Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This review deals with the quality of the components.

After months of waiting, my sister finally came to visit and brought with her my copy of SH. I tried to control myself and put the game aside so we could talk, but I couldnt help opening it up after a few minutes! I popped out a few of the board sections, then caressed them as innocently as I could muster, while she complained about the weight of the box!

I managed to pack it away until that evening, but the miniatures, board section and other bits were all ready for play before I went to bed. I even went in to work late so I could finish reading the rule-book this morning.

I already know the game is good, but I must say, even after all the hype, I was immensely impressed with the production values. The miniatures fit together so well, without the need for a drop of glue. So well, that you can hardly see the joins sometimes. The detail is incredible, so much so, that I am nervous to apply paint to them - and I am not too bad at painting miniatures! A small complaint (if you can call it that) is that there is so much detail, that when removing the pieces from the sprue, its easy to cut off a part of the model by mistake, so examine carefully before cutting it off. Be especially careful not to remove the "sticks" that are used to fit the pieces together (although gluing them together without these is still possible).

The cardboard pieces are also as well made. They are thick, and should last a lifetime. As if this was not enough, they are also laminated with a film, that should give further protection. Once again though, when removing the counters, I had to be careful not to have this laminate lift off slightly on the edges. The final effect though has more a feel of smooth plastic than cardboard. I wouldnt have the nerve to test it, but the feeling is they could even get exposed to a little water and not be too worse off.

This quality extends to the rulebooks and even the box. The box also has the same varnished look and feel, and the books are a great quality paper.

I'm looking forward to my first play!

Edit:
So I had my first play this weekend and the game-play does live up to the components. Couple of things I noticed while playing (still relating to the components). They are mostly minor complaints, but to be a fair review, I should still mention them.
- The hour-glass timer got stuck (sand stopped pouring through). It seems to have improved after a couple of plays, but I will keep an eye on it.
- As good as the miniatures are, the fact GW have chosen to craft every models base uniquely (no use of the standard round or hexagonal bases) and the poses are so varied, means you have to be careful about facing (I used to mark the bases with paint for forward facing). I could see arguments about facing occuring.
- The models also tend to sprawl out beyond their square - and combined with all the detail - they sometimes hook each other, so cramped battles make removing casualties and moves tricky.
- The purple arrow entry markers. They are always getting bumped around. It would have been clever to make them clip into the end of the corridor/room like any other board piece. There were still lots of cardboard sprue space left over after punching, so GW could have used this (or at least added in a few extra doors, corridors or even a room).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this edition of SH has the best quality components of any game I own, and I got a few. GW did a tremendous job of redeveloping the board pieces with the indented detail, color and thickness. The miniatures are truly some of the best sculpt they have ever produced and fantastically detailed. Having played the second edition but not the first, I would say the new rules are much better and provide a very tactful experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roberious wrote:
Having played the second edition but not the first, I would say the new rules are much better and provide a very tactful experience.

Did you mean tactical? Or maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes very tactical indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thick cardboard and detailed miniatures make it a tactile experience as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.