Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hawthorne
United States
Freedom
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello,

I liked the concept of a quick dice game with a football theme, but the rules as is demanded that I tweak it a little to add a little more depth and strategy. Everything is the same as the standard game with a few tweaks listed below.

Rule change 1: I added a defense D12 to the dice rolled. There is too much offense and too little defense. Its way too easy to score. If the defense die is rolled off the table and you are using the delay of game optional rule, its treated just like you rolled the QB die off the table.

The defense die works like this.

12: Dominating Defense. -5 to the yardage gained. If there is a penalty, you can only take the -5 if the penalty is on the offense and you don't accept the penalty. Offense cannot break tackles. see rule 3.

10 or 11: Great defensive play. The defense may choose any dice to be rerolled including the QB die. (Penalties cannot be rerolled)
2 through 9: Nothing
1: Defense out of position. The offense may choose any dice to be rerolled including the QB die. (Penalties cannot be rerolled)

Rule change 2: You can ONLY select 1 die each play. This does 2 things.

First thing it does is prevent cheesy thing like a roll of 6-2-1-1, Thats 10 yards but that also means they went for it on 4th down. Going for it on 4th down should be a gamble. You shouldn't know you are going to make it.

Second thing it does is that it makes you roll the QB die and defense die more often which adds more difficulty to the game.

Rule change 3: break tackles with the green dice. This rule is to balance the other 2 rules making offense more difficult and it also solves the complaint that you cant make a 1st down without the big play die.

It works like this: If you choose a green die as your play, you can choose to roll the die again. This represents the player breaking tackles and pressing forward.

If the result is positive, you can add the yards to your previous roll and you may choose to press again.

If the result is 0, you are tackled and must take the result you had before you rolled the 0.

If the result is negative, FUMBLE!!!! Roll the possession die. Whoever wins the ball gets it on the yard where the fumble occurred. Ex. you roll a -2 for the play, you press on and roll a 3, you press and get a -2(fumble). -2 + 3 = 1. the ball starts 1 yard from the previous play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like fun! Quick question: do you still roll the blue die? I assume you pick (and roll) a single green die if you choose to press your luck. Is this right?

I've always disliked the blue die. It generates too many big swings. I wonder if the defense can nullify a blue die in some way (it seems that forcing a re-roll may actually help the offense).

How about something like this, unless you've figured out another way:

1) The defense rolls a standard 12-sided die with each offensive roll.
2) The offense can choose to either roll the green dice or the blue die. The green dice represent a running play; the blue dice represent a passing play.
3) Prior to the roll, the offensive player takes either the blue die or a single green die into his/her hand (deciding on a run or pass play). The defense calls out either "run" or "pass." The offense reveals the die.
3) If the offense chooses a passing play, the offensive player only rolls the QB and the blue dice (no green dice). If the defense player rolls called out a "pass play," then the defense rolls the die with the following results: A defensive roll of 11 or 12 is an interception; a defense roll of 7, 8, 9 or 10 is an incomplete pass; a defense roll of 1 allows the offensive player to re-roll the blue die and add the result (obviously a TD on either roll is a touchdown). If the defense called out "run," then the OP's original defense die rules apply (exception - make the 12 result equal to the 11 result).
4) if the offense chooses a running play, roll offense dice as per the OP's original rules (including pressing for more yardage). If the defense called out "pass," then only a defense roll of 1 allows a re-roll of any die (all other defense die results have no effect).

For clarification: the offense always rolls first, even in the event of re-rolls.

I still have to test this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the combined variant a few minutes ago. It was alot of fun!

Here are some modifications:

1) During a pass play - roll the QB die, all three green dice *and* the blue die. They player may choose to ONE green die (in the case that the defense forces a re-roll of the blue die and it ends up with a bad result). The player may NOT re-roll the green die (pressing his/her luck).

2) During a run play - roll the QB die, all three green dice but NOT the blue die.

3) The game lasts over two halves. Each half has exactly four series. A series is defined as a group of several plays, sometimes back and forth between teams, that ends with either a score or a fourth down punt. Any numnber of turnovers may happen during a series - Team A may fumble the ball to Team B, who may lose posseion through interception to Team A, etc. several times until either a score happens or one team punts (fourth down only) to the other.

I will try this a few times with my son and post any thoughts. Please let me know what you think. I'm also hoping the OP responds with his original ideas regarding the blue die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Larsen
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Lawrence - good posts. These add a lot to the game. I'm gonna try them out. I just got a copy of this game. Fun and simple. Once your done with rules that seem to work best - will you post them in a printable document?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Larsen
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason - I tried your rules first - they work really well and added a lot to the game. Thanks. Lawrence haven't had an opportunity to try yours yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Morshuggah
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to try out your rule variations!

Request: Mutant League Football variant arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like the fixed number of possessions so I checked with NFL stats and the average range of plays per game is 120 to 140. I now play 30 plays per quarter (that allows me to assign a clock time to the start of each play - 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, etc.), which means you can have possession of the ball but run out of time at the end of halves. I find it more interesting this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Palmer
msg tools
During the 4th quarter, the trailing team may elect to re-roll the QB and Big Play dice.

The first roll of the QB die must have been a football. The Big Play die cannot already been used during that set of downs.

We wanted to give the losing team a better opportunity to make the triumphant comeback (or the disastrous turnover) that happens in real football. It gives them the opportunity to take larger risk/reward chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill meyer
msg tools
USING A CLOCK/CLOCK MANAGEMENT

the clock idea is great and I like the set #of 30 markers (pennies work) per quarter I modified it a little bit by taking 1 for a green die (used in the play) and take 2 for the blue die.
A) the blue die may used past end of the quarter of half.
B) 2 minute warning working the same way as end of quarter but the clock stops at 5 markers remaining at end of the 2nd and 4th quarter
C) Kick Offs, Field Goals and Punts take 1 marker except for touchbacks which take no time, accepted penalties take no time as well as extra pts and 2pt conv.
D) each team has 2 time outs per half, simply call for a time out before play dice are rolled and the next play die used takes no time off the clock

DEFENSIVE DICE

As far as defensive play maybe try this out ?? give each team a green d6 and a blue d6.
1) when a player wants to use a defensive die place either the green or blue die in the cup with the offensive dice.
2)if a 3 + is rolled on defensive d6 die, the player can choose to either force a die or remove a die of choice of the same color die. for example green d6 die effects green play dice blue d6 effects blue play dice.
3) the green die can be used 4x each half and the blue die can be used 2x each half.
4) If a turnover is shown on the QB die and the defense has their die in play dice cup, the defense takes possession and the possession die is not used.

OTHER HOUSE RULES

A) use Jason Hawthorne's idea
1) using only one die per down,
2) break tackle rules, with a small tweak, break tackle rule can only be used if you choose the green die with a circle 3

B)QB SACKS
1) roll a d12 and the penalty die
2)the result of the d12 being the yards lost for the sack
3) A penalty ONLY ! occurs if, the HAND (def holding 5 yds auto 1st down ) or the offsetting arrows (replay the down) is rolled on the penalty die, ignore any other result
4)QB sacks require one play die to be removed for the down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.