Nuns on the Run» Forums » Rules

Subject: really confused by the rules.. lol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
i just bought this game and i took about 2 hours just trying to figure the rules out ,

1) a novice can actually cheat as we cant see where she really is?

2) about the guard/prioress movement. so i use the abbess cell which is from the abbess cell towards the scriptorium. so does this mean than i can only walk along the line written on the card? do i have to reach the scriptorium before i can take another route? or can i change directions with another guard path card? and it says i can leave my paths if i suspect someone is near? so does that mean i have to do all these within my movement card that i picked? and if i leave my path, how do i continue? ohmygod this is so confusing

3) i can only catch a novice when it is my turn? like lets say player one places a noise token next to me, so does this mean i can straight away try to catch him or do i have to wait till its my turn?

could someone please rewrite the rules to make things clearer, more simple, and more organized?

I watch fred's video and it was done SO quickly that it didnt clear any of my questions. lol hope someone does a elaborated explaination of the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi on my 4th session and we realize that we make many mistakes still and still isnt very clear on how to move the Guard/Prioress

1) The guards have their designated routes, so do they have to finish their route before they start a new one?

2) If they suspect there is someone nearby, she can step our from their roots to try and catch them. So lets say she walks (3 or 4) dots out of her root to catch a suspect. There is a novice on her line of sight, and the novice places her token there. Does she roll a noise dice after that? Does she goes back to her previous route after she sees the novice? Or does she take a new route?

3) Are guards allowed to change their routes halfway? Lets say from abbess cell to Pharmacy but she wants to go somewhere else. Does she have to walk till the Pharmacy or can she play another route card to change her route?

4) The line of sight thing is really confusing. Basically its six dots on the same row of the guards or in front of the guards.
And then on page 8 of the rules, there is this really long confusing list of exceptions. For example in the Chapel, the 6 dots line of sight mirror does not apply?

5) They catch someone when they land on the same spot as the novice at the end of their turn? Or do they catch them even if they PASS through the dot randomly?

6) Can the guards see through LOCKED doors or ALL doors(cos there are lots of doors on the map)
Seems like the review link below is just as confused as me about these rules lol glad im not alone
Can someone pleaseee do a summary rules of novice moves and guard moves

Such a pity that this game has a great fun theme, but if the games were executed in a better way, (too chaotic and random now)this game would be a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim De Grom
Belgium
Dendermonde
Oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colourblind wrote:

1) The guards have their designated routes, so do they have to finish their route before they start a new one?

Yes, only when you finish a route, you can play another one.

colourblind wrote:

2) If they suspect there is someone nearby, she can step our from their roots to try and catch them. So lets say she walks (3 or 4) dots out of her root to catch a suspect. There is a novice on her line of sight, and the novice places her token there. Does she roll a noise dice after that? Does she goes back to her previous route after she sees the novice? Or does she take a new route?

Guard follow their route unless they hear or see a novice. Then they can move anywhere they want (it doesn't have to be in the direction of the noise or novice).
When the guards end their movement, roll the dice to see how far you can hear.

colourblind wrote:

3) Are guards allowed to change their routes halfway? Lets say from abbess cell to Pharmacy but she wants to go somewhere else. Does she have to walk till the Pharmacy or can she play another route card to change her route?

No, you have to finish a route, to play another one.
colourblind wrote:

4) The line of sight thing is really confusing. Basically its six dots on the same row of the guards or in front of the guards.
And then on page 8 of the rules, there is this really long confusing list of exceptions. For example in the Chapel, the 6 dots line of sight mirror does not apply?

6 dots always apply, but you can't see trough doors, behind corners, and trough the curtains of the confessionals.
colourblind wrote:

5) They catch someone when they land on the same spot as the novice at the end of their turn? Or do they catch them even if they PASS through the dot randomly?

Passing through is enough to catch a novice. Notice that while moving the guard, you look (=check line-of-sight) after each dot of movement, not only when you end your movement.

colourblind wrote:

6) Can the guards see through LOCKED doors or ALL doors(cos there are lots of doors on the map)

nobody can see trough any door. Guards can move trough all doors. Novices can only move trough a locked door when they have a key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim De Grom
Belgium
Dendermonde
Oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colourblind wrote:

Can someone pleaseee do a summary rules of novice moves and guard moves

All novice move at the same time.
Play a card, move the number of dots indicated on the card.
Write down the number of the dot you end your move on
check every dot you moved trought or ended your move on that you didn't enter line-of-sight of a guard.
Roll the dice for making a noise.

The guard plays a card, moves that number of dots, but moves one dot at a time. When at the beginning of the move, the guard can't see or hear any novice you have to follow the route, or return to the route (shortest way possible). Otherwise you can move to anywhere.
ask after each dot of movement if you can see anybody.
Roll on the end-dot to listen for noise.

you can only play a new route card, when you finished the current one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks

1)so at the entry hall, dot 42/43, she can see everyone at 45,44,69,70?

2) so if she is using tha Abess Hall - Phamarcy Route (the red route) , she suspects someone is nearby at dot 95,73,68,46,41 - she uses the walking card moves 4 dots from 96 - 68 , and there she hears a novice in when she rolled her noise dice. but she cannot catch her because her movements is over.

therefore, during the next turn, can she still try and catch the novice (even if she is not on her route, which means she has to divert further from her route. lets take the example above, she stopped at 68 and heard someone but couldnt do anything because she finished her movements. so during this turn can she move from 68-46-41-40-26 to try catch her? ) or does she have to follow her route back to the pharmacy?

-If she catches/sees/hear no one, i suppose she has to use her movements to go back to the Abbess Hall-Pharmacy route? (from dot 41 to 45 then continue on the red route?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim De Grom
Belgium
Dendermonde
Oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colourblind wrote:

I don't have a copy of the board yet. So I can't confirm.

colourblind wrote:

2) so if she is using tha Abess Hall - Phamarcy Route (the red route) , she suspects someone is nearby at dot 95,73,68,46,41 - she uses the walking card moves 4 dots from 96 - 68 , and there she hears a novice in when she rolled her noise dice. but she cannot catch her because her movements is over.

therefore, during the next turn, can she still try and catch the novice (even if she is not on her route, which means she has to divert further from her route. lets take the example above, she stopped at 68 and heard someone but couldnt do anything because she finished her movements. so during this turn can she move from 68-46-41-40-26 to try catch her? ) or does she have to follow her route back to the pharmacy?

-If she catches/sees/hear no one, i suppose she has to use her movements to go back to the Abbess Hall-Pharmacy route? (from dot 41 to 45 then continue on the red route?)

Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
tthanks! btw there is a picture of the map on bgg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colourblind wrote:

Yes, because columns do not block line-of-sight (page 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah, ok, thanks frederic !!

For the first three games, we played the line of sight wrongly. hehe. we thought the line of sight was the same row and the row in front of it. but it's actually everything you can see in front of you.

we also played the movement cards wrong. we thought that movement cards needed to alternate,but seems like we can use the same movement for as many times as you like.

we also played the guards movements wrong.

Hope the rule book gets updated with more examples and clearer rules and Faq meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree, the rulebook is really tricky, considering the (light) weight of the game. that said, i look forward to giving it some good play. looks fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Writing a clear rulebook is the most difficult part of designing a game.

Frequently people try to misinterpret the rules at their advantage. Sometimes there are real errors, but in the case of Nuns on the run, I did not have found anyone yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
i think the rulebook really lacks are examples. i think examples are really important and the rulebook clearly lacks them.

anyway i will write my own rule book and post it here so others wont get confused
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this game, but I would like to read the rules before spending my money, so I can make sure it's something I'd like to add to my collection.

Is there any place to view or download the rules in English?

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
I'm interested in this game, but I would like to read the rules before spending my money, so I can make sure it's something I'd like to add to my collection.

Thanks,
jrbentley

The English rules should soon become available on this site. I've asked the publisher, which has the final version in PDF, to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frederic Moyersoen wrote:
jrbentley wrote:

Thanks,
jrbentley

The English rules should soon become available on this site. I've asked the publisher, which has the final version in PDF, to do so.

Yayyyyy! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Juhola
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I found the rulebook quite good. And there's examples of all the tricky places, so you know them by heart in no time.
On the LOS, it's not really that hard, just remember that columns, trees (with the exception in Outer garden) and statues don't block LOS. For example, in the Chapel there are only the confessionals and the north altar wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhiraj Pallin
Australia
Taringa
QLD
flag msg tools
Yeah, the rules are a bit higgledypiggledy. I had to read the manual 3 times before I was clear on everything (apart from some ambiguous novice caught scenarios which were resolved on BGG), and I'm usually pretty good with manuals, hmm.

Having said that, this is an excellent game, imho Frederic's best yet. I like Saboteur too, but not Bacchus Banquet which has a fun theme but doesn't work anywhere near as well as the very similar game BANG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bacchus' banquet works very well, especially if anyone understands the game very well too (and how you can reach your objective). In fact, it can be a very subtle game.

Although I like Bang! too, I dislike a little bit that you can have bad luck and that you can be shot at will if you do not have the right defense cards. Out of the game means also out of the game.

But this discussion should be held on another forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.