Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolf
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could I ask you to clarify the claiming and scoring rules:
For example, if there is a sequence of 6 connected tiles (i.e. they all contain elements of the same group), red controls five of them and blue the sixth but the five red ones are not connected (or not connected by the group elements), could red claim anyway (or in the example from the rules, if you switched control of both the bottom, 2nd from left to blue and bottom, 2nd from right to red, could red still claim?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sutherland
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to claim, you need the required amount of tiles connected. The element you claim for must have a continuous group across those tiles.

Example 1 on left, Example 2 on right

In example 1, Player Red has locked 4 Tiles together which are connected by the Fire Element. Player Blue has locked a tile which also contains Fire Elements in that group. Player Red may claim his connected grouping of 4 tiles for Victory Points. The 5th tiles, although connected by Fire is owned by Player Blue. Player Red can only claim tiles that are locked by him. There are 8 fire elements in his group, which results in 4 VPs. The tiles involved are removed from play and the "split" tile (top left) is shuffled back into the stack. This example assume there are at least 3 players in the game.

In example 2, Player Red has locked 4 Tiles which contain Fire Element, but Player Blue has locked a tile which also contains Fire Elements in that group. Player Red may claim his connected grouping of 3 tiles for Victory Points. There are 8 in the group, which results in 4 VPs. The tiles are removed from play and the "split" tiles (far right) are shuffled back into the stack. This example assume there are at least 4 players in the game.

Bear in mind the required amount of tiles to claim.
2 Players = 5 Tiles Connected and Locked
3 Players = 4 Tiles Connected and Locked
4+ Players = 3 Tiles Connected and Locked

Hope this helps, I will be updating the rules to make this easier to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, that helps.
What I was not sure about is where the 'connected' comes in.
I (wrongly) interpreted your rules as follows: we first look at some type of element, say 'fire', and determine (without regard to locks) connected groups. Then a player checks how many tiles of a specific connected group he has locked. If that is above the minimum then the player may claim all tiles locked by him which have elements from the connected group.
What you probably mean is:
An element is locked by a player if it is on a tile locked by that player. A connected group of elements locked by a player can be claimed by that player (during his claiming phase) if it spans at least 3/4/5 tiles.

What is still not clear is whether you can claim a smaller group of locked elements than possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sutherland
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
An element is locked by a player if it is on a tile locked by that player.

Yes.

Quote:
A connected group of elements locked by a player can be claimed by that player (during his claiming phase) if it spans at least 3/4/5 tiles.

Yes. If a continuous group of the same element is spanned over 3/4/5 tiles locked by the same player, it can be claimed by that player.

Quote:
What is still not clear is whether you can claim a smaller group of locked elements than possible.

No. You need the minimum amount of tiles to claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ASutherland wrote:

Quote:

No. You need the minimum amount of tiles to claim.

What I meant was different: suppose I've locked a group of elements on 7 tiles. Can I now only claim 6 of the tiles (which I guess still have to be connected) and leave the seventh tile on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sutherland
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What I meant was different: suppose I've locked a group of elements on 7 tiles. Can I now only claim 6 of the tiles (which I guess still have to be connected) and leave the seventh tile on the board?

If the 7th tile is connected and locked to your elemental grouping you may claim it along with the other 6. If not, then you must leave it on the board. The claimed tiles must form a continuous group of one element.

If all 7 are continuously connected you can strategically claim less than the full group (as long as claimed tiles form a continuous group themselves).

Edit: NB. You must claim at least the minimum amount of tiles. For example: In a 2 player game the minimum is 5 tiles.
If you connect and lock 8 tiles, and decided to claim, you must claim at least 5. But you may claim up to and including the 8th tile if you choose.

hope this answers your question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably these questions apply to an earlier version than 2.0? Those rules do not mention claiming at all, and some of the locks on the examples are contrary to the rules on locking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sutherland
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. claiming was part of the earliest version of Drewdle, it was complicated, didn't work well and ultimately abandoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.