Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone played both and care to comment?

I have pondered sinking the serious coinage into a used copy of up front since I let mine go back in about 1985 and have missed it since.
When I saw this in the store today I took it directly to the cashier and came home.

Just curious how simliar this is to AH Up Front from year ago.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Peruse this maybe:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/503033/brief-review-from...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twthomas wrote:
Anyone played both and care to comment?

I have pondered sinking the serious coinage into a used copy of up front since I let mine go back in about 1985 and have missed it since.
When I saw this in the store today I took it directly to the cashier and came home.

Just curious how simliar this is to AH Up Front from year ago.

Thanks

There's a whole review dedicated to the comparison in the review section which you might want to check out. Anyway, I'll give my two cents, as I'm an old Up Front player who bought Frontline specifically because I was looking for something to scratch the Up Front itch.

The basic concept is very much the same, so I'll outline what I think are the major differences:

1) Fixed terrain. Instead of terrain being something that you draw randomly, you are maneuvering back and forth across a set battlefield. While there is definitely something to be said for the way unexpected terrain would come up in UF, Frontline's approach is really superior. You can leave terrain and then retreat back into it as necessary, and you have a good feel for what your terrain objectives should be. Thankfully, there are no line of sight rules to clutter things up.

2) There is no lateral relationship between sections. In UF, you are very concerned with how your sections are set up so you can use flanking movement. Flanking movement in Frontline is abstracted into the cards and is more of a vertical issue (the further you advance, the higher your flanking bonus, so you can get behind enemy units and really tear them up if you so choose).

3) Nationality and doctrine are handled differently. In UF, each nationality has different hand sizes and discard capacities, which added a lot of flavor. In Frontline, the differences in nationalities comes with the individual soldier ratings and the equipment options. Honestly, UF is more fun in this regard, though not necessarily more realistic.

4) There is a greater variety of outcomes to fire. In addition to being pinned or killed, you can suffer morale hits or wounds. This is integrated very cleverly into terrain effects, so you will take more damage in light cover than in heavy cover. Smart, elegant, simple mechanism.

5) Firefights have more of a simultaneous feel in Frontline due to the Counterattack rules. Instead of having an IGO-UGO style firefight where you drop a fire card in your turn, then your opponent plays a fire card in their turn, you get immediate fire and counterfire. It's a clever system. That said, there ends up being a different feel to fire and movement. In UF, it felt very organic to utilize fire and movement concepts--you have your firebase lay down fire with a fire card while your maneuver group advances to cover, then you switch it up. Frontline feels a bit more like an impulse game along the Storm of Arnhem lines, as you have to carefully order your actions to strip enemy sections of their capacity, then engage in a firefight that effectively covers a sections movement. You'll see when you set the game up how different the feel is in this regard.

6) You don't spend as much time waiting for cards in Frontline because you can always play a default move, attack or counterattack. I'd forgotten how much time you could spend doing nothing in UF until I started playing some Vassal games recently, but suffice to say, there can be some significant lulls in combat. Frontline is a quicker, deadlier game, where it's hard to go more than a few turns without taking serious damage.

7) Frontline is radically more streamlined. Instead of convoluted rules for weapons exchange or infiltration and close combat, Frontline handles everything with extreme simplicity (this is a good thing). As a result, it's painless to play with mortars, painless to play with vehicles, basically just painless to play.

I think you'll be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I appologize for the extra thread but I was so excited to have
found this game I couldn't wait to post before reading the rest of the posts.

Either way, I am very excited about this box of gaming goodness.

Also just got my copy of Twilight Struggle today... decisions decisions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another big difference: in Frontline almost all attacks result to some kind of hits.
In Up Front a lot of fire goes to misses.
There is a totally different filling of the way the battle resolves.

In UF you need specific cards to do specific things. There is a lot of unpredictability.
In FL you can do anything even without the correct cards. Not chaotic situations here.

In UF everything has a rule and at least two exceptions, a good thing if you
like this kind of games.
In FL every aspect is very simple, a good thing if you prefer simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a perfect world, every wargamer would have both.

And in a perfect world, the new upgraded UF would finally be released!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.