12 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Catan Road Building Rules Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Roger

Ohio
msg tools
We've had some epic semantic debates about this question after combing over the rule book. Tried a search here on the forum but couldn't find it addressed elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Minard
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brown or the Red player may build a road there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred Minard wrote:
The Brown or the Red player may build a road there.

I second that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, brown and red.

This should really be moved to the Catan forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
ADMIN NOTE: Moved to Settlers of Catan Rules Forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
To be more precise:

A player may build a road anywhere that is attached to another one of his roads, settlements, or cities.

So, that is clearly true for red and brown. Blue, however, can't build a road at the marked location because it is not attached to his existing roads -- the red settlement has blocked him.

Note that if red were to (somehow) build a settlement between brown's existing road segments, brown could STILL build a road in the marked spot, because it would still be attached to an existing road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Roger

Ohio
msg tools
Thanks for the move. I didn't realize there were per game forums.

I agree with the consensus that blue can't build there. But the rules don't explicitly state that another player's settlement blocks your road. Which is the grounds for contention.

The rules about longest road do seem to imply that settlements break roads, but it's not explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
Grundlebug wrote:

I agree with the consensus that blue can't build there. But the rules don't explicitly state that another player's settlement blocks your road. Which is the grounds for contention.

There is a FAQ on www.catan.com that addresses this question. See http://www.catan.com/faq/2-catan-boardgame/992-roads-can-the...

Quote:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Roads - Can the roads I build "go through" other players’ settlements and cities?

Answer
No. If you build a new road, it must always connect to one of your own roads, settlements, or cities.

The 3rd edition rules have a FAQ that addresses this question, but I can't find a similar reference in the 4th edition rules.

Grundlebug wrote:
The rules about longest road do seem to imply that settlements break roads, but it's not explicit.

Pages 8-9 of the 4th edition rules show an example of a longest road that clearly include some of the player's settlements in the road. The rules also state that an opponent's settlement breaks a road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Roger

Ohio
msg tools
Yes! Just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
JustPeachy wrote:

Pages 8-9 of the 4th edition rules show an example of a longest road that clearly include some of the player's settlements in the road.

This is also stated at http://www.catan.com/faq/2-catan-boardgame/983-settlements-a...

Quote:
Settlements and Cities - Can I build a settlement within my existing continuous road?

Answer
Yes. Your own settlement does not interrupt your continuous road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Simpson
msg tools
dcclark wrote:
To be more precise:

A player may build a road anywhere that is attached to another one of his roads, settlements, or cities.

Note that if red were to (somehow) build a settlement between brown's existing road segments, brown could STILL build a road in the marked spot, because it would still be attached to an existing road.

Is just a road enough though? This post in the catan FAQ implies that it must lead back to a settlement or city.
(http://www.catan.com/faqs/93?page=1)

Quote:
Longest Road - May I add individual road pieces to an interrupted (Longest) Road?

Yes. You can add individual road pieces as long as you have a settlement or city to connect them to.

I don't know if road was not mentioned on purpose, which would mean you have to have a settlement or city in the chain, or accidental, which would mean you could build onto the end of a dangling road of a broken chain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
In the base game, there is no way to remove a settlement / city. So, roads are always connected to a settlement / city.
If a road is interrupted, this is only relevant for counting the Longest Road.

But even if there was only a single road in the middle of nowhere, you could still build a road next to it. Because there is only 1 rule: To build a piece, you must have one of your own pieces directly adjacent to it. And this is the reason, why you can build next to the arrow in this case:

S - R - OS - R >

(where S is your settlement, R is your road and OS is opponent's settlement)

but cannot build here next to the arrow:

S - R - OS >

In the first one, you build next to your (road-)piece, in the second one, the next piece is opponent's settlement.

That easy?
Yes, that easy!

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.