Dune» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BGG Forum Dune Game #2; Basic Rules - Game over! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools

BGG forum Dune Game #2.

This will be 15 turns, using the basic rules and all optional character advantages. Victory conditions are:

Solo win: 3 strongholds
2-way alliance: 4 strongholds
3-way alliance: 5 strongholds

The WBC rules clarifications here will be used, insofar as they are applicable to the basic game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43311

Except that:
(a) The original Rules XIII (bribery) are in force.
(b) Players may exchange spice freely at any point during the game.
(c) All players may keep written notes.
(d) Any dispute in timing not otherwise clarified will be resolved in posting order.

Players may ask for status reports at any time. A status summary will be sent to players after the Bidding round, and after the Collection Round. The map will be updated periodically, or upon request.

Time limits: The term "24 hours" means 24 hours to the minute after an action is posted on the board, the time limit to react to that action expires. If, for example, the Atreides posts a shipment of 10 tokens to Tuek’s, and the time stamp on the post reads 5:01 pm on July 24th, then the Guild has until 5:01 pm on the 25th to play a Karama to block it.

Editing posts: Please do not edit or delete your posts. Leave them be as you wrote them. If you need to retract something, then post again.

To Start Game:

A. Players can submit faction preferences as they register, in order of preference, up to three factions. Those solely requesting a specific faction will play that faction. Joint requests will be resolved randomly. Players may trade factions if they wish to, and may offer a spice bribe (from their starting spice) when doing so.
B. The Bene Gesserit reports the prediction.
C. GM gives traitor candidates.
D. Players pick their traitor. BG and Fremen select their opening board positions.
E. The GM reports initial treachery cards and the spice blows.

Storm Round.

A. GM or Fremen declares the movement of the storm.
B. Starting turn 2, a player has 24 hours to play Weather Control. The player eligible to use Family Atomics has 24 hours after the use of the Weather Control to play it, or 24 hours after the movement of the storm.
C. The GM or players announce the effects of the storm.

Spice Blow

A. The GM reports all the cards that will appear from the spice deck, including two spice blows and any number of worms. GM reports to the Fremen the distance the storm will move next turn.
B. If a nexus:
(a) Alliances are binding when all parties to it post their acceptance. Any attached terms must be listed by all parties in their acceptance post or no alliance is formed..
(b) Worm movement at the end of the nexus must be within 24 hours of the alliances being finalised.
(c) The GM or players summarise worm effects.

Bidding Round

The bidding format is by open auction; players may place a bid for the card at any time and are not required to bid in order. Each card is up for bid for 24 hours from the post announce the start of its auction, or until all players post "pass".

A. The GM announces that the first card is up for bid and informs Atreides what it is, reports the current number of cards held by each player, and the number of cards in the round.
(a) Any player may call "Choam" during the bidding period of the first card. Once this period has passed, Choam charity may not be called. The B.G. is always assumed to have called Choam.
(b) Atreides, and other players Atreides instructs the GM to notify, will be informed of the identity of each card as its auction starts. The GM will announce the identity of the card(s) to the winner during the auctioning of the next card.
(c) The player that starts bidding as per VIII.B.1 may 'take over' the current highest bid posted on their first bid (only). For each subsequent card, the player that starts bidding as per VIII may ‘take over’ the current top bid on their first bid (only). Example: Harkonnen is first in storm order with the first card up for bid, and has not yet posted a bid for that card. The Emperor currently has the highest bid at '4'. Harkonnen's first bid may be '4', supplanting the Emperor's bid.

B. The next card’s auction commences when the previous card’s purchase is announced, or when the last player passes. If all players pass, then the GM will announce the auction on the next card. Spice payment is always assumed to be full value bid unless the Emperor has stated otherwise.

Revival and Movement sequence.

Are performed as one step in storm order.

A. The Bene Gesserit declares co-existence.
B. The Guild either declares (a) when he will move in the round, or (b) that he is retaining the option to pre-empt. He does not have to wait for the Bene Gesserit to declare coexistence before doing so. If selecting (a), the Guild may change his mind on his movement order at any point, but the player moving next is NOT obligated to wait. They may move immediately when it is their turn, and the Guild loses his chance to pre-empt them when their move is posted. If the Guild selects (b), then each player must await the Guild’s post stating whether he is or is not pre-empting before they proceed with their own move.
C. The first player to move in the round does so after the Guild’s declaration. They must wait for the Bene Gesserit’s decision only if occupancy potentially restricts their movement. Otherwise, they may proceed at their own discretion. Movement orders must consist of:
(a) Revival (regular tokens, starred tokens, leader, spice paid)
(b) Shipment (destination including sector, spice paid)
(c) Movement (starting and ending locations including sector, with number of tokens/starred tokens).
(d) Treachery cards played during movement (Karama or Hajr).
If a player posts orders that omit revival, shipment, or movement, or make an illegal play, the GM or a player will obtain clarification on the omission before movement proceeds to the next faction.
D. Special actions:
(a) Bene Gesserit has 24 hours after each shipment to accompany. The next player moving does not have to wait for the BG’s decision before moving, and the BG may accompany within the 24 deadline even if players have moved since. (B.G. may post instructions on accompaniment at the start of the round such as, "I will accompany all shipments to X, Y, Z strongholds" this turn). A player has 24 hours after the B.G. accompanies to play a Karama to block it. They then have the rest of their lives to justify it.
(b) The Guild has 24 hours after each shipment to play a Karama to block. Movement automatically reverts back to the faction that was subjected to the Karama even if other factions have moved since; the blocked player has 24 hours from the play of the Guild Karama to alter their on-planet movement, then play proceeds. (It is advised that in situations where it is important, players either ask Guild to clarify whether he is playing a Karama before they proceed with their own move, or that Guild retains the option to pre-empt for each player in situations where he intends to Karama a movement).
(c) Another faction must play a Karama to force the Guild to move in order at any point in the movement round prior to turn order passing the Guild player’s dot. The instant that the player after Guild posts a movement order (even if incomplete) it becomes too late to play the Karama.

Battle Round

A. The GM or players summarize the location, factions, and numbers of tokens involved
in each combat.
B. In storm order, the next player must specify the order of resolution of their battles.
C. The Voice is given. If the B.G. may instruct the GM to allow their ally to give the Voice in their behalf, or may retain the right to give the voice directly.
D. A Karama card is played to block the Voice.
E. The Prescience question is given. The Atreides may instruct the GM to allow their ally to give the Prescience question, or may retain the right to give the question directly.
F. The Prescience question is answered or a Karama card is played (whichever happens first).
G. A Truthtrance, or Karama played to negate starred tokens, or played by Atreides to view an entire battle plan, may be done at any time prior to Step I below.
H. Each player submits to the GM their battle plan:
- Leader identity or Cheap Hero(ine)
- Number dialled
- Number of spice paid to supply tokens
- Weapon or Worthless Card played
- Defense or Worthless Card played
- Kwisatz Haderach (Atreides only)
I. The moment both battle plans have been submitted to the GM is considered to be the moment of revelation of battle plans; no alterations of battle plans by either player are allowed after that point even if there is a delay between submission and posting by the GM of battle results.
J. A player has 24 hours from the posting of the battle results on the thread to call "traitor". The Harkonnen has 24 hours from the same point, if victorious; to announce a leader capture and the decision to send the leader to the tanks. Any Karama played to prevent leader capture must occur within 24 hours of the Harkonnen announcement he is capturing a leader. Any player may delay the next battle until all traitor calls and captures have been made.
K. Factions fighting later in the battle order may resolve their combat without waiting the results from those earlier in battle order if no player objects and there is no potential effect on their battle from the earlier combats.

Collection Round

A GM or players report spice collected from spice blows and city income.
B GM reports whether or not the game been won and by whom.
C GM reports faction status individually to each player.

Miscellaneous

A. A player may decide to play treachery cards at any applicable time:
(a) If the Harkonnen is swapping hands, he declares how many cards he is taking, then the GM reports to the Harkonnen and the victimized faction which cards are drawn, then the Harkonnen informs the GM and victimized faction which cards he will give.
(b) Any player has 24 hours to prevent the B.G. from using a worthless card as a Karama. This act may occasionally cause an auction or movement to restart. The B.G. must always announce the identity of the card played, (Karama, Kulon, La La La, etc.) when using a Karama.
B. Actions take effect the instant they are posted on the thread. Any posted action may be reversed or changed provided that no further game action has occurred.
C. An illegal action will be declared by the GM to have been illegal, and the reason specified. For example, if a player plays a Karama and then quickly retracts the action, but in fact never had a Karama in their possession to begin with, then the GM will state the move was illegal with the reason being the player did not have a Karama card.
D. Players may negotiate on or off the game thread. A deal becomes binding only when all parties to it have posted their acceptance of the terms on the thread. Deals made off-thread are never binding. BE CAREFUL TO CHECK THE TERMS OF ANY AGREEMENT YOU ENTER INTO: the terms are what are posted on the thread, not what you thought the agreement was.
E. The GM will announce the factions and recipient in a spice trade, but will not announce the amount traded.
F. Players can appoint their allies or other stand-ins as caretakers while they are absent. However, any action they take on the player’s behalf is considered official unless it violates an instruction sent to the GM or posted.
G. Truthtrance questions about future intentions are permitted. Players must abide by the answers they have given, if it is possible to do so. Any question asked must be stated in a way that is theoretically possible to express purely in terms of game components (not player intention or action), and must be referenced to one moment in time.
H. Play can continue before a truthtrance is answered, if the giver of the question does not object. The giver of the T/T may thereafter at any time stop play to force the recipient to answer the question as the next game action. The GM will not provide the truthtrance answer; the target will have the opportunity to negotiate in all instances.
I. Players can arrange the outcome of a battle by specifying a "standard" deal: (1) neither player will play a weapon, (2) the player agreeing to lose will dial zero, (3) the players will agree to the leaders being used, (4) neither player will call treachery, (5) Harkonnen will not capture a leader.
J. Any alterations or additions to these rules will be made at the end of a Collection Round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Forum Dune Game #2; Basic Rules. Sign up!
As a lurker who watched the previous game, count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bostrup
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I'd also like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, please count me in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: BGG Forum Dune Game #2; Basic Rules - Underway!
The first six players to check in were selected.

Faction assignments are:

Jeremiah Lee - Emperor (Jeremiah_Lee)
Steph Mabie - Guild (swmabie)
Thomas Bostrup - Harkonnen (Bostrup)
Anthony Santiago - Fremen (drmabuse00)
Richard S - Atreides (riks)
Tony Barber - Bene Gesserit (pirtrom)

Bene Gesserit - your prediction is first up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bostrup
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Will you make a post with rules like you did in the first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes, the rules will appear in the first post within a day.

Player dot assignments are:

Faction - Sector
Emperor - 14
Bene - 11
Guild - 5
Fremen - 8
Atreides - 17
Harkonnen - 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just back from playing this at a game day today! I love this game, and I'm excited to have a chance to play it here. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Glenn,

I noticed that the rules for spice blow and combat are from the Advanced rule set. Are these what we are using or are we using the basic rules (w/ character adv., natch)?

Thanks,
Anthony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
[lurk off]
The extra spice blow from the Advanced rules is mainly to fuel the Advanced combat, which requires a lot of spice. In the basic rules, it should probably be skipped.
[lurk on]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bostrup
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Similar question:
How about Optional Rules XVI, XVII, and XIX - are we playing with those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
I noticed that the rules for spice blow and combat are from the Advanced rule set. Are these what we are using or are we using the basic rules (w/ character adv., natch)?

Basic rules, which means only one spice blow per turn and no supply for combat.

Quote:
How about Optional Rules XVI, XVII, and XIX - are we playing with those?

We are using XV, XVI, XVII

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Glenn, you may want to re-edit the rules you have at the top of the page as they currently reflect the "Advanced" game.

Oh and THANK-YOU for running this game. I'm really looking forward to playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
BG prediction is in.

Leader draws have been sent to all players. Traitor picks are next. Fremen and BG make sure to send in your starting token positions as well. Mark board positions by the name of the territory and the sector (numbered 1 to 18 on the map) when necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just sending a quick Greetings & Salutations to the rest of the Universe.

The Guild's ships are all ready and waiting to make your trips to Arrakis as quick and as comfortable as possible. We are ready to serve your every command.

In the event anyone wishes to charter any private trips, please feel free to ask one of our Agents. We are always willing to offer discounted fares, for the right price.

If anyone is in need of me, I shall be on the Lido deck, working on my color....

Yours,
Guildmaster Edric

PS: As a favor to me, if anyone sends me GMs, can you please include "D2" in the title, and your power somewhere in there? I wouldn't want to misplace anything.

PPS: Also, if any of y'all are interested, I scanned in my shields (from the game I bought 10 years ago for $3 and haven't had a chance to play yet) for my indentifier; I did all 6, both square-cut & wide-screen, if anyone else wants to make use of them (though you might want to play around with sizes to find the best fit for you).

Atreides: wide, square
Bene Gesserit: wide, square
Emperor: wide, square
Fremen: wide, square
Harkonnen: wide, square
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Awaiting BG traitor pick and token setup, then we can go to storm and bid round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Are we still waiting on the same thing?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Storm
BG traitor pick is in.

BG starts one token in the Polar Sink.

Fremen deployment is:
4/1* False Wall West (sector 17)
3/2* False Wall South (sector 4)

Storm starts in sector 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Spice Blow, T1
Shai-Hulud
Cielago North (8)

The worm is ignored on the first turn (shuffled back into the deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Bid Round
Card 1 is now up for bid.

The auction is 24 hours or until five players pass. Format is open bidding - anyone can jump in and bid at any time. The Guild is next in storm order and has the priority, meaning that on his first bid (only), he may bid an amount equal to the current highest bid and 'take over' the top bid, if he wishes.

Initial card draws being sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bostrup
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Harkonnen bids 1 for Card 1.

Is it possible to change the time zone of the forum? (and if so, how?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
Atreides bid two spice for the first card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We shall bid 3 Spice.

- Dr. Liet-Kynes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Map updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.