Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I like many of the ideas in Wild Kingdom. I sat down to really try and learn the rules today, and ran into a few issues. Mostly I think it was just with the choice of wording in a few areas. In particular, I really didn't like:

Quote:
A meld is initiated with exactly three cards that are similar in one or more of these characteristics. The cards must
always be in the same group, and may be in the same family and/or be the same animal or action.

Isn't it equivalent to just say:

Quote:
A meld is initiated with exactly three cards of the same color.

I thought about some alternative ways to explain things. I went ahead and spent an hour or so writing out my thoughts. They aren't proof read and aren't quite complete. I don't explain the play area or the information on the cards. Anyway, it was more of a way to relax and pass the time. You can see them here:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhdx9f7c_255hqv98kc5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to go over the rules. I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, so I appreciate the attempt to simplify them. I like the way you've restated some of the concepts. Please feel free to add the player aid to the files as I think it would be useful for learning how to play.

I am continuing to try and improve the game's rules and play, so it's likely that another revision may be available at some point.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game sounds quite interesting. I just have to get up the gumption to make another 110 card PnP. (My game Equilibrium has 240 cards now and I think I've made about 4-5 copies of that one by hand.)

The only thought I had during reading was that the "Wild Animals" still seem a little powerful. I noticed you give them a fair sized penalty for being left in hand, but I really doubt they'd be left in hand that often. Have you considered having people discard the Camouflage cards *and* the Wild Animals right before scoring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wild Animal card is pretty powerful, but the balance is that it's risky to play as it can be herded into a King of Beasts meld (or into any other higher-ranked meld).

I understand the reluctance to make another card game. During the PnP dice game contest, I made about 125 dice and I didn't want to see another one for a long time afterwards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.