Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so when I put up the houserules that my brothers and I had come up with for the marines, I put them in the rules section instead of here, where they belong (oops!)

These rules for the genestealer side are designed to give the stealer player more options during a game, and loosely follow (for the most part) the biomorph list from Warhammer 40k. These rules are also designed to be used WITH the houserules that we designed for the marines, to keep things remotely balanced for both sides.

The biomorphs (with the exception of scuttling) will work this way: anytime the genestealer player VOLUNTARILY reveals a blip with 3 genestealers in it, he can choose to replace it with a SINGLE genestealer with a biomorph from this list.

Scything Talons: One of the genestealers pairs of arms ends with a pair of razor sharp blades, instead of the typical claws. This genestealer may take a free close combat action with every move action.

Extended Carapace: The genestealer's carapace has grown larger than normal, covering joints, and other parts of its body that may be vulnerable in combat. This genestealer gets to make the marine player re-roll any one die in their attack roll, whether it is a ranged one, or a close combat roll.

Acid Maw: The genestealers tongue drips with a potent acid, that is usually used to break down the bodies of their victims, but has other uses as well... For 2 AP, this genestealer can soak the tile directly in front of it with acid, forcing any marine who steps through it to spend double the AP when moving on the square (this includes turning.) Genestealers are never effected by this, and can move normally.

Flesh Hooks: The genestealer's tongue has been upgraded into a mass of hooks, designed to snare their prey, and drag them near, to their doom. A genestealer with the flesh hooks upgrade may spend 3 AP to target a marine with in 3 spaces that is within line of sight. The genestealer rolls 2 dice. If either of the dice is a 5+, the flesh hooks have ensnared the marine, who is pulled to the square directly in front of the stealer, without changing facing. If the marine is facing the hooking stealer, the use of the hooks DOES count as an action, and the marine may react as per normal rules.

Feeder Tendrils: This genestealer's tongue is upgraded so that it can taste its prey, and surmise their anatomy and weaknesses. This information is immediately transferred to other genestealers nearby. A genestealer with this upgrade will roll 4 dice in close combat, instead of the typical 3. In addition, any other genestealers who can.get adjacent to this one also get the same bonus. (It would then behoove a genestealer player to take this upgrade if they have a large mass of stealers on the board, move the upgraded one near the intended victim, and then have the others swarm and attack, for the best results.)

Toxin Sacs: The genestealer has tiny parasites feeding off of his body. These tiny creatures excrete a deadly poison, that will often coat the claws of the genestealer, making it even deadlier in close quarters. This genestealer can opt to spend 3 AP to close assault a marine as normal, but now, with the poison at work, and roll of 6 on any of the dice results in the marine dying from the wracking toxin. If the marine managed to win the roll, the genestealer dies, but the marine dies as well.

Adrenal Glands: I know that this biomorph isn't a genestealer upgrade in Warhammer 40k, but we decided to replace Implant Attack with this one, because we felt it was too similar to some of the other biomorphs. All you hardcore 40k Tyranid players can hound me later. =) The rules for adrenal glands are simple. The genestealer player can move 2 spaces instantly for 2 AP. This is because the genestealer is moving faster than a normal stealer. A marine can now only shoot at the genestealer every 2 spaces instead of one. This can also be useful for a genestealer player in letting him have a stealer cross an intersection without being shot at.

Scuttling: Probably my favorite on the list, this one really keeps the marines on their toes. Unlike the other biomorphs, where you reveal a 3 blip on the board or lurking to trade for 1 with the biomorph, this one MUST be revealed while it is OFF the board. It is traded for a single genestealer, which can immediately be placed on any square withing 4 spaces of a marine, that does not, and never did have a door on it. The idea is that the genestealer is using a network of unnoticed vents, or other spaces behind the walls of the hulk, and breaks through the floor or the walls, or perhaps even the ceiling, to ambush the unsuspecting marines! FUN! One added note: The genestealer placed on the board as the result of becoming a scuttler doesn't get to take any other action this turn.

Anyway, there are the 8 biomorph variant rules we've come up with for the stealer side. Again, like the marines rules, these are a work in progress, and feedback and input would be great! If anyone has any comments or gripes or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment here for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Haux
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these rules rock man, and make the stealers WAY more terrifying. The feeding tendrils rule seems a little OP. I would suggest not 4D6 but instead a re-roll of any one die, and that any GS in LOS to the stealer with the upgrade gets the bonus. Just my take on it.

PS: your scuttling rule is hell on wheels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This rocks. However, how will you identify these biomorphs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
crashman wrote:
I would suggest not 4D6 but instead a re-roll of any one die, and that any GS in LOS to the stealer with the upgrade gets the bonus.

A re-roll is marginally stronger than an extra die. Combine that with anyone in LOS getting the bonus and you've made a power you consider overpowered more so.

To the original poster: Nice ideas, but I'm not sure I even like the variation in marine equipment in 3rd, so further complications don't really appeal.

It'd be fun modding the figures though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston Jones
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice stuff, I quite like the "acid maw" biomorph.
I've come up with several biomorph rules, and I might swap a few with yours actually.
For my Implant Attack I have: If a marine survives a close assault round against a stealer with this biomorph, make a saving roll at 4+, if failed on the marine players next turn, the surviving marine loses all AP as his body struggles to fight the infection from the implant. CP may be spent on this marine though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty wicked idea with the implant biomorph! Going to have to bring this up with my brothers! As for keeping track of the morphs, we just got out a bunch of pieces of paper with the morphs listed on them and set them down next to the stealers like you would an overwatch marker for a marine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rylore wrote:
Scuttling: Probably my favorite on the list, this one really keeps the marines on their toes. Unlike the other biomorphs, where you reveal a 3 blip on the board or lurking to trade for 1 with the biomorph, this one MUST be revealed while it is OFF the board. It is traded for a single genestealer, which can immediately be placed on any square withing 4 spaces of a marine, that does not, and never did have a door on it. The idea is that the genestealer is using a network of unnoticed vents, or other spaces behind the walls of the hulk, and breaks through the floor or the walls, or perhaps even the ceiling, to ambush the unsuspecting marines! FUN! One added note: The genestealer placed on the board as the result of becoming a scuttler doesn't get to take any other action this turn.

Somehow this makes the breaking-through-floor Genestealer minis seem especially cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.