Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Monday Gaming at Sylvain's 2004/02/09 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Shaver
flag msg tools
I've been having trouble keeping up with my gaming Journal, but I'm back to gaming fairly regularly.

This is a session report for Monday the 9th of February.

Julia, Sylvain and I were in attendance. Maryline and Arthur were also present but didn't join in the gaming. Arthur was having a bit of trouble getting to sleep and he wanted to play too. I think we'll have to wait a couple years before he can join us.

We broke out Industrial Waste. I hadn't heard anything about this game until recently when I was in Fandom II in Ottawa and the owner said check it out. I was skeptical and didn't really make much of an effort. When Sylvain had a copy, my opinion improved. (When a gamer I respect, has invested hard earned gaming dollars in a game and not thrown it out after, anything is worth a second look) It was lots of fun. It took us a couple rounds to really grasp the cards. I started off getting 4 quick growths in 3 rounds (1 double). I decided that just ending the game wouldn't be worth very many points. Next I switched to producing every turn and ended up in the RED waste catagory (Money alone also isn't really the way to win). Followed by 2 quick accidents (one was the top card after a cut) and the end of the game accident and I was officially trounced.

Julia 44
Sylvain 33
Mike 26
My rating a high 8.

I really enjoyed this game and had a lot of fun producing lots of toxic waste. I'm looking forward to my next playing.

Next we switched to a few quick games. Sylvain hadn't played TransAmerica, or Coloretto before so I brought them over. TransAmerica was a fun fast game. I think it was liked by all. I find the game is a bit better with more people but it's a good filler and great for the family.

Mike 13
Julia ~10
Sylvain ~6

My rating 7.

Next a game of Coloretto. This is a fun fast card game that is easy to learn. Everyone I introduce this too seems to enjoy it. Sylvain picked it up really quickly and Julia tried a more aggressive strategy than usual so it was a great tight game.

Player: Round1, R2, Final
Mike : 33, 65, 101
Julia : 30, 61, 100
Sylvain: 30, 60, 95

My Rating 8.

I really like this game for a quick interlude. There is a bunch of luck but I still rate it an 8.

We finished off the evening with a game of Cartagena. I guess I just really don't get this game. Sylvain really helped us out by showing us a couple of standard moves but I don't really get the strategy. I'll have to play a couple more times and I'd like to try the Tortuga version. But it's not going on my buy list (like Industrial Waste).

Pirates in the boat
Mike 6
Sylvain 4
Julia 4

Rating 5 (could improve with time)

That was it for this week. Same time same place next week
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.