Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I know there are several playing aids already available in the files section. Well, I have created my own while reading the rules, FAQ, and several posts here, in order to learn the game better and avoid any errors during our first games. The goal was to have everything needed to play the game, without looking the rulebook, on a single sheet of paper. Then I thought: Since I made the aid, why not post it? Somebody might find it useful too.

The aid has been tested in several test games, but still it might have errors. Therefore, I would appreciate your feedback and any comments for improvement.

oh, here it is:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54070/arkham-horror-ba...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good. A few things:

1) For Phase III, I'd be sure to include what happens on "Gate and Monster Appear" encounters. (you are sucked through the gate, delayed, don't have to fight the monster, and the monster remains on board)

2) Phase IV seems to be missing. Maybe by design, as it's pretty straightforward.

3) Phase V, #4, maybe make it clearer what is meant by "ignore other rumors"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was going to review this in detail anyway, but since you asked, here are my first comments.

1) You are missing the info for Phase IV - Other World Encounter.
2) Your phase 3 on sealing is a bit confusing - there is a difference between elder sign (card) and elder sign (token) - you may have it right but it sounds a bit off the way you explained it.
3) Monster Limit - The monster that EXCEEDS the limit, not the "last one," trips the cleaning out of monsters.
4) Terror Level increase. There is no Doom token added when you get to Level 10 (that was 1st edition rules and changed). However, every time after that, when the terror level would go up, you then add a doom token for each level it should have been raised.

5) Personal preference but I don't like telling new people the gate distribution - let them figure it out on their own!

6) Forgot this one - On Investigator status if you move to LiTaS you get 1 Sanity OR 1 Stamina (depending on which one you lost) - not both. The rules are confusing how they state this but it basically works as the Asylum and Hospital combined. But only affects you for which one you need. If you were every at double-zeros, you get devoured.

That was all I see with a quick skim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! Might have to give this one a print :)

In addition to Brian's notes, you might want to add "if equal, starting player choses" or similar to the flying monsters attack (i.e. if more than one player has the same sneak).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
Looks pretty good. A few things:

1) For Phase III, I'd be sure to include what happens on "Gate and Monster Appear" encounters. (you are sucked through the gate, delayed, don't have to fight the monster, and the monster remains on board)

2) Phase IV seems to be missing. Maybe by design, as it's pretty straightforward.

3) Phase V, #4, maybe make it clearer what is meant by "ignore other rumors"

Thanks for the feedback.

I am including the text about "Gate and Monster Appear".

Phase IV existed in the document but probably was deleted during editing. It is rather simple:
Phase IV: Other World Encounters
Monster appears -> Evade or Combat (surviving monsters return to the cup)

For phase V, #4 I am replacing the text with: ignore if there is already a rumor in play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I was going to review this in detail anyway, but since you asked, here are my first comments.

1) You are missing the info for Phase IV - Other World Encounter.

Fixed.

ColtsFan76 wrote:

2) Your phase 3 on sealing is a bit confusing - there is a difference between elder sign (card) and elder sign (token) - you may have it right but it sounds a bit off the way you explained it.

You are absolutely right. I am replacing it with the following:
b. use an Elder Sign card (return it to the box), lose 1 stamina and 1 sanity to seal with an Elder Sign token removed from the Ancient One’s doom track

ColtsFan76 wrote:

3) Monster Limit - The monster that EXCEEDS the limit, not the "last one," trips the cleaning out of monsters.

Corrected: Next monster: return the monsters in Outskirts to the cup (including the one that exceeds the limit), increase Terror level

ColtsFan76 wrote:
4) Terror Level increase. There is no Doom token added when you get to Level 10 (that was 1st edition rules and changed). However, every time after that, when the terror level would go up, you then add a doom token for each level it should have been raised.

Corrected.

ColtsFan76 wrote:

5) Personal preference but I don't like telling new people the gate distribution - let them figure it out on their own!

I wish I had this information in my first few games! Personal preference!

ColtsFan76 wrote:

6) Forgot this one - On Investigator status if you move to LiTaS you get 1 Sanity OR 1 Stamina (depending on which one you lost) - not both. The rules are confusing how they state this but it basically works as the Asylum and Hospital combined. But only affects you for which one you need. If you were every at double-zeros, you get devoured.

Correct.

ColtsFan76 wrote:

That was all I see with a quick skim.

That was extremely helpful feedback! A great thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Nice work! Might have to give this one a print

In addition to Brian's notes, you might want to add "if equal, starting player choses" or similar to the flying monsters attack (i.e. if more than one player has the same sneak).

Thanks Gawain. I've added this info also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

The updated version with all corrections and some improvements is available for download at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54070/arkham-horror-ba...

I you use this play aid in your games I would appreciate your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.