Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Roper
United States
San Tan Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me mention that I'm a huge horror fan. I mean insanely whack job, slap happy, scratchy tweaker nuts over horror movies. Anything from gory, scary, slasher, suspense, zombies (being my favorite), you name I love it. And over the past year Ive been really enjoying my growing collection of boardgames and the weekly game nights Ive been hosting. So Im looking to combine the 2 and find some good horror/suspense/high tension games.

I own a few already such as Arkham horror, Doom, Ghost Stories, Space Hulk, and Last Night on Earth is on the way, all do a good job at creating a tense atmosphere. But I wanna hear your recommendations and experiences with a game that just made you so scared or tense that you had to check behind the shower curtain before you took a leak.

So tell me, what game has you sitting on the edge of your seat the entire time? What game has you doubting everyone's motives? What game creeps you out to the point your relieved when the game ends? What game terrifies you?

.....or am i just nuts and that game doesn't exist or not available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtnapper73 wrote:
So tell me, what game has you sitting on the edge of your seat the entire time? What game has you doubting everyone's motives? What game creeps you out to the point your relieved when the game ends? What game terrifies you?

Monopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
overtheboard wrote:
dirtnapper73 wrote:

Monopoly

Bdum-tss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:
dirtnapper73 wrote:

Monopoly

Totally agree .

Okay jokes aside, I find Mall of Horror fitting all that. You'll always doubt whether someone is actually your friend ,and in constant fear that you might be zombie food .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found little to be actually terrified by in boardgames, which is unfortunate, as I'm a horror fan as well. That said, the mechanics in Mall of Horror are the kind of thing that gives you the most amount of -feeling- in a game, and that's what I think you're looking for, if you can't get 'scary'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
For doubting everyone's motives, take a look at Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. For high tension, Twilight Struggle, does it for me.

Of course, neither are terrifying or in the horror genre.

Frankly, I think the kind of experience you seek is better suited in another medium, probably a computer/video game. Doom III or Left for Dead would seem promising

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're going to have to jump to role-playing games to find what you're looking for. And horror role-playing is harder to pull off than the classic fantasy campaign that starts in a tavern. I'm not big into horror, so this is largely theory, but you might look at:
De Profundis- only requires two people, and low time commitment
Puppetland
Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition)- a classic with long history backing it up
Chronicles of Darkness- capable of power gaming, but also capable of horror. Easier to find a group, but might be harder to find a good group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game that has a price 100$. shake

I don't mind spending money on games...but this seems to be a new tendency.

With FFG expansions becoming every more expensive, that is what scares me. soblue

I live in Europe and we pay 100 Euro for those games.gulp

Let's be honnest here: if Italeri and Svezda can offer 50 plastic figures at 6$ and make good money on this...

oh yes...and games that are over-hyped scare me (type Summoner Wars...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roper
United States
San Tan Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah Doom 3 was creepy as hell with headphones on, and I have Left 4 Dead 1&2 which are my current favorite shooters. Ive thought about Mall of Horrors but its out of print and hard to find. Hopefully there is something out there that will scratch that itch either in print or a future release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, RPGs might be better at doing what you're trying to do. I've pulled off some creepy stuff in D&D before, but a horror-themed RPG would likely be easier to make it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The HellGame has the creepiest art I have ever seen in a board game.

Serial Killer: The Board Game scares me, I don't think anyone owns it though.

Pain Doctors: The Game of Recreational Surgery might scratch your gore itch.

Frankenstein's Children looks interesting though I've never played.

Unfortunately there isn't a big market for these games so they don't stay in print very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being terrified requires suspension of disbelieve, it's hard enough to achieve that in movies and video games (It has been many, many moons since either got much of a scare out of me), how would you pull it off in a board game which is by its very nature more abstracted and distanced from the action?
Corollary: If you're so good at getting yourself worked up that you manage to be terrified by a board game, you might as well cut out the middle man and just scare yourself without any outside aid, which would probably work even better than when your mind is engaged otherwise (Say, by playing a board game).
Heh, scare-masturbation, that's a new one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtnapper73 wrote:

Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic scares me a little if I stop and think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge horror fan too, but have sadly found no real "horror" in board games so far.

However, thinking about learning the rules of Advanced Squad Leader does shiver my timbers, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't VGG, but Shalebridge Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows is the most perfectly terrifying game experience I've ever had. I've never played a boardgame that scared me, but playing poker for real money probably comes the closest, in terms of getting the adrenaline pumping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My opened though un-punched game Die Macher terrifies me. Dunno why... must be the sheer weight of the box and all those drab colored chits played on a most intimidating looking board. A game about German politics might also have something to do with it.

scary picture

Nothing inviting about the game, but I'm not willing to trade it either. Again, dunno why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Auto Races scares me.

That being said, the coconut-like sound of kids' heads knocking together secretly reminds me of Gary Larson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtnapper73 wrote:
So Im looking to combine the 2 and find some good horror/suspense/high tension games.

But I wanna hear your recommendations and experiences with a game that just made you so scared or tense that you had to check behind the shower curtain before you took a leak.

So tell me, what game has you sitting on the edge of your seat the entire time?

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a game that perfectly fits your needs. I can, however, think of a game that fits some of them exceptionally well.

Space Alert does not have a horror theme, but in terms of atmosphere and tension it's up at the top of my list. If you're looking to create a themed "night" of games and movies etc, I think this would be a great one to work around. The use of the soundtrack really helps bridge that gap between playing a board game and experiencing something.

Beyond that, I'd say Last Night on Earth has replicated the zombie experience the best for me. There's always that feeling as the human players that you're outnumbered and going to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader
The rules, the expansions, the horror stories... it haunts my nightmares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
I think you're going to have to jump to role-playing games to find what you're looking for. And horror role-playing is harder to pull off than the classic fantasy campaign that starts in a tavern. I'm not big into horror, so this is largely theory, but you might look at:
De Profundis- only requires two people, and low time commitment
Puppetland
Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition)- a classic with long history backing it up
Chronicles of Darkness- capable of power gaming, but also capable of horror. Easier to find a group, but might be harder to find a good group.

I'd put Sorcerer at the top of this list - it demands the most out of any RPG but I've walked away from sessions shocked. And I was GMing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtnapper73 wrote:

Inkognito is a game that has a lot of growing tension. There isn't a lot of talk. Players are trying to keep secret that they even know who their partner is and that they are close to achieving their goal. This makes the ending very exciting, and when someone says, "We just won!", there is a huge exhale, and then a lot of discussion about what was going on that could not be discussed during the game.

On top of all that, there is the freaky Phantom of Prophesy is enough to scare anybody:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only time I was ever terrified by a board game was when I for the first time read the "Jonah's Turn" card of Betrayal At House On The Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader, I tried and failed. Learning it is like trying to climb a cliff with an armful of fruit.

Any live action roleplay scares the hell out of me. Freaks.

I made a conscious effort not to talk about or even look at Pandemic while the swine flu thing was kicking off.

Space Hulk (third edition) can be pretty tense as can Twilight Struggle but I am convinced Monopoly is the work of the Devil (who is an ardent capitalist).

I still have nightmares about the small hexes in John Prados' Third Reich. gulp

The stacks of counters in Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front make me sweat and my hands go all floppy when I try to gently pick up the the top couple of counters...

Some bad memories right there. I am now going to drink some whisky in the shower while my girlfriend scrubs me with a scouring pad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Fatal Frame: The Card Game nor the video game it is based on, but from what I understand, it was quite a scary video game.

It is so hard to create tension in a boardgame, so it is usually made up for in theme. However, someone suggested Space Alert as a game that amps up the tension, and I have to agree - even though it is not horror themed. Hey maybe someone could develop a horror game with similar mechanics to Space Alert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.