Subject: Renown & Multiplayer Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of questions guys:

1) When A Character with the RENOWN ability wins a challenge, does the power token he gains goes on top of his character card or to your house card?

2) On a multiplayer game, 3 players or 4 players, can you only attack the player that has a title that opposes your title or you can still attack anyone you want? (I already know that if you attack a player with a title that opposes your title, you will win 1 Power token as a bonus)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo Proxy wrote:
Couple of questions guys:

1) When A Character with the RENOWN ability wins a challenge, does the power token he gains goes on top of his character card or to your house card?

2) On a multiplayer game, 3 players or 4 players, can you only attack the player that has a title that opposes your title or you can still attack anyone you want? (I already know that if you attack a player with a title that opposes your title, you will win 1 Power token as a bonus)

when a rule says the character gains one power, that means it goes on his card. this applies to renown.

you can always attack any player except those you are prohibited from attacking (those you support).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo Proxy wrote:
(I already know that if you attack a player with a title that opposes your title, you will win 1 Power token as a bonus)[/i]

You may know this, but just want to mention in case you didn't that you can only get that bonus power once per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGoRed wrote:
Ergo Proxy wrote:
(I already know that if you attack a player with a title that opposes your title, you will win 1 Power token as a bonus)[/i]

You may know this, but just want to mention in case you didn't that you can only get that bonus power once per round.

Please explain...

You mean that if I have an opponent with no defense at all, I can military, intrigue, and power challenge him but I will only get that bonus Power POint once? I just looked through the rules and they don't seem to indicate what you said above.

Bri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Hansen

Lübeck
Schleswig-Holstein
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, p. 17 wrote:
If you win a challenge against
a player who chose a title that your title opposes,
you claim 1 power for your House in addition to
any other power you might claim for winning
that challenge. You cannot claim more than one
power per round in this manner.

Hope that helps.

H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, but I need to get this straight, I don't want to play this wrong xD

So let's imagine this situation, I attack a player without any kind of defense, I have claim (1), I attack him with Intrigue, Power and Military, and he has chosen a title that opposes me

I win 1 Power Token from the power pool (Bonus from Opposed Title)
I win 3 Power Tokens from the power pool (From the 3 Unopposed Challenges)
The Opponent also has to kill 1 character, lose 1 card from intrigue and give me a power token from his power pool.

Is This Correct?

Some "Deadly" Questions:

a) Wich characters count towards the deadly situation? Only the attacking and the defending ones, or everyone in play?

b) If I attack with a character that does not have the military symbol, does the deadly situation still counts and the opponent still has to kill one character?

c) When I suffer from a military challenge and I choose to defend it with only one character, but the enemy has deadly characters, I need to kill the one defender I kneel and plus one more from the rest of the characters in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see... I thought the other comment meant that the unopposed challenge bonus was only applicable once per turn. THis rule applies to winning challenges against players one opposes, which can result in only one bonus victory point per turn. Got it...

Thanks for clearing that up...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo Proxy wrote:
Sorry guys, but I need to get this straight, I don't want to play this wrong xD

So let's imagine this situation, I attack a player without any kind of defense, I have claim (1), I attack him with Intrigue, Power and Military, and he has chosen a title that opposes me

I win 1 Power Token from the power pool (Bonus from Opposed Title)
I win 3 Power Tokens from the power pool (From the 3 Unopposed Challenges)
The Opponent also has to kill 1 character, lose 1 card from intrigue and give me a power token from his power pool.

Is This Correct?

Some "Deadly" Questions:

a) Wich characters count towards the deadly situation? Only the attacking and the defending ones, or everyone in play?

b) If I attack with a character that does not have the military symbol, does the deadly situation still counts and the opponent still has to kill one character?

c) When I suffer from a military challenge and I choose to defend it with only one character, but the enemy has deadly characters, I need to kill the one defender I kneel and plus one more from the rest of the characters in play.

Ergo, you are basically correct in your scenario. Just to clarify on two points: First, I assume when you say your opponent's power pool you mean his house card. If your opponent doesn't have power on his house card, there's nothing for you to steal when you win the power challenge. Second, it doesn't matter whether your opponent's title opposes you for the "opposed" bonus --what matters is that your title opposes him.

For Deadly: (a) Only characters participating in the challenge count. (b) Deadly works the same regardless of challenge type (that is, it doesn't have to be a military challenge). (c) Deadly is resolved after the claim is resolved for a challenge. Thus, if you defend a military challenge with one character in a challenge where your opponent has more Deadly characters participating and claim 1 on his plot card and you choose to kill that defending character to satisfy the claim of the challenge then there will be no defending characters left for Deadly to affect and so Deadly fizzles, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGoRed wrote:

For Deadly: (a) Only characters participating in the challenge count. (b) Deadly works the same regardless of challenge type (that is, it doesn't have to be a military challenge). (c) Deadly is resolved after the claim is resolved for a challenge. Thus, if you defend a military challenge with one character in a challenge where your opponent has more Deadly characters participating and claim 1 on his plot card and you choose to kill that defending character to satisfy the claim of the challenge then there will be no defending characters left for Deadly to affect and so Deadly fizzles, so to speak.

Cool, Deadly is a fine feature then, allowing you to get extra kills on other challenges beside military, but not so overpowered, I really thought you would have to kill more characters than the ones participating.

But what If the opponent chooses to not participate in the attack (attack with deadly characters, claim 1) he still gonna need to choose 2 characters to die, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo Proxy wrote:

Cool, Deadly is a fine feature then, allowing you to get extra kills on other challenges beside military, but not so overpowered, I really thought you would have to kill more characters than the ones participating.

But what If the opponent chooses to not participate in the attack (attack with deadly characters, claim 1) he still gonna need to choose 2 characters to die, right?

No. Deadly can only kill chararacters involved in the challenge. If your opponent chooses not do commit any characters to the defense in a challenge Deadly has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this situation guys, that my group came across:

I have a plot deck with CLAIM 2

I make a military challenge, the enemy chooses to defend with only one character, so this means he will only kill 1 character? It would be more fair that, if he chooses to defend with one, he needs to kill another one. and if he chooses not to defend at all, he needs to kill 2 nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo Proxy wrote:
What about this situation guys, that my group came across:

I have a plot deck with CLAIM 2

I make a military challenge, the enemy chooses to defend with only one character, so this means he will only kill 1 character? It would be more fair that, if he chooses to defend with one, he needs to kill another one. and if he chooses not to defend at all, he needs to kill 2 nonetheless.

When it comes to claim, it doesn't matter how many characters a player defends with. If the defender loses, he must fulfill the claim. So, in your situation, the defender must still kill 2 characters even if he only defendes with one (or none).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the character that defended doesn't have to be chosen to die for claim; you can generally select any two characters whether they participated as defenders or not. Just want to make that clear if it wasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGoRed wrote:
Also, the character that defended doesn't have to be chosen to die for claim; you can generally select any two characters whether they participated as defenders or not. Just want to make that clear if it wasn't.

Really? How did I miss that? where it says on the rulebook?

So, on any military challenge, if I defend with the X character, the defender can still choose to kill the Y and Z defender (the ones not participating in the challenge)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Heinz
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 14 (Military Challenge)

The defender must fulfil the claim if possible! Remember that a single character can't be chosen twice to fulfil a claim (i.e. you can't use a saver and then kill the same character to fulfil a claim of 2).

In my opinion deadly is only useful in Power/Intrigue challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Found it now "...(these do not have to be the characters who participated in the challenge)..."

whistle

But I still didn't quite figure out the deadly thing.
The deadly feature only forces the defender to choose and kill one participating character or does it gives the attacker 1 bonus on the claim (meaning the defender has to kill the claim value plus 1 more for the deadly advantage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Heinz
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the attacker has the most deadly characters, a single participating defender is killed AFTER the claim. Hence if the player kills his single defending character to fulfill the claim, deadly will have no target anymore. The claim value is not changed by deadly! That's why deadly is only powerful in Intrigue/Power challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, deadly can be useful in military challenges as well because it forces your opponent to either give you unopposed or kill off a character with a military icon, continued deadly attacks can put him into a position where he has no ability to defend your military challenge without sacrificing a major character as well as the quandary of facing a two claim challenge, does he give you unopposed and kill off two characters of his choice? Does he defend with one chump blocker and kill another claim soaker? Does he send enough strength against you to beat you and still end up losing a character to deadly?

Intrigue and Power challanges are by far more useful to use deadly on, but military is not useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.