Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Gesumaria
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I recently played PitchCar at a local event and I must say my world has been blown!

I absolutely loved the game and loved the fact that everyone had such a "thrilling" time playing. It was a VERY heated and exciting game for our group.

I was curious though, we played 'Mini'. After seeing that there's a 'Normal' I was curious. Which is better to get? I'd hate to buy a bunch of mini stuff expansions and the like only to find out I should have bought normal. Besides size of the pieces are there any fundamental differences and what are some of your views on the "Which is better" topic.

I thank you all in advance for all of your help. I know this is a dumb question that I can find out by research but I was hoping for opinions as well as the "Hard facts". I also apologize for my liberal use of quotation marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Mini, but have played both. There are things to be said for both editions. If you check through other threads asking this question (there are more than a couple...) one thing you'll notice is very few people unhappy with the choice they ended up making. Some points to consider :

- Mini is cheaper, obviously.

- game play is less forgiving on Mini, which could be a point for or against. (It's rare that you get a chance to 'power flick' your puck in mini, unless you want to spend all your time scrabbling around on the floor for stray cars).

- the cars on the full size version are more substantial. But the components of both games are very high quality.

- Naturally, mini takes up less space.

- It seems that more people with the full size version complain about track rails popping out of their grooved - although if this is a problem, they can be glued back in.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely full-size. It's kind of like the difference between playing on a mini pool table or a full size one. Also if you've got big hands then mini just feels too "dainty".

As for the rails issue, glue is the answer. Of course then you need a plastic tub or other storage solution for the game because with the rails attached it won't fit in the box anymore... not that it's a huge issue, though... if you're getting expansions, it's better to have one container for everything anyway.

The ultimate best choice really depends on who will be playing the most. If it's primarily for younger player with smaller hands and a lighter touch, then mini MIGHT be better (though I bring mine to game days at the public library and the youngsters seem to have NO problem doing power-flicks on a full-sized layout).

Edit: Typos. What can I tell you? It's early morning and I'm still assimilating the first cup of coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that really talks against Mini is that it does not have all expansions (yet?). Having "big hands" is not an issue.

The "cars" in big sized Pitch Car have rounded sides, whereas in Mini they are flat. This means that you will send your car flying off the road more often in Big than in Mini (although you will get used to both of them eventually). Thus I would say that Big has slightly more chaos built into it - now, if that is good or bad I can not say.

Mini also wins because it takes less space,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cars in Pitchcar Mini in my opinion fly off more easily becaus of track pieces dont join properly and cars not rounded. Pitchcar mini instead is very portable and doesnt require much space! I had Pitchcar mini + exp 1 + long straight: I sold them and got Pitchcar base. Im thinking of getting bacj... or get exp1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People that have played on mini will not complain about playing on normal. Normal players may not like the mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.