Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own SoS, and I am thinking of buying ATB. There was a lot of talk in January/February about Academy releasing the new counters with Price of Poland, or releasing the updated counters as a separate purchase, or re-releasing the game with the new-style counters and new-style cards. Does anyone know what the final decision is on this matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same for me, i own SoS, want to buy AtB and wait for news about the updated counters, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here to ! Id buy the game but with updated counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely interested in purchasing updated counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Korpos
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it still planned to bundle them with the Poland 1939 expansion? (I hope so.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
brauerle wrote:
Is it still planned to bundle them with the Poland 1939 expansion? (I hope so.)

Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. I'm planning on picking up the Poland expansion, and if the updated counters are there, then I'll pick up ATB.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If, as has been previously stated, this expansion will use both AtB and SoS, the updated counters will be needed, somehow. Including them in this game would make sense right now - but later, if & when AtB is rereleased with updated rules & counters, it would be an expensive extra...

But without those counters, this expansion becomes much less viable, half of it being based on outdated components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just have to ask... What's the difference between the ATB and the SOS counters? Other than airplanes?

keep the answer "light" without too much detail as I just got the ATB and haven't even played one game yet, and only perused the first section of the ATB rules.

Warning: Too much info may cause confusion.

Thanks!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
I guess I just have to ask... What's the difference between the ATB and the SOS counters? Other than airplanes?

keep the answer "light" without too much detail as I just got the ATB and haven't even played one game yet, and only perused the first section of the ATB rules.

Warning: Too much info may cause confusion.

Thanks!

Jim

SoS counters always have both a red and a blue attack value, and you always use matching colours when attacking (blue attack vs blue defense, red attack vs red defense), where AtB counters sometimes only have one or the other, and if the colours don't match, you divide the attack value in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... that's all? I can do that math in my head! I did read that rule in AtB about dividing the numbers in half, and didn't think much of it. While reading this post just now, I had a look at the counters posted in the SoS pictures, and I seen the two colors for attacking. I also noticed that SoS Rifles counters may have a 6 range rather than a 5. That isn't a big deal to me either. HOWEVER; that being said, "if" the Polish expansion does have new counters to upgrade the AtB game, that would be a nice bonus!

Thanks for the answer!thumbsup

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Wow... that's all? I can do that math in my head!

It's true - the two counter types are quite compatible with each other; they simply involve knowing an extra rule. While it would be amazing if new AtB counters are included in the expansion (and last I had heard, they would be), if they aren't, the expansion will still be quite compatible with AtB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another change is, that the SoS counters already mark if a unit is bad in close combat. Another thing that is easily remembered in AtB and wether a vehicle has a turret.

Basically it boils down to just spelling a few things out on the counter that you were just remembering beforehand.

The values of the counters like ranges are not changing, as the changes from AtB to SoS are historic changes that reflect the development in gear and tactics changing the battle field effectiveness of the units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai von der Aa
Germany
Nuremberg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
The values of the counters like ranges are not changing, as the changes from AtB to SoS are historic changes that reflect the development in gear and tactics changing the battle field effectiveness of the units.

Beside the soviet long range SMGs. This obvious error could also be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not actually an error. Uwe explained the rationale behind that at some point.

Basically it is not actually a squad purely armed with SMGs but instead one of the early squads that was assigned a few SMGs. Those tended to be the elite squads, hence the better values compared to regular rifles. I don't remember the specific number, but I think it was like 3 SMGs in a 10 man squad.

Anyway, you can look for the thread with Uwe's more complete and better explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai von der Aa
Germany
Nuremberg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Anyway, you can look for the thread with Uwe's more complete and better explanation.

Ok, thanks. For other readers of this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3102708#3102708

I had changed my AtB counters for the Soviet SMGs after the former ZunTzu changes, but after that I missed the named thread with Uwe's comment that the original values are still ok.

(Nevertheless, all firefights work also with my changed SMG counters very well)

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.