Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play with the Base Game, and I am interested in refining the cards to seek slightly more balance in strategies. It seems that the expansions helped out some strategies and take place in a storyline, but I'd like to put that into our Base Game. BTW, I also love the idea of a storyline and would like to hear MORE about the Galaxy that the game takes place in.

One card I would start with Upgrading would be Research Labs with ideas seen in other forums.

Title "Alien Research Labs" (ups the Alien Strategy a bit)

Powers:
Explore: Keep 1
Trade: Discard a card (1 time) for 1 point, can not be doubled (increases trade strategy, and additional trade league bonus)
Consume: Consume green good for 1 point and 2 cards (ups the Green strategy a bit)
Produce: Receive one card for each Alien good you produce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cost keeps the same this seems a bit overpowered. I agree that research labs is one of the weaker/more niche cards but this one has too many powers for it's cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tevacircus wrote:
Trade: Discard a card (1 time) for 1 point, can not be doubled (increases trade strategy, and additional trade league bonus)

This sounds like a consume power, but you have it listed under trade. *confused*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I listed it as a power that would only be available to the person who chooses "trade." This seems to be the case with a power on the upcoming "Prestige/Search" Action card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, tone down the IV a bit? Make it 1 green good to yield 1 VP and 1 card.

I probably would UPLIFT instead/in addition to ALIEN, but I will admit, this particular suggestion is biased somewhat by me thinking the UPFLIFT strategy could use another 2pt card for Uplift Code.

For further reading if any of you so should desire, some posts about Research Labs here, but some of it is discussed with 1 or both expansions in mind.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4790615

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For the BASE GAME all aired changes would probably make the balance point of Research Labs a little more sane. In the BASE GAME RL as published is an auto-discard 99% of the time. For the same cost you get Diversified Economy, the most powerful card in the base game.

Funny thing is, I'm not sure research labs is a total loser in RvI anymore. Its actually starting to enjoy a Terraforming Robots style rennissance. The Explore Most Goal helps, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DE > Gal Fed?

I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Funny thing is, I'm not sure research labs is a total loser in RvI anymore. Its actually starting to enjoy a Terraforming Robots style rennissance. The Explore Most Goal helps, obviously.
FWIW, I found Terraforming Robots to be pretty good in the base game. It's just that the expansions made it even better

In those rarer cases (for me) where games go up to 5 or 6 players with the expansions. I feel better about building RL. There's a much better chance someone's gonna call I, and more often at that, giving you a 2 card flow at the beginning of the round.

In smaller groups, if you anticipate your opponents need to rely on I to get their tableaux going, putting down RL may stop them cold for Explores.

rrenaud wrote:
DE > Gal Fed?

I doubt it.
I agree (and I'm assuming that statement translate to "DE better than GF". I've seen some use the greater than sign in weird ways), but this seems to be an apples to oranges comparison. A 4-cost dev is typically gonna be inferior to a 6-cost one, unless I'm mussing something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point isn't that GalFed is more powerful than DE after it's in your tableau. Rob's point (which I agree with) is that it's a better card in totality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DE = Diversified Economy
In base set, GalFed only gets cardflow with four cards.

Diversified Economy gets cardflow with over half the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Resarch Labs has consume Gene for 1VP+1ard, I think it'd be a much better card, as then in most cases there'd be two things you could happyily use on it.

I do like RL with Damaged Alien Factory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Research Labs will get another nudge towards respectability with this new card from The Brink of War.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/693303/race-for-the-galax...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo, Research labs is just one moderate improvement from being perfectly decent. Its the consume power that I think is a bit underwhelming. Green for pt+card would make it better, it would then have 3 useful abilities and using any 2 would make it good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brough
msg tools
mbmb
scwont wrote:
Research Labs will get another nudge towards respectability with this new card from The Brink of War.

Research Labs is exactly what I was thinking of when I came up with the idea for that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
smestorp wrote:
scwont wrote:

Research Labs is exactly what I was thinking of when I came up with the idea for that card.

Wow, you think really obtusely. If boosting Research Labs were my goal, I'd have sumbitted something like this:

THE SINGULARITY
6-cost development
Game End: Research Labs = +100000000000000000000000000000000 vp.

There! Research Labs is now perfectly great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:

THE SINGULARITY
6-cost development

I think you mean "2658455991569831744654692615953842176", not "100000000000000000000000000000000".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
MrWeasely wrote:

THE SINGULARITY
6-cost development

I think you mean "2658455991569831744654692615953842176", not "100000000000000000000000000000000".

No, that's TERRAFORMING Singularity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.