Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wargaming partner Dan and I just began our latest foray into the musty vaults of the Avalon Hill classics - Battle of the Bulge '65. As we are playing during the occasional workday evening, this game will take several sessions to complete. We are playing with the Tournament rules, less the "one-way traffic" rules, and no optional rules. I plan on posting our progress to this thread. I have taken on the role of Field Marshal Gerd Von Rundstedt, overall commander of Oberbefehlshaber West while Dan has assumed the role of General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Supreme Allied Commander! I will be reporting this game from my perspective...

This is my initial situation report to the Fuhrer bunker on Operation Wacht Am Rhein, our attack in the Ardennes! The battle is but 36 hours old, but we have already made great strides towards our objective of the Meuse! As can be seen from the briefing maps provided below, our initial assaults were completely successful, and we have already captured the strategic points of Clervaux, St. Vith, and Vielsalm. Our armored spearhead, led by Panzer Lehr, the 2nd and the 116th Panzer divisions, are prepared to encircle and capture Bastogne, a critical road hub. Further north, the 1st and 9th SS Panzer divisions are slicing through the American defenses like a hot knife through butter! This evening, December 17 PM, our plans are to capture Martelange, Bastogne, and Houffalize, while pushing on to La Roche. Once we are clear of the Ourthe River, we will push with all of our might towards the Meuse, and to victory!

Situation: December 16 - AM:

Our Wehrmacht troops hit the Americans in six places, resulting in the complete annihilation of three American regiments!

Situation: December 16 - PM:

American resistance has proven weak and ineffective. Our forces advanced quickly along the entire front.

Situation: December 17 - AM:

The Americans have retreated most of their forces from Bastogne, leaving only a token infantry regiment. This is a mistake on their part, one for which we will make them pay dearly!

Stay tuned, as I will post additional reports as Dan and I make our way through this classic entry in the Avalon Hill wargame catalog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see a session report on this underrated gem. I await the results herr Runstedt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report so far. Have the Panzer Armies lost anything to speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug1020 wrote:
Great report so far. Have the Panzer Armies lost anything to speak of?

No losses whatsoever to this point! All German formations are intact through the first three turns of the game. The Americans on the other hand have lost a total of six (6) regiments - five infantry plus the 14th Armored Cavalry. The entire US 106th Infantry division has been destroyed!

At this point, the only concern I have is that I am having to use my infantry to guard the flanks of the advance, lest the American reinforcements cut in behind my spearhead and cut my supply lines. This is depriving me of useful infantry for soak-offs and loss-taking in my attacks, which means sooner or later I'm going to start losing panzers in exchanges and such. Of course, I also get some powerful reinforcements soon, so I can take some losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

Thank you for the maps, I know how long they can take to document moves well, it is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah.. thanks for the memories.

This edition of Battle of the Bulge was the first non-mass-market game I ever played. The one that got me started down the long road toward geekdom.

Nice report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new report has been posted!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/511689/over-the-ourthe-b...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

The most recent report:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/523435/struggle-for-the-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.