Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally played the World Cup Card Game for the first time! It all began over a month ago when I was reading about the related Board Game here on BGG. Being a football (soccer for you USAians) fan I was really excited about this game but I was also aware of the fact that very few people in my regular gaming group enjoy sports. This kind of discouraged me from investing in a game I didn't think was going to be played. However, while reading about the board game I found the card game which has very similar mechanics. Considering the small investment (extremely affordable price, low shipping costs to Sweden and a cheap £) I thought I'd give it a try.

Yesterday my brother who lives in the other end of the country was visiting and we invited over a bunch of friends. We were in total 7 friends and I decided that this was the right crowd to try the game out (3 sports fans, 3 people semi interested in sports and one guy not at all into traditional team sports).

The rules are more difficult to learn than to teach. When we sat down I gave a quick explanation of how the group stage works. All around the table got it at once, the cards in the game are really intuitive. So we dealt out the teams and started playing.

After finishing the group stage I explained the rules for the KO rounds and we continued with the game.

Throughout the entire game the spirits were high. Everyone was involved and there was a lot of cheering, screaming and laughing. I was a bit concerned that my non-sports-interested friend wouldn't enjoy it as much as the rest of us, but he liked it as much or maybe even more than the rest of us. He was even talking about game for quite some time after it finished. Another thing that I was concerned about was the fact that the game is rather random. At least two of the players are more into games that involve as few random elements as possible, but they also enjoyed themselves a lot.

Since I'm posting this as a session report I should probably tell you how it went. All 7 players managed to get at least one team into the KO rounds, and all but one had team(s) in the quarter finals. After several surprises in the KO stage (both Brazil and France got knocked out by Honduras in penalty shoot-outs) Slovakia won the cup.

I'm really excited about this game and can't wait until I get to try it again! I am no longer worried about introducing the game to my regular gaming group and I will definitely purchase the Board Game as well.

If you're reading this and thinking about maybe purchasing The World Cup Card Game I can only tell you one thing: DO IT NOW!

Thank you so much Shaun! (the designer and publisher)

Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

You've designed a great game that gave us a great evening that we'll remember for quite some time. You've also been very helpful, both through your activity on this site and by answering some direct questions that I had.

The only thing the game is missing is team Sweden, but I guess that's not your fault...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the high praise, Daniel. I am humbled!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game again this evening, this time with my 3 siblings and my dad after a family dinner at my parents house.

Once again it was a hit! Even my 16 year old sister enjoyed it a lot!

The only real problem we had in the game was when my dad (from England) was playing with Argentina in the final against England. He had a hard time deciding if he was going to try to win or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I've tried it out with only 2 players. I didn't have very high expectations since a lot of the fun from my previous experiences with the game was due to the dynamics and excitement generated from all the players.

To my surprise I love the game just as much with only two players! My brother and I played twice.

For the first game we just dealt the teams out randomly. This resulted in some analysis paralysis in the groups where one player controlled 3 teams because we wanted to optimize the outcome of the games where these teams were involved. We also tried out my house rule suggestion for the round of 16 and quarter finals and it worked out really well. I will definitely keep playing with that house rule!

After being outmaneuvered by my brother in the first KO round I only had Brazil left in the Quarter Finals (he controlled the other 7 teams...). But the luck of the draw gave me a starting hand with a 3-goal and a 2-goal so I cruised through to the semis. My good fortune continued through the semis and the final and Brazil ended up as world champions!

For the second game we decided that it would be more fun if we had 2 teams each in all groups. Before handing out the teams we also put them in different "pots" so that we would get the same amount of excellent, great, good and crappy teams. Playing with 2 teams each in every group was even more enjoyable so I absolutely recommend it for anyone who wants to play with 2 players! This time the Netherlands ended up winning the world cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just got this game out again after 4 years and printed your new cards Daniel

Good to read these posts again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.