Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't point to any precise date but it seems to me that some significant site modification in the past couple months may have altered its performance.

I have a practice of looking at thread titles on the front page and clicking those of interest so that they open in new tabs in my browser. I set up several and then start reading.

Right now when I open as few as two or three of them the response already gets near to a halt. My computer may be plenty old enough (low memory) to be declared insufficient, but this was not the limit six months ago.

Originally I even considered whether or not I might have a subtle piece of malware or some other behind-the-scenes software change (but of course that leaves me open to comments that coming here so much is itself the sickness). So I'm wondering whether others have seen similar issues.

For amusement, I opened "windows task manager" (ctrl-alt-delete) and started watching the graph. The meter pegs and holds in a way I don't experience elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ross
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have performance issues when browsing BGG on my netbook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately slower than before. I also have problems with many of the Ajax links, which often seem to stall and require a 2nd press to succeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have particular complaints about speed when I have just a single window/tab open. It's when I get to multiple tabs that it really shows.

Here's an unscientific experiment I just tried. I had THREE tabs open and just let it sit there. With nothing else running (except the Windows Task Manager) CPU Usage hovered around 60% and higher and it was actively fluctuating.

I shut those down and went to another site that I thought might be a test of screen business, NASCAR.COM. Over there I opened SIX tabs with different news articles. At complete idle CPU usage dropped into single digits.

BGG ads ? other BGG features? animated avatars ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Same here. BoardGameGeek is very slow.

Humor me on this, Tom: Clear out your browser's history. This will give some people a BGG speed boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your multiple-tab method caught my eye because it is the same method I use, both for the front page articles and also my subscriptions.

However, I have not experienced any slow downs. I often have a LOT (30 or more) of tabs opening up at almost the same time and they seem to load at the same quick speed they did before.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding the important comparative point that I'm using the same method you are without the performance problems.

As an additional point, when at work and checking BGG, I often have a lot of other apps open in other windows as well (presumably taking up physical memory, swap-file memory, and processor loads) and I have not noticed any slow downs in BGG loading or performance.

BTW, I'm using Firefox 3.6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Humor me on this, Tom: Clear out your browser's history.
I cannot report a change in performance yet, but that was indeed worth doing.

Deleting Temporary Files only I eliminated 3/4 of them. This puzzles me a bit since I thought I had done that just in January for the first time in a year or two, while I was freeing up disk space in general and preparing to Defrag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Macbride
Australia
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, BGG is an amazing resource hog. Each BGG browser tab sucks about 25% of my CPU usage. (Or, to put it another way, each BGG tab sucks more CPU than the other 15 tabs I have open!)

Blocking yui.yahooapis.com brings CPU usage to a normal level. Unfortunately, this means that some of the navigation bar stops working!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This cross reference might or might not be an explanation:

JeffyJeff wrote:
BGG pages now have some javascript on a timer going to some site performing a "heart beat" or something...

from

What's the crap with BGG pages now on a timer accessing chartbeat.com?

I have continued casual running of "Windows Task Manager" to watch usage levels on my machine. All I know is that opening up several tabs of BGG does seem to increase KB of mem usage more than multliple windows at other sites.

But more significantly it seems to put CPU usage near maximum percentage more so than other sites. It makes for very much reduced response to changing tabs. Almost feels like I'm back on dial-up, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
This stuff is killing me- my desktop gets glacial when BGG is running.

Where do I look, in Firefox, to block yui.yahooapis.com? I looked in the network preferences but didn't see an option to block particular sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
The firefox extension noscript is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Jeff Chunko wrote:
The firefox extension noscript is your friend.

This made a big difference to my desktop performance running BGG- thanks, Jeff.

My computer doesn't seem to be wandering off anymore- spinning cycles on the internets, for no apparent reason. (It really slowed my system down when I had BGG windows open- now, things remain snappy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Try PIMP your browser with a BGG/RPG/VG look - a.k.a. The Most Outstanding Firefox / Safari / Opera / Chrome Addons You Love, And Why...
for more tips, aids, and tricks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.