Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Dresden 20» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Dresden 20 solo replay: the third day of battle (an illustrated AAR) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb

Withdraw to second day of battle: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/507140

Turn 11: August 27, Morning (Allied morale 3, French morale 3)
Weather = Downpour, Worsening

(random event = “Trachenberg Plan”. No effect as French do not have more morale points than Allies)
As the weather gets worse, the Prussian II corps moves into the Grosser Garten as the Russian Res Art moves along the road towards Dohna (no road benefit due to downpour conditions). G+R moves into Gruhna, and the Russian Cu cavalry moves onto the road between Gruhna and the bridge outside Dohna. Austrian 1Lt moves south of I corps in Dresden, II corps moves to the bridge near Plauen and IV corps moves into Gorbitz.

Both the Austrian I corps and Prussian II corps combine to attack the sole remaining Dresden garrison, to no effect (garrison may ignore the DW result rolled due to fortifications) and the Austrian III corps opts not to attack at all.

(random event = “The rest depends on fortune”. Associated roll = French gain a morale point)
I corps and Cv cavalry corps continue their advance towards Pirna, as all of the GC cavalry, I cavalry, YG and VI corps continue to advance along the far side of the Elbe river.

XIV and Reserve Artillery combine to attack Austrian III corps in Neustadt, forcing the defenders to rout 6 hexes (-1 Allied morale). Due to the presence of the Dresden garrison, this is a hazardous retreat, which they just about make safely. XIV advances after combat, back into Neustadt.

situation at end of turn 11

Turn 12: August 27, Mid-day (Allied morale 2, French morale 4)
Weather = Storm – ‘Mud’ marker placed on time track before weather trend moved back to Downpour

(random event = “caution and uncertainty”. All Allied units lose 1 movement point.)
Due to a mistake on my part – I thought this meant only cavalry would be able to move due to -1 for downpour and -1 for this card and forgot about the “can always move 1 hex” provision – no Allied units move at all!

Austrian I corps and Prussian II corps combine to attack the remaining Dresden garrison, finally forcing them out. II corps advances after combat into Dresden and III corps recovers from rout effects.

(random event = “Vive l’Empereur!”. French may spend a single morale point without paying associated cost)
Cv cavalary corps moves into the woods south of I corps, who remain stationary. All of GC cavalry, I cavalry, YG, II corps and VI corps continue to advance along the far side of the Elbe.

XIV spends that free morale point to commit the reserves against Austrian I corps in Dresden, but are only able to force an ignored withdrawal result.

French morale is then reduced by two (-2 French morale) AND Allied morale is increased by one (+1 Allied morale) as the Allies hold both Dresden hexes at the end of the French player’s turn.

situation at end of turn 12

Turn 13: August 27, Afternoon (Allied morale 3, French morale 2)
Weather = Showers, Worsening – mud marker still on time track

(random event = “A cloud of Cossacks and a pack of bad Landwehr”. Units from different nationalities may not combine in an attack)
Austrian Cu cavalry crosses the bridge outside Dohna as G+R moves along that same road. 1Lt moves south of the Prussian II corps as Austrian II, III and IV all continue to advance along their respective roads.

With no enemy reaction phase, and with the Allies opting not to attack out of their fortifications, this enables them to claim this as a ‘lull’ turn (+1 Allied morale)

(random event = “Rapid marches were the order of the day”. French may force march for free this turn)
I corps and Cv cavalry both move adjacent to Russian II corps (Cv cavalry to their south) as GC cavalry and I cavalry force march their way along the road towards the Konigstein fortress. YG, II and VI corps also force march along the far side of the Elbe river.

I corps and Cv cavalry combine to attack Russian II corps, forcing them to withdraw west. This is a hazardous retreat which they fail and so break instead (-1 Allied morale, +1 French morale). Cv cavalry has no choice but to advance after combat.

situation at end of turn 13

Turn 14: August 27, Evening (Allied morale 3, French morale 3)
Weather = Downpour, Worsening – mud marker moved a further space on the time track

(random event = “Jaegers & Grenzers”. Austrian 1Lt gains +1 movement and +1 combat strength this turn)
Austrian Cu cavalry moves south through Dohna as Russian Reserve Artillery crosses the bridge outside the same location, and as G+R continues to (slowly) advance along the same road. Austrian II, III and IV corps all converge on Dresden.

French Cv cavalry counter-charge and commit their reserves (-1 French morale) against Russian II cavalry corps, but are only able to succeed in remaining Engaged against them.

That II cavalry corps then combine with their II cavalry corps to attack the French Cv cavalry, forcing them to withdraw south. Russian II cavalry corps advances after combat. Austrian I corps combines with the Prussian II corps to attack (and commit reserves against for -1 Allied morale) French XIV in Neustadt, who have Artillery support. Despite this support, the defenders are still routed 2 hexes (roll of 3, -1 for fortifications) and Prussian II corps advances after combat.

(random event = “Avec Moi, Mes Amis!” May commit reserves to a single battle for free)
GC cavalry and I cavalry corps continue along the road towards Pirna as YG and II corps continue along the far side of the Elbe, with VI retracing their steps opposite Pirna.

Russian Cv cavalry counter-charges French Cv cavalry, forcing the defenders to withdraw SE and having no choice but to advance after combat.

I corps and Cv cavalry then combine to attack that Russian Cv cavalry corps, breaking the defenders outright (-1 Allied morale, +1 French morale), with the French Cv advancing after combat. Reserve Artillery commits their reserves (for free) against Prussian II corps in Neustadt, but are still routed 6 hexes off the map (+1 Allied morale, -1 French morale), with the Prussian II corps standing fast. XIV then recovers from rout effects.

situation at end of turn 14

Turn 15: August 27, Night (Allied morale 2, French morale 2)
Weather = Showers, Improving – mud marker remains on the time track

(random event = “A change in the weather”. That’s the reason it’s now Showers, Improving!)
Austrian Cu cavalry continues along the road towards Zehista as Russian II cavalry falls back into Pirna, with the Reserve Artillery and G+R continuing along the road leading to the same location. Austrian 1Lt enters Dresden, with II, III and IV all moving a single hex SE.

During the night operations phase, the Russian III corps is eliminated for good as is the Russian II corps. Cu cavalry corps, however, rallies outside Reinhartsgrimma. The Allies then drive the French morale down by 1 (-1 French morale) as they hold Neustadt, before gaining a single point from rest (+1 Allied morale)

(random event = “The rest depends on fortune”. Associated roll = no effect)
The French forces continue their lumberly advance, with all of Cv cavalry, I corps, GC cavalry and I cavalry advancing on Pirna. YG and II corps continue along the far side of the Elbe, with VI remaining stationary and XIV moving towards Pillnitz along that road.

During the French night operations phase, OG rallies outside Neustadt but the Reserve Artillery remains broken. The French then gain a morale point from rest (+1 French morale), and the mud marker is (finally!) removed from the time track.

situation at end of turn 15

Advance to day four: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/507648
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David, did you ever have the French use their "Extra Horses" bonus? It would seem that this third day would have been an excellent opportunity to get that added mobility to help turn the tide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
It would've been had I remembered about it: only hit me half way through turn 12! shake

Oh well: c'est la guerre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
C'est la cheval (or lack thereof).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.