Subject: Carcassonne. Great for a few plays a month. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been hearing about Carcassonne for a while before I ever got a chance to play it. My friend had it, just the core game, which is why that's all I'm reviewing here, and had been trying to get us to play it for months. He was usually overruled by his fiance, so...we never played it. That is until recently. She finally relented and we got to play a few times that night, and a few more about a month later.

Pros:
1. The game is very easy to explain and is also very easy to set-up. It took longer to find the game and bring it to the table than it did to explain it, which says more about the state of my friend's apartment than it does about the explanation and set-up. In the end it took less than 10 minutes to set the game up, as there is nearly no set-up, and to explain the rules.
2. The game tiles are very well made and the art work is fairly attractive.
3. The strategy involved can be, with the right group, quite intense. You are constantly trying to find ways to share or even steal cities or farms, or find ways to hang someone out to dry. These strategic moves and such won't come to a player or group the first time through, they instead will slowly develop after a few playthroughs, and this will make the game a far richer experience.

Cons:
1. Scoring can be and often is a nightmare. Most of us in our group use a lot of farming for our strategies, and when you have all these meeple meeple lying around. It can take a while to get everyone's scores sorted out. This is one of the reasons my group so rarely plays it, we don't mind the game play, we just hate to score it.
2. This next con might just be something with our group, but often there is a lot of downtime between turns. Especially with a five person group like the one I play with. This will often happen in the late game where there are a few tiles left, the game is close and every point matters.

Neutral:
1. There's a bit of luck involved and that can be a problem, there will be times where no matter how solid your strategy you will not be able to win. Sometimes, the game is what beats you. By that same token sometimes all the tiles fall your way and there is no way you can lose. This isn't a con to me because I feel it all balances out in the end, and your competition faces the same randomness, but to many it might be off putting.

In the end, I'm quite happy that my friend finally got his fiance to let us play it, and while it's not a game that I want to play every day, it is something I'm willing to play every once in a while for a few times through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen any problems scoring. Just look to see which fields are connected and count complete castles. What's the problem? The scoring is simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe first there are arguments over which of the different versions of scoring get to be used?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter which rules you use ..... and this counts for every game there is .... if you're not happy with certain rules, just adjust them to your and your opponents needs so that everyone's happy with it.
For instance, you could skip the field scoring completely (as mentioned in other topics before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.