Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to be a snob. For instance, I have many plays with Candyland and other kid games and rate them better than most (not great, but better), because I put them in context of whom I play them with.

With that said, there is a notable exception -- I have always trashed Monopoly (as do many of us). When people ask me if my games (We the People, Ingenious, Battlestar Galactica, Saratoga - you name it) "is like Monopoly", I try not to puke in my mouth and politely explain how games have evolved.

I always say that relative to the games of my youth, I hated Monopoly more than the others because it never ends. Every time I see a display, I tell those with me that I am dumbfounded at how that game has sold so well through the years.

About 10 years ago, a well-meaning distant relative gave me a copy of K-Stateopoly (Kansas State University -- see my microbadges) as a Christmas present -- to which I feined appreciation, and then put it in the closet, where it has remained unopened all these years late. Even those customized versions don't float my boat, because to me, a K-State version should have the engineering building and the football stadium as Boardwalk and Park Place, since they are the two most important buildings on campus. Since they are not, it has less relevance to me.

That has been my view on Monopoly for 20 years: see what covers Boardwalk and Park Place -- agree/disagree with the choice, and then badmouth the game for its tedious play and comment on how incredible it is that such a lame game continues to sell so well.

With that said, I am with the family on vacation through the southwest on Spring Break, hitting 11 National Parks and National Monuments. While shopping for souvenirs at the visitors center, I see a National Parks Monopoly. Since Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone are the 3 jewels of the National Park system, and there are only 2 places, I am doubly curious which two represent the famous two slots. I flip it over and find out that the game is completely customizable, so you can create your own spaces, and change them out.

Heeeeeyyyyy -- when my children get a little older, we can reminisce about our park trips ... and while I want them to learn Euros, Ameritrash, Wargames, CDGs, and even RPGs when they get older, you HAVE to try Monopoly at least one time, so you can badmouth it, right?

So I buy one game on my vacation.

I am sorry, my brothers. I am the reason people always ask us, "Is Twilight Struggle kind of like Monopoly?" I have the "Kick Me" sign on my back. Have fun kicking me.

Epic Fail!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You have failed me for the last time, admiral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
...version should have the engineering building ...as Boardwalk and Park Place, since they are the two most important buildings on campus.

At least your priorities are in the proper perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahahah. The shame! shake

I remember seeing that version for sale in a store at... Zion, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, my faith in humanity has been destroyed. I hope you're happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAILED us? I look at it as though you "took one for the team." Someone must teach the younger generations the horrors... the PUUUUtresense... of Monopoly. Any one who can take on such a task and live to tell the tale is a better man than I.

I would like to pose a follow-up subject:
What, if not game play value, does Monopoly provide?

I'll start the list: two dice and a small pewter dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanker wrote:
FAILED us? I look at it as though you "took one for the team." Someone must teach the younger generations the horrors... the PUUUUtresense... of Monopoly. Any one who can take on such a task and live to tell the tale is a better man than I.

It also has a little iron for those really hard to reach wrinkles. And an actually functional thimble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Heeeeeyyyyy -- when my children get a little older, we can reminisce about our park trips ... and while I want them to learn Euros, Ameritrash, Wargames, CDGs, and even RPGs when they get older, you HAVE to try Monopoly at least one time, so you can badmouth it, right?

So I buy one game on my vacation.

You need not apologize to me. My fondest memories are of family vacations as a kid. If you can recall memories, and get your kids to play a game (yes any game) then kudos to you as far as I'm concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
... a K-State version should have the engineering building and the football stadium as Boardwalk and Park Place, since they are the two most important buildings on campus.

I don't know. I think Cardwell is a pretty important building because it's the PHYSICS building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Dickson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got my 6 year old a copy of Spongebob Monopoly, because you advance Plankton one square for every turn, and when he reaches Go, the game automatically ends, thus providing much-needed closure.

The single game we played ended early due to lack of interest before the 'Plankton Option' was activated, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I always say that relative to the games of my youth, I hated Monopoly more than the others because it never ends. Every time I see a display, I tell those with me that I am dumbfounded at how that game has sold so well through the years.

Uh-oh. Sounds like someone played with 'free parking' house rules, and wasn't auctioning properties when they should have.

You know, the game actually ends pretty darn quickly when you follow the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David White
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Uh-oh. Sounds like someone played with 'free parking' house rules, and wasn't auctioning properties when they should have.

/agree. Oh, it was painful the first time we played without Free Parking being a jackpot space, but it certainly brought the game to an end after a reasonable time.

Our relatives' copy of "Mayberry-opoly" had very annoying "short game" rules, however. At the end of the game (45 min or so), everyone tallied up their stuff to see who had the most cash, and therefore who had won. However players were allowed to include the purchase price of any properties they owned! Which of course made it completely a no-brainer when deciding whether to take the risk of buying a piece of property (since there was no longer any risk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
ryanker wrote:

It also has a little iron for those really hard to reach wrinkles. And an actually functional thimble.

And an elegant little candlestick for those really tiny...no, wait...blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
airjudden wrote:

You know, the game actually ends pretty darn quickly when you follow the rules...

Yeah.

I actually like Monopoly.

It might be because I always win, and it always ends within 2 hours. For an extra piece of information to annoy some of you guys, we almost always played the Star Wars Episode 1 collector's edition version, because it had a much improved board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanker wrote:

I was brainstorming a Microcapitalist/Distributist board game idea. When it came to what kind of pieces should be used, I had a stroke of genius; one should do what one ought to in real life: raid a Monopoly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know your pain. Still, I would not spend a dime on a Monopoly game; I would have told grandma and grandpa that the kiddies were "interested" in this game. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
I know your pain. Still, I would not spend a dime on a Monopoly game; I would have told grandma and grandpa that the kiddies were "interested" in this game. devil

+1

I didn't even like it as a child: I had terrible luck with the dice, was too stingy with my purchases, and was a terrible negotiator. Plus the game was tedious and endless. I liked the gaming experience with my relatives/friends, but I never voluntarily wanted to play it and preferred anything else to it!! Thank goodness for BGG and these type of games!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tempted (only slightly) by the National Parks version but always remember I hated Monopoly as a child -- which probably was what turned me off to games in general till my mid-30s. As another poster said, it may be a good nostalgia thing for your kids.

What, you may ask, (or not) finally turned me on to games again? Tunnels and Trolls. Yea! I have 150+ games now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When played with the proper rules, I enjoy Monopoly now and then. Imagine if every game were played with house/wrong rules that had the effect of introducing more luck, dragging the game on longer than necessary, and endless promotion? We would end up hating every game.

To fault a game based on house rules, incorrect reading of the rules, and over production is stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am issuing you a penance. For each play you have of this "monopoly" you must send me one game off of my wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Riptcord wrote:
airjudden wrote:
...version should have the engineering building ...as Boardwalk and Park Place, since they are the two most important buildings on campus.

At least your priorities are in the proper perspective.

No, he lists the stadium as one of the important ones... clearly this is incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another voice for that Monopoly is a pretty decent game if played correctly. The problem is that is almost has to be played really cut-throat to be interesting. If it is played thus, it can be pretty exciting. However, it is not in any way a family game, just like Risk isn't either.

And, even if it's played as it should be, cutthroat and all, there are still more interesting games. But it doesn not deserve the bashing it commonly gets. There are much worse games out there.

If you want something Monopoly-like yet mechanically far from it, take a look at ASAKUSA: The Game, for example. That is very customizeable, just using your own photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skip the monopoly phase and go right into RPGs. I will be honest, I was the kid that always won monopoly. I always wanted the tan/orange, red, and green properties. That way no matter what they did, they would land on something I owned. Also the price of houses/hotels made it hurt the others enough to survive. Plus it gave you a break for a turn or two of not having to owe anyone anything, wish for 2 to 4 on the dice for a few rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Roten
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Even those customized versions don't float my boat, because to me, a K-State version should have the engineering building and the football stadium as Boardwalk and Park Place, since they are the two most important buildings on campus.

No, no, no.... The football stadium & Vet Med for Boardwalk & Park Place! Vet Med is the obvious choice since not only is it one of the most important icons of the college (where else would I work!) but also its lot is used for parking for home football games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.