Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Game Parts Exchange on the GEEK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recenty picked up a 2nd copy of Survive off of EBAY and it arrived today. I knew it was short a few pieces as it was pretty cheap and I was mainly buying it to get a complete set of people as my first set was missing a few.

Now I know I could probably sell this 2nd set again as between the two sets I have more land tiles than either game needs, as well as extra Whales, Sharks and Sea Monsters, so I could sell it "near complete" as I had bought it. It also included a bunch of little houses - that dont go with the Survive game and that I have never seen in any game before, but I bet could be of use/replacement value to others if they saw some pics of them. Seeing these extra parts got me to thinking ...

What would it take to add a "Games Part Exchange" to the Geek?? People could post small pics with all these odd game pieces they have and others could search them and find the pieces that they need for games of their own that are missing things.

I'm not sure how it would actually work... maybe direct trades (tho the odds of two people each having something the other needs is slim to none), or maybe you would actually sell the parts for small amounts of money. Or perhaps people create a "chain" where you take what you need from the end of the chain and add your new item in it's place and eventually someone adds the part that the 1st guy wanted (when he startedd the chain) and then the chain ends and everyone sends out their part to the person who needed it ( a bit convoluted perhaps). It even may be possible to use the geek gold system too. I dunno.

This idea is still in it's early developmental stages...Any other thoughts??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
completely brilliant
This is a completely brilliant idea! We already have a system for distributing rules and files. Encouraging people to exchange missing bits to make games complete is ACE! I bought a copy of Gibson's edition of Adel Verp, complete except for one red card, a cheque, meaning that one player cannot play. I got the game for a quid, I don't want to buy a card from someone else, but I'd love to get one and make the set complete again. And if I had an incomplete game for spare bits, why not release the other bits to my BGG friends.

Nobody is going to notice the idea here, start a geek list. Spare parts for free. I have this half game, do you need a bit? How about the 'buyer' pays in geek gold. Or put this on the game page, tick box for I need a bit from this game? I don't think a chain would work though.

Brilliant idea. This should go places!
Cheers,
Jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon,

Thanks for the kind words!

I think I'll email Aldie and see what he can do about a archive area for pictures of game bits and stuff. I'm also not sure how I'd go about listing a part if I don't know what game is from. Most would be obvious of course but many wouldnt be - we all have those game parts that you dont know where they came from.

Maybe you could post your unknown bits... then others would fill in the missing info and from there the trading could begin.

I fear there could easily be some abuse of this though as people could "complete" a valuable game through the generousity of others only to turn around and sell it on ebay or the BBG marketplace for huge profits.

What do you think??

(copy sent to your email as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.