Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
So are there any good tools out there for finding people to wargame with face to face in a given area? I'd love to get in more plays but have very little interest in PBEM, Vassal, etc.

BTW, I'm in the Denver-metro area.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to find face-to-face wargaming opportunities?
Try searching for Wargaming "Yahoo Groups" (groups.yahoo.com) in the Denver area and then join one to see what's going on.

Try going to some of the local conventions near your area to meet other F2F gamers.

Find some local stores that support wargames and ask who the wargamers are and when and if they play at the store. In the Denver area, Attacktix comes to mind (I've shipped some games there).

On TMP, I found this thread searching for the same thing:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=148810

They mention Attacktix, and as far as cons, Genghis Con and Tacticon.

Also mentioned is a club in that area, Colorado Military Historians. A quick Google Search found their site, but it did not load, so that one may not pan out.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a fairly active gaming group on BGG that's in the Denver area. I would guess that once you locat them, you can ask about wargaming opportunities with their members. If there aren't any wargamers among them, I'm sure they can direct you in the right direction.

There's a weekly Geeklist of their activities. Search the keyword "Denver".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cowles
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya - if you click on the flag under your name you get to BGG's universal browser and can filter by State and City.
btdt - and mega depressed at being the only Brit BGG member in Southern Spain shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, you might want to give the "gamefinder" a try. Click on this link below, and then enter your zip code. Takes a minute or two to load, so be patient. I don't bother with a radius either. Click on the Red location marker and that will give you the person's name. Contact them through BGG mail and ask if they are into "wargames"! I am sure you can find someone.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamerfinder.php

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah use the BGG tools mentioned. Basically if you live in metro area you will find people and often clubs. And look at game clubs who don't specialize, I've seen and heard of groups more than happy to try war games - even our classic hex and counter games.

I used to be in the same boat but once I reached out to people, I seem to have more opponents than time! Great folks too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of good places to look:

http://www.cmhweb.org

CMH is a Denver area Histroical gaming club, with regular open Friday Night
Fights

There are also at least two good stores with gaming areas and large crowds that aren't just Warhammer/40K folks:

http://www.totalescapegames.com

http://www.valhallas.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to investigate in your close neighbourhood. If you find one proper person, you could easily set up a gaming session with such a neighbour. I was very lucky in such searching. We live in an out-of-town new village with new houses. Several years ago we invited a couple from a nearby house for a "welcome drink". I realised the guy is interested in wars and history and took a chance; I showed him one of my wargames and he got hooked at once, although he had never played a wargame before. Since then we meet once a week an FIGHT BLOODY PAPER BATTLES like madmen. I was lucky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I'm down in the Pueblo area.

Try looking up FRASL (Front Range ASL) if you like ASL. There are players all over from what I remember a few years ago. There are other Denver area groups that post game night play lists, you could try contacting them also.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to post on the Denver Games Yahoo group. I'll bet there are a few wargame players who pay attention there, though its certainly not the usual fare at the game sessions.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/denvergames/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Checkallday wrote:
Hey there,
So are there any good tools out there for finding people to wargame with face to face in a given area? I'd love to get in more plays but have very little interest in PBEM, Vassal, etc.

BTW, I'm in the Denver-metro area.

Thanks!

Attactix on hampden and chambers out in Aurora is a grognard stronghold. Definitely worth checking out. I don't know what their schedule is, but both gaming rooms are used ALL THE TIME. Call them to see what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.