Subject: Treasure on the object hex NOT "in sight" of object? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first game of Tobago I watched Bruce Allen's demo video and when he was explaining the "not in sight of the palm tree" clue card he seemed to say that although the treasure couldn't be found within two spaces of the tree, it might in fact be on the hex with the tree itself!

I will of course play it this way if Bruce says so, but how does it make any sense that a treasure not in sight of an object that lies up to 2 hexes away cannot be considered "in sight of it" if it shares the hex with the object?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the use of the word 'site' was not the best choice. Because I agree with you that it doesn't make a lot of sense off hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wapahala wrote:

I will of course play it this way if Bruce says so, but how does it make any sense that a treasure not in sight of an object that lies up to 2 hexes away cannot be considered "in sight of it" if it shares the hex with the object?

I don't know if it really makes "sense", but the rule is CLEARLY stated within the "Game Setup and Components" sheet included with the game.

Game Setup and Components wrote:

Card Type 6: [b]"Not in Sight of the landmark": NOT WITHIN 1 OR 2 SPACES of the landmark, i.e. FARTHER THAN 2 SPACES AWAY from the landmark or [u]DIRECTLY ON it[u]."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as being stood where the treasure is and your view from there does not include a 'palm tree' or 'hut' or whatever. Like if I say I've got a really good view from my house because I can't see any houses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Card Type 6: "Not in Sight of the landmark": NOT WITHIN 1 OR 2 SPACES of the landmark, i.e. FARTHER THAN 2 SPACES AWAY from the landmark or DIRECTLY ON it."
[/q]

If your quote is correct then the "NOT" could also logically apply to the: "directly on it" section, as in:

It can't be either 2 spaces away from the object OR directly on it.

I would love for Bruce to explain the logic of this rule if it is indeed supposed to be possible to place the treasure "directly on " the item that it supposedly can't be seen from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wapahala wrote:

Card Type 6: "Not in Sight of the landmark": NOT WITHIN 1 OR 2 SPACES of the landmark, i.e. FARTHER THAN 2 SPACES AWAY from the landmark or DIRECTLY ON it."

If your quote is correct then the "NOT" could also logically apply to the: "directly on it" section, as in:

It can't be either 2 spaces away from the object OR directly on it.

I would love for Bruce to explain the logic of this rule if it is indeed supposed to be possible to place the treasure "directly on " the item that it supposedly can't be seen from.
[/q]

No, i'm afraid you are reading that sentence wrong. Let me break it down.

The first part of the sentence reads:

"Not in Sight of the landmark": NOT WITHIN 1 OR 2 SPACES of the landmark"

This, obviously, states that the treasure may NOT be within 1 or 2 spaces of whatever landmark is depicted (hut, statue, palm, beach etc.)

After this, the sentence goes in to another way of WORDING the rule. This part starts with I.E., the abbreviation for the latin "id est", meaning "in other words" or "to clarify". At this point we are looking at the same rule, but another way of saying it. This part says:

"FARTHER THAN 2 SPACES AWAY from the landmark or DIRECTLY ON it."

Now, to further clarify that this is a restatement of the first part of the sentence, we see that it starts with "FARTHER THAN 2 SPACES AWAY from the landmark". This is exactly the same as the line "NOT WITHIN 1 OR 2 SPACES of the landmark" which was in the first half of this rule. That is followed by "or DIRECTLY ON it". Without the word "NOT" in this portion of the sentence, it clearly means that the treasure "MAY" be directly on the landmark.

I hope that clears things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I can see now that you are correct.

I still don't understand the logic of it, but you are reading it correctly and Bruce does specify this in his demo video so he must have a good reason for it.

I just can't see what it could be...

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wapahala wrote:
Yes, I can see now that you are correct.

I still don't understand the logic of it, but you are reading it correctly and Bruce does specify this in his demo video so he must have a good reason for it.

I just can't see what it could be...

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The easiest way to understand it is to imagine yourself standing on top of the object. If you are standing on top of a palm tree and looking out in to the distance, can you see the palm tree? No! Thus, when you are on the landmark, you are "not in sight" of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, look out into the distance. Can you see your own ears? Of course not. But there's no doubt your ears share the same space as you.

Rather than "in sight", the easiest way to think for this card is "the treasure is NOT precisely one or two spaces away from the landmark".

Thus, all other spaces are possible. 3 spaces away. 4 spaces away. And 0 spaces away (IE, right where the landmark is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Or, look out into the distance. Can you see your own ears? Of course not. But there's no doubt your ears share the same space as you.

Rather than "in sight", the easiest way to think for this card is "the treasure is NOT precisely one or two spaces away from the landmark".

Thus, all other spaces are possible. 3 spaces away. 4 spaces away. And 0 spaces away (IE, right where the landmark is).

Obviously your ears aren't as big as mine!!! (Kidding of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "in sight" is a terrible way to word the rule. If the treasure IS withing "sight" of a lake, and I'm "standing" in the lake, I'm pretty sure the other hex of the lake is within my sight, however in the rules of the game this is not so.

When we played I had to make myself remember that when it is within/not within 1/2 spaces, it means that the treasure is/is not within THOSE 1 or 2 spaces away from the said location. Since the adjacent/2 spaces away does not include the physical location it can still be in that space(s). Sight really has nothing to do with it (see above where standing in the water the rest of the water is clearly visible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.