Subject: Is South-East Asia included if I score Asia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I would like to know if the countries in South-East Asia are respected if Asia is scored?

South-East Asia has it's own scoring card, so it seems that it will be scored separately but there is a hint on the map (2nd edition) which says 'Subregion of Asia'.

So I'm a little bit confused about how to score Asia and/or South-East Asia. Additionally I can't find informations about this in the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all SE Asia countries are included in Asia scoring. They are only considered separately for the SE Asia scoring card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again,
JohnRayJr wrote:
Yes, all SE Asia countries are included in Asia scoring. They are only considered separately for the SE Asia scoring card.

many thanks for the quick answer.

Is this explained anythere in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Me again,
JohnRayJr wrote:

many thanks for the quick answer.

Jack is the rules. (The only person I trust more for rules interpretation is Jason Matthews.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:

From the Deluxe Edition Rulebook (I can check the previous edition if that's the rulebook you're using).

Deluxe Edition Rulebook wrote:
Rule 2.1.2: Any event, rule, action or card that refers to 'Europe' or 'Asia' includes the associated sub-regions.

Jaysachs wrote:
Jack is the rules. (The only person I trust more for rules interpretation is Jason Matthews.)

All these questions keep me on my toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Robinson
Canada
Timmins
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have indicated, yes, the countries of South-East Asia are included in Asia Scoring.

More precisely, they all count as 'regular' countries (Thailand is a battleground, all others are non-battlegrounds) for Asia Scoring. The specific point values for the SE Asian countries listed on the SE Asia Scoring card should *only* be used with that card, and not for Asia Scoring generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again,

JohnRayJr wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:

From the Deluxe Edition Rulebook (I can check the previous edition if that's the rulebook you're using).

I use the 2nd edition rules, so you don't need to check it. Maybe I should download the deluxe edition rules because they include all errata and faq entries?!

JohnRayJr wrote:
Rule 2.1.2: Any event, rule, action or card that refers to 'Europe' or 'Asia' includes the associated sub-regions.

I see...

JohnRayJr wrote:
Jaysachs wrote:

All these questions keep me on my toes.
[/q]

many thanks again John, ähm Jack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe I should download the deluxe edition rules because they include all errata and faq entries?!

Feel free, but rule 2.1.2 is exactly the same in the 2nd edition rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Ulinder
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taulus wrote:

More precisely, they all count as 'regular' countries (Thailand is a battleground, all others are non-battlegrounds) for Asia Scoring. The specific point values for the SE Asian countries listed on the SE Asia Scoring card should *only* be used with that card, and not for Asia Scoring generally.

I think I've understood the concept of how to treat the south east asia for scoring purposes from all the replys in this thread... but just for absolute certainty, I'd like the above confirmed.

I can make two interpretations of the asia scoring card:

1. Asia is scored, awarding VP for presence, domination, control, and the usual modifiers for battlegrounds etc. All countries in asia (i.e. including those in southeast asia) are used for the calculation.

or

2. As above, but the south east asia scoring rules are also applied, i.e. 1 VP for each controlled country in south east asia, except Thailand which rewards 2 VP. This would be because south east asia is a sub-region of asia and should therefore be included according to the rules above?

Which one is correct? Or is it a third interpretation that I've missed completely? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garou Garou
Italy
flag msg tools
Freppa wrote:
taulus wrote:

I think I've understood the concept of how to treat the south east asia for scoring purposes from all the replys in this thread... but just for absolute certainty, I'd like the above confirmed.

I can make two interpretations of the asia scoring card:

1. Asia is scored, awarding VP for presence, domination, control, and the usual modifiers for battlegrounds etc. All countries in asia (i.e. including those in southeast asia) are used for the calculation.

or

2. As above, but the south east asia scoring rules are also applied, i.e. 1 VP for each controlled country in south east asia, except Thailand which rewards 2 VP. This would be because south east asia is a sub-region of asia and should therefore be included according to the rules above?

Which one is correct? Or is it a third interpretation that I've missed completely? meeple

Interpretation 1. is correct.

See also:
"10.3.2 End Game Victory. If neither side has achieved victory of any kind by the end of turn 10, then every Region is scored as if its regional scoring card had just been played (these new VPs are added to the current score). Southeast Asia is not scored separately: it is included in the Asia scoring calculations."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Ulinder
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garou66 wrote:
Interpretation 1. is correct.

See also:
"10.3.2 End Game Victory. If neither side has achieved victory of any kind by the end of turn 10, then every Region is scored as if its regional scoring card had just been played (these new VPs are added to the current score). Southeast Asia is not scored separately: it is included in the Asia scoring calculations."

Thank you for your quick reply! :-) This was somewhat what I thought... eventhough...

The end game victory scoring actually also can be interpretated as if the special scoring of southeast asia should be scored along with the regular asia scoring;

If would be interpretation 2 in my previous post that would be correct (which it in fact doesn't seem to be, but anyway), the end game scoring would imply that southeast asia is only scored once (with the regular asia scoring, according to my interpretation 2 above) but not a second time for only the southeast asia scoring, since this would mean south east asia would be scored twice...

This maybe is drifting into very obscure interpretation, but for someone new to the game like me, it isn't obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Same deal with Eastern and Western Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Freppa wrote:

The end game victory scoring actually also can be interpretated as if the special scoring of southeast asia should be scored along with the regular asia scoring;

But then you are still scoring SE Asia separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Ulinder
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
Same deal with Eastern and Western Europe.

But they don't have special scoring rules do they?

azuredarkness wrote:
Freppa wrote:

But then you are still scoring SE Asia separately.

Yeah, I do understand how it's supposed to be done now... I guess the hickup is that there is special scoring rules for southeast asia (but not for any other sub continent?), and when saying that those are included in the regular asia scoring you are in fact excluding the special scoring rules...

Anyway, we interpretated this the wrong way on our first game the other night, but thanks to all helpful replys here on the geek we won't in our next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.