flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
WW - Highlander! There can only be one!

14 players
start date: April 19
Dusk: 2pm, BGG
Dawn: 5pm, BGG

This is a game set in the movie Highlander, although I'm going to keep the roles generic. It is, like most of my games, not quite Werewolf. It is inspired partly by Kima's Master of Evil Bar and Fight Club game. It is also an attempt to prove out a concept I have for doing a Villains game based on the Champions rules.

The game has no lynch and no nightkill - just fighting. Those who decide to fight and hope they get lucky will lose. Those who do the best job of persuading their fellow players to help them, through truth or otherwise, and then sticking the knife in when their "allies" aren't watching, will win. Or at least, will get to square off against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: WW - Highlander! In Signup - starts April 19!
Reserved: Results for each round will be posted here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Rules

Roles

Each player has the following attributes:
Attack - expressed as a number of dice. Attack is rolled each time a battle occurs. Starting Dice may have 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 sides. 16 and 20 sided dice are also available as upgrades.
Defense - a single number. Defense is always constant.
Special Ability - see below for a list of possible special abilities
Alignment - Good, Neutral, or Evil. Your alignment affects your ability to work with others, and your victory conditions. At the start of the game, there will be 6 Evil players, 5 Neutrals, and 3 Goods.

All players start with a character based on 12 points - see the "upgrades" section for point costs of attack and defense, and the "special abilities" section for point costs of abilities. Character attributes are determined by the mod before game start.

Game Cycle
The game will be played as a series of rounds. Each round will consist of the following steps:
1) Announce results of last round - players killed in the preceding round will be announced
2) Announce any new skills available for purchase
3) Open Chats - Each player will be allowed to open one chat room with as many participants as they would like for the cycle
4) Submit Orders - each player will be required to submit orders by the order deadline
5) Special Abilities resolved - Special abilities that provide information will be processed as soon as possible during the day. Special Abilities that affect combat will be processed just before combat.
6) Resolve Combats - all combats will be resolved, and results communicated

Chats
Each player may open a single chat room each day with any number of other players. The player opening the chat room will be listed in the room title (i.e., R2 - bwt2q is the chat room opened by bwt2q during round 2). Chat rooms will be opened at dawn for those players who submit orders before dawn. Players who wait until after dawn to specify chat rooms will have their chats opened when I see the order - which may or may not be prompt. Players will always be listed by their correct name in chats, unless a power or ability allows otherwise.

Orders
Each round, players have the following options:

Attack a player - you fight that player at your normal attack and defense values

Defend - you gain an attack multiplier of 2/3 and a defense multiplier of 1.333 for the round

Counter-Attack against a specific player - If that player attacks you, alone or in a group, your attack value for that combat is the sum of your attack and normal defense, and your defense is multiplied by 1.5. Against any other attacker, your attack and defense are both multiplied by 2/3.

Combined Attacks or Defense - Players may agree to combine attacks on a single target, or to defend together. Each player may only attack or defend with one other player per round, and both players in the pair must submit orders to that effect - if only one player submits orders for a combined attack or defense, then both players will attack or defend separately.

Example1: Sparky and Belash have agreed that they will combine to attack kimapesan. Both submit the order "Attack kimapesan with Belash/Sparky". They attack Kima together, following the 2 v 1 rules for battles below, or 2 v 2 rules if kima is defending with someone.

Example 2: Sparky and Belash have agreed that they will combine to attack kimapesan. Sparky submits the order "Attack kimapesan with Belash". Belash submits the order "Attack Kimapesan". They attack kima separately.

Alignment affects your ability to attack or defend with another player. Good players may only combine with good players or neutrals. Neutral players may combine with any other player. Evil players may only combine with neutral players. Orders to combine attack or defense with another player of illegal alignment will result in the order being treated as a regular (not combined) attack or defense order.

Combined attacks are given priority in combat resolution. Combined defense will affect all attacks on both players that round.

Battles

1 v 1 Battles - Normally, a battle involves a single attacker and a single defender. Each player's attack value is compared against the other player's defense value. If only one player's attack is higher than the other's defense, that player wins, and the other player dies. If both players beat their opponent's defense, then the player with the greater differential wins the combat, and the other player dies. Ties in differential result in a draw, and neither player dies. If both players fail to beat their opponent's defense, the battle is a draw, and neither player dies.

2 v 1 Battles - when two players attack a player together, the attackers combine their attack values for the purpose of determining whether their attack succeeds. The defender's attack is rolled, multiplied by 3/4, and then applied against each of the attackers' defenses separately. If all three attacks succeed, the two highest differentials kill their targets - ties in the bottom two differentials result in only one kill, and a tie between all three differentials results in no kill. If less than three attacks succeed, all successful attacks result in a kill.

1 v 2 Battles - when one player attacks two players defending together, the defenders combine their defense values for the purpose of determining whether the attack succeeds. Each defender also compares their attack value against the attacker's defense separately. If all three attacks succeed, the two highest differentials kill their targets - ties in the bottom two differentials result in only one kill, and a tie between all three differentials results in no kill. If less than three attacks succeed, all successful attacks result in a kill.

2 v 2 battles - When two players attack together against two players defending together, each pair combines attack and defense values, and compares combined attack against combined defense. If one pair wins both comparisons, the other pair are both killed. If both pairs succeed in their attacks, then the pair with the higher differential wins. Of the losing pair, the player with the lower defense is killed, and the other escapes. If they have the same defense, the player who contributed less attack dies. If both had the same attack, one is randomly killed. If there is a tie in the differentials, the combat is a draw. If both pairs fail in their attacks, the combat is a draw.

Resolution Order
Whenever possible, the combats will be resolved in whatever order permits all orders to be fulfilled. However, it is likely that this will not always be possible. In the event that a player is involved in multiple battles, resolution order will be as follows:

Counter attacks against an attacker are always resolved first.
Combined attacks are resolved next.
If a player is both attacking and being attacked, his attack is resolved next. If he is attacking someone who is also attacking someone else, the chain is followed until it ends at a defender who is not attacking, and then resolved backwards. If the chain loops (A attacks B, B attacks C, C attacks A), then the player with the lowest combat power gets to execute his attack first, with ties broken randomly.

The only thing publicly announced at the end of each cycle is which players have been killed during the combats, and their alignments. Results for each combat will be reported back to the participants.

The Gathering
If no players choose to attack in any given round, then 2 players will be randomly selected to fight each other using their normal attack and defend values, as if they had each submitted an order to attack the other.

Rewards
Players who successfully kill another player in the night grow stronger. Each player has a power rating. All players start the game with a power rating of 2. A player who kills another player adds that player’s power rating to his own, and gains that points to use to upgrade his own powers.

When two players combine to kill a player or players, alignment determines the rewards. Players of equal alignment each take half the power rating of the killed player(s), rounded up. In the case of a neutral combining with a good, the neutral gets half the power rating, rounded up, and the good gets half the power rating, rounded down. In the case of an evil combining with a neutral, the evil takes all of the power rating, minus 1 point, and the neutral gets 1 point. However, if the killed player was only worth 1 point, the evil player gets it.
In addition, Good players who kill an evil player get 1 bonus power point.

Upgrading
Upgrading may be done at any time, as long as the player has the points required.
Players may always:
Pay 1 point to add 1 to their defense
Pay 1 point to upgrade a single attack die to the next higher size.
Pay 2 points to buy a new attack die (1d4).

In addition, the following skills are available for purchase when the game begins:
Decisive Advantage (2 points) - You automatically win any ties in differential, and the other player is killed
Berserk Rage (2 points) - Doubles your attack and makes your defense zero for any round you use it
Cautious (2 points) - Defending at night gives you an attack multiplier of 0.5, and a defense multiplier of 1.666
Other skills will become available as the game progresses.

Victory Conditions - There can be only One!
All players can win by defeating everyone else.
In addition, Good players can win together if all Evils are dead, and there are fewer Neutrals than Goods - in this case, the Neutral(s) win(s) as well.

Special Abilities
Special abilities listed below may or may not be in the game. More than one player may have the same special ability. Abilities are listed with a cost, which reduces (or adds to) the points the player will have in attack and defense to start.

Bloodthirsty (-2) - you must attack (separately or combined) every round, but you start with the highest attack dice.
Bodyguard (1) - When combining defense with another player, you multiply your total defense by 1.25.
Cooperative (2) - Whenever you combine attack or defense with someone and kill another player, you gain an extra power point as a reward
Deceptive (0) - You may switch your attack and defense values during any round.
Eavesdropper (1) - choose one player each round. You are added invisibly to their chat during that round, if I can figure out how to do this in Cassy. If not, you get a transcript of the chat at the end of the day.
High Powered (-1) - You begin the game with a power rating of 4, which means you give a bigger reward when killed.
Hunter (0) - When you successfully counter-attack (your counter-attack target attacks you), you are at full attack and defense against all other attacks that round.
Nemesis (2) - Pick one player at the start of the game. If you kill that player, you get double the reward.
Pacifist (0) - Whenever you do not fight during a round, you get a +1 bonus to your defense for the next round. This bonus is cumulative over multiple rounds of not fighting, but is zeroed out each time you fight.
Stealth (2) - When attacking or counter-attacking a player who is not defending, your target multiplies their defense by 0.75.
Tough (4) - The first time you are killed, you do not die and the combat is treated as a draw.
Truly Good (1) - you gain 2 bonus power points (instead of 1) for each evil you kill.
Truly Evil (2) - you get all rewards from any combined attacks, and your partners get nothing.
View Alignment (1) - each day, you may learn the alignment of one player
View Power Rating (1) - each day, you may learn the power rating of one player
View Special Ability (0) - each day, you may learn the special ability of one player
View Strength (2) - each day, you may learn the attack and defense ratings of one player
Vengeful (1)- Following any round you are attacked, you must attack one of the players that attacked you. You gain a 1.333 attack multiplier for this round.
Witness (0) - each round, choose one player to watch. If they kill someone, you learn who they killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
greek2me
jageroxorz
Kaldar
kristiefix
lvoverride
Moozers
NickAnner
paulsantac
Poolyxpop
riot
SuperChutney
TheSparky
thyren

13 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/5071...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian is this a rerun of Dale's Highlander game or something completely different? I'm too lazy to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Hey Brian is this a rerun of Dale's Highlander game or something completely different? I'm too lazy to check.

I didn't know anything about Dale's game. So it might be similar (don't know), but it's not a re-run.

Just looked at Dale's game. Wow - that was very cool! I might have to run that one at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Post Bandit
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I like toast
mbmbmbmbmb
I would join, but my last exam is April 21, and then I go home, and then to camp for my summer job, so I won't be able to maintain a constant level of activity. Looks fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Huh. I guess you ought to know something about the source material before running a game. I haven't actually seen any of the movies. So Dale's "no 2 on 1" rule was news to me. Which means this is pretty poorly themed. Even so, I'm going to leave it as is, because the combined attacks and defense are a major part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Key: Totally Bouse
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This needs a bump, so let's talk about how I've designed the game to play out:

Teaming up is obviously much more powerful than going alone. Combine that with the victory condition, and you should get people who ally, but then eventually turn on each other. The only question is who will betray who first.

Of course, the Goods have the potential to steamroll if they find each other and link up, since they can win together and thus have no reason to betray each other. For that reason, everyone else should be targeting them. I expect that there will be lots of accusations of goodness as players see which players they can combine with and which they cannot. But even that is not foolproof, since it might be that the other player submitted orders that did not include combining on something with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Anner
United States
Your Base
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just quickened at the thought of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Bump again. Still need 7! Anyone else want to try a highly experimental game where you behead your opponents until no one is left but you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: WW - Highlander! Last chance to signup, need 2 more!
I'm a little late getting started due to Champs 3A, but still intend to start this week - probably tomorrow, Thursday 4/22. We could really use at least 2 more players, preferably 3.

With 8, the game will have 1 good, 3 neutrals, and 4 evils. This will make the good role more difficult, although the neutrals will be competing to see which one of them can find the good and win with them, so that ought to be interesting.

If we can find a few more players:

9 adds another neutral.

10 would be 2 goods, 3 neutrals, 5 evils.

11 adds a neutral.

12 adds an evil.

13 adds a neutral.

I think these are roughly balanced. I'd like to get to the point where there are 2 goods, because I think that makes the threat of the goods significant, to the point where players should be hunting goods. Without this, a lot of the WW element is lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
Oh, why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TheSparky wrote:
Oh, why not.

That's the spirit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
bwt2q wrote:
TheSparky wrote:
Oh, why not.

That's the spirit!

It's a very neutral spirit. I ain't no wishy washy good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should expand the type of games I play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ƒireƒly
United States
Millbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSparky wrote:
bwt2q wrote:
TheSparky wrote:
Oh, why not.

That's the spirit!

It's a very neutral spirit. I ain't no wishy washy good.

Traitor! ...

wrong game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a reason I didn't join this game, but I forget.

I don't have access to Cassie now, but count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
thyren wrote:
There was a reason I didn't join this game, but I forget.

I don't have access to Cassie now, but count me in.

You are on the roaster roster... although an argument could be made for both.
Just 2 more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WW - Highlander! Game Starting - Day 1
Anyone wanna team up?

Anyone? I don't wanna be alone on the first day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The game is starting! We have 13, so the alignment distribution is 2 good, 5 neutral, and 6 evil. I think I like it better with 1 less good - makes it much more likely to be a single winner.

First Day's orders are due 2pm BGG, tomorrow, 4/23.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Reminder: you may open a chat with one other person each day. Please get chat orders in ASAP. They will be acted on as soon as I see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Anyone wanna team up?

Anyone? I don't wanna be alone on the first day.

Sure, come chat with me. No one should be alone on day 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.