Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Fresco» Forums » General

Subject: A caution for some who may find the pictures on the board offensive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I was excited about this game and seriously thought about purchasing it. However the nude pictures on the board swayed me away. I've heard it called a family game and I just wanted to alert parents that they may want to take a look at this first.

Before you criticize me keep in mind I am not criticizing anyone for purchasing this game nor am I criticizing the board maker. I am just concerned that some people may find the board mildly offensive, that's all - most won't have a problem with it at all. But for those that might,I just wanted to throw a caution out there, especially for those who might want to order this for their family.

21 
 Thumb up
0.15
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
naked under their clothes


Seriously? Looking at the pictures here, all the bits appear to be covered. Looks like one dude's butt is visible. That is really a problem for you?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I think you might be missing the completely naked male and female in addition to the man.

Again, if you don't have a problem with it don't worry, but others may. That's all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam and Eve? Yeah I see them. Nothing is visible.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take stickers or a sharpie and buy the game. Simple as that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really see no reason for such alarm... if someone finds sacred art offensive, then, that person needs some kind of internship...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
To add some context, here it the subject artwork:



Frankly, I've seen more while sharing classic art with my family visiting a museum.

40 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those museums and art galleries can be pretty corrupting places. I make sure that whenever we visit, every member of the family wears a paper bag over their heads. Except me, because I have to see where I'm going as I lead everyone else around on a piece of string. But I always promise not to look at any paintings with naughty bits in.
54 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a green marker and add some leaves.
Edit: Played the game today and recognized, they already wear their fig leaves! The only nude parts are the female breasts (mostly covered by her hair) and Adam`s buttocks.
Scandalous indeed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cobb
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why all the hate? Al was just making an observation and he did it in a respectful way. If you don't agree with him that's cool. No need for the sarcastic attacks.
44 
 Thumb up
0.21
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
how did ya get the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a replacement right here:

Or to make it absolutely kid / family-friendly - the Time Traveler edition:
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:
But for those that might,I just wanted to throw a caution out there, especially for those who might want to order this for their family.


Yeah, because family members don't have private parts as opposed to normal gamers.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
To add some context, here it the subject artwork:



Frankly, I've seen more while sharing classic art with my family visiting a museum.



I hope that's a fig leaf or somebody's in real need of a back, crack and sack wax.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of how you present your observation, the fact alone that you feel the need to draw attention to and make an issue of the artwork for this game is going to elicit eye rolls in this forum. Truly, this is not the first instance in which people have voiced concerns on this site about a game's artwork, and the reactions in response are going to be no different.

The thing is, if anyone is thinking of purchasing this (or any other) game and is doing research here on BGG, they are going to check out the images and then make their own decisions. The "warning" you intend to give--whatever the initial motivation is--only serves to imply that you're looking for support/justification of your decision and for people to "join the cause." You've stated this is not the case, but it's going to appear that way no matter what you do.

It always comes back to the point that if people have issues with a game's artwork, then clearly they don't have to buy said game. Moreover, they can be satisfied with their decision, and just move on. There's really no need to have to broadcast it here because the announcement is very rarely going to be rewarded with "Yeah, you're right! Thanks for the heads up!" It's actually far more annoying than it is helpful.
68 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Regardless of how you present your observation, the fact alone that you feel the need to draw attention to and make an issue of the artwork for this game is going to elicit eye rolls in this forum. Truly, this is not the first instance in which people have voiced concerns on this site about a game's artwork, and the reactions in response are going to be no different.

The thing is, if anyone is thinking of purchasing this (or any other) game and is doing research here on BGG, they are going to check out the images and then make their own decisions. The "warning" you intend to give--whatever the initial motivation is--only serves to imply that you're looking for support/justification of your decision and for people to "join the cause." You've stated this is not the case, but it's going to appear that way no matter what you do.

It always comes back to the point that if people have issues with a game's artwork, then clearly they don't have to buy said game. Moreover, they can be satisfied with their decision, and just move on. There's really no need to have to broadcast it here because the announcement is very rarely going to be rewarded with "Yeah, you're right! Thanks for the heads up!" It's actually far more annoying than it is helpful.



thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jacob4408 wrote:
Why all the hate? Al was just making an observation and he did it in a respectful way. If you don't agree with him that's cool. No need for the sarcastic attacks.


Agreed.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
jacob4408 wrote:
Why all the hate? Al was just making an observation and he did it in a respectful way. If you don't agree with him that's cool. No need for the sarcastic attacks.


Agreed.


+1 more
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also curious if it's any coincidence that the three BGGers who have defended/agreed with Al in this thread (so far) all happen to sport a "Christian" microbadge?



While everyone is entitled to believe what they believe, is it, honestly, really a matter of the game art being "offensive," or is it simply "outside of the comfort zone" of more conservative values? There are a lot of other titles in this database that I'd expect to be under greater protest than this game (say, The HellGame?). Regardless, I'm sure the publisher will do just fine if a few people decide to boycott the game for this one reason, and it is entirely within said people's rights to do so if they so choose.

Personally, I just find it sad and frustrating.
30 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has convinced me to pick the game up today at PAX.

Thanks for the endorsement. Anything that gets folks worked up like this (oh noes, children might see vague, partial nudity which is COMPLETELY unavailable anywhere else in the world, online, on billboards, in magazines, in movies, on television, on t-shirts, on the sides of busses, etc., etc.) deserves our support.

Thanks!
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
I'm also curious if it's any coincidence that the three BGGers who have defended/agreed with Al in this thread (so far) all happen to sport a "Christian" microbadge?



While everyone is entitled to believe what they believe, is it, honestly, really a matter of the game art being "offensive," or is it simply "outside of the comfort zone" of more conservative values? There are a lot of other titles in this database that I'd expect to be under greater protest than this game (say, The HellGame?). Regardless, I'm sure the publisher will do just fine if a few people decide to boycott the game for this one reason, and it is entirely within said people's rights to do so if they so choose.

Personally, I just find it sad and frustrating.


Actually, I don't find the artwork "offensive", but I appreciated the OP's very mildly stated "heads up" that the nudity is there in case some might want to think twice about the purchase. I don't understand why it is "sad and frustrating" that someone would respectfully state their opinion in this manner or that someone might choose not to purchase the game for their family because of it. Those who appreciate the artwork and want to purchase and enjoy the game because of it should feel free to do so without criticism - just as those who have a differing opinion shouldn't be criticized for their decision.
18 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubsfan31 wrote:
chindent wrote:
I'm also curious if it's any coincidence that the three BGGers who have defended/agreed with Al in this thread (so far) all happen to sport a "Christian" microbadge?



While everyone is entitled to believe what they believe, is it, honestly, really a matter of the game art being "offensive," or is it simply "outside of the comfort zone" of more conservative values? There are a lot of other titles in this database that I'd expect to be under greater protest than this game (say, The HellGame?). Regardless, I'm sure the publisher will do just fine if a few people decide to boycott the game for this one reason, and it is entirely within said people's rights to do so if they so choose.

Personally, I just find it sad and frustrating.


Actually, I don't find the artwork "offensive", but I appreciated the OP's very mildly stated "heads up" that the nudity is there in case some might want to think twice about the purchase. I don't understand why it is "sad and frustrating" that someone would respectfully state their opinion in this manner or that someone might choose not to purchase the game for their family because of it. Those who appreciate the artwork and want to purchase and enjoy the game because of it should feel free to do so without criticism - just as those who have a differing opinion shouldn't be criticized for their decision.

More specifically, what I find "sad and frustrating" is not about someone respectfully stating their opinion and possibly affecting a potential sale, but rather how very little it takes to set someone off to the point they feel the need to boycott a game and/or levy warnings to the rest of us. I have difficulty fathoming a level of sensitivity that fragile. I doubt people will be buying the game simply because of the artwork--people are going to buy the game because it has an interesting concept and historical theme.

But, like you say, that's just my opinion and I shouldn't be criticized for it, either.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't personally have any problem with nudity in art for any age-group, but there's no need to lambast this guy for trying to be helpful. I think it's a bit silly for folks to be easily offended by images like the one on this board, but the OP wasn't trying to start a big row. He was just trying to help those who might share his perspective.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubsfan31 wrote:
chindent wrote:
I'm also curious if it's any coincidence that the three BGGers who have defended/agreed with Al in this thread (so far) all happen to sport a "Christian" microbadge?



While everyone is entitled to believe what they believe, is it, honestly, really a matter of the game art being "offensive," or is it simply "outside of the comfort zone" of more conservative values? There are a lot of other titles in this database that I'd expect to be under greater protest than this game (say, The HellGame?). Regardless, I'm sure the publisher will do just fine if a few people decide to boycott the game for this one reason, and it is entirely within said people's rights to do so if they so choose.

Personally, I just find it sad and frustrating.


Actually, I don't find the artwork "offensive", but I appreciated the OP's very mildly stated "heads up" that the nudity is there in case some might want to think twice about the purchase. I don't understand why it is "sad and frustrating" that someone would respectfully state their opinion in this manner or that someone might choose not to purchase the game for their family because of it. Those who appreciate the artwork and want to purchase and enjoy the game because of it should feel free to do so without criticism - just as those who have a differing opinion shouldn't be criticized for their decision.


Well said. I have nothing against the artwork either (my copy of Tower of Babel has a giant penis on the cover of the box, after all), just the sarcastic attacks against the OP who was stating his opinions in a polite way - in order to be of service to others who might share his opinions. What I find sad and frustrating is that it is impossible to do this on internet forums without being attacked (although BGG in general is probably one of the better places on the web for understanding and good humor).
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thereofone wrote:
Apparently the Bible is rated R. There are important theological connotations to Adam and Eve's nudity/attempt to cover themselves after eating the fruit of knowledge. Why complain about depictions of it?


The Brick Testament is a great illustrated version of the Bible with Legos. Definitely Rated R! Or M for Mature...

Among the theological implications are the fact that Adam and Eve discovered that they were naked. And threads like this can be considered consequences of the fall.

If a game has art, I practically expect artistic nudity. Very different from smut in intent, the kind of feelings the art is trying to evoke, etc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.