Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The fishman is the viking more cheaper and also is the best of all. The fishman gives 4 fishes per viking that if you do not feed him you lose 1 point. And for each fish that you have above the number of your total Vikings you get 2 points! The fishman is very important to you score and the most cheaper! I've played this game several times (40x) and I feel that the fishman make much difference to win the game and it must be buyed as soon and always it is possible. So my suggestion is not guaranteed this 2 extra points for each viking you could feed with the fishman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think you might be doing something wrong. first, i would recommend playing the progress version if you've played the basic version that many times. also, are you turning the wheel? if people buy up the fishermen, then the other vikings become just as cheap as the fishermen. in the basic game the fishermen start off cheap because typically no one wants them.

the downside of fishermen is that they do nothing for you until the end of the game. if you only get fishermen in the beginning, i'm sure you will quickly fall behind other players who are getting more income from goldsmiths or are collecting points every scoring round from the other vikings while you collect nothing. fishermen are important, but i think you normally want to buy them as late as possible since they only help you at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
i think you might be doing something wrong. first, i would recommend playing the progress version if you've played the basic version that many times.

I played it many times in BSW and Yucata. I am not doing nothing wrong. I also played the full version 5x with my friends.

Quote:
also, are you turning the wheel? if people buy up the fishermen, then the other vikings become just as cheap as the fishermen. in the basic game the fishermen start off cheap because typically no one wants them.

When I play it, everybody prefered takes the fishman first.

Quote:
they only help you at the end

But they helps a lot! I always do a lot of points with them. Try to take them as soon as possible and you will see... thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really too bad that the two online implementations of the game are only the basic game as it is a much less interesting game. Vikings is one of my favorite games but I wouldn't waste my time with the basic game.

I agree that the fisherman are really good for scoring points and if you let somebody take all the fisherman they will probably win. A red viking is worth 6 points if taken in the 1st or second round and less if taken later. A blue viking is always worth 5 points minimum since it feeds 4 other vikings and itself that would be -5 points if you couldn't feed those 5 vikings, and could be worth more if you are scoring them with green vikings or you are over feeding at the end of the games.

That being said I don't think that is a problem because there are plenty of other things in the game to balance this. Money for example is very important so yellow vikings are quite good. You can controll turn order and then place the vikings that you want first so they are too expensive for everyone else.

Also you will end up with some ships so black vikings are necessary(infact this could end up scoring you more points if you end up with hi VP ships early).

Gray vikings are useful when you are unable to place your vikings and score bonus points at the end of the game if you have the most Also if you use them you decrease the number of mouths to feed which also scores you points.

The red and green vikings are less interesting as they are more clear on what they do for you and often not as strong as other options but certainly help you towards a victory. If you pick up a few of the bonus tiles for these vikings you can really score a lot of points

This is all based on the advanced game so maybe the only variant you need is to play the advance game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played twice so far, but I haven't seen any surplus in scoring. I think the most we've seen is about what the example in the rulebook has, 23 vikings, 5 fisherman for a whopping 4 points or so.

quartersmostly wrote:
A red viking is worth 6 points if taken in the 1st or second round and less if taken later.

More if you get red bonus tiles, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
It's really too bad that the two online implementations of the game are only the basic game as it is a much less interesting game. Vikings is one of my favorite games but I wouldn't waste my time with the basic game.

I agree that the fisherman are really good for scoring points and if you let somebody take all the fisherman they will probably win. A red viking is worth 6 points if taken in the 1st or second round and less if taken later. A blue viking is always worth 5 points minimum since it feeds 4 other vikings and itself that would be -5 points if you couldn't feed those 5 vikings, and could be worth more if you are scoring them with green vikings or you are over feeding at the end of the games.

That being said I don't think that is a problem because there are plenty of other things in the game to balance this. Money for example is very important so yellow vikings are quite good. You can controll turn order and then place the vikings that you want first so they are too expensive for everyone else.

Also you will end up with some ships so black vikings are necessary(infact this could end up scoring you more points if you end up with hi VP ships early).

Gray vikings are useful when you are unable to place your vikings and score bonus points at the end of the game if you have the most Also if you use them you decrease the number of mouths to feed which also scores you points.

The red and green vikings are less interesting as they are more clear on what they do for you and often not as strong as other options but certainly help you towards a victory. If you pick up a few of the bonus tiles for these vikings you can really score a lot of points

This is all based on the advanced game so maybe the only variant you need is to play the advance game.

I agree. Money is good yet, but the blue vikings are my first choose always, because if I don't take it, my oponents will and each fishman has chance to score 10 points at the endgame. For this reason, I don't like the price of them. They are very valuable to final score.
A alternative suggest is to change the wheel order to:
green > yellow > red > grey > blue > black

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thiagbs wrote:
quartersmostly wrote:

I agree. Money is good yet, but the blue vikings are my first choose always, because if I don't take it, my oponents will and each fishman has chance to score 5 points + 10 points at the endgame. For this reason, I don't like the price of them. They are very valuable to final score.
A alternative suggest is to change the wheel order to:
green > yellow > red > grey > blue > black

If you play the advance game there is not set order. The players in turn order chose all vikings of one color to go on the auction wheel starting at the expensive end. This way if you feel blue vikings are valuable you can make them more expensive at the start so if people think they are the most important they will have to pay a premium to buy them early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is the best way. I didn't know there was that possibility (I only played this game with the special tile, without auction). The value of the vikings changes with the game progress. The problem is to play with newbies this full advanced rules... They will not know as set up the wheel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.