Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much replayability does this game have? I know there are 3 different campaigns but how many different missions exactly? Will replaying missions become boring? Is it always the same defense set up for each mission so it becomes a bit predictable?

Also, I saw there are only 18 random events, do these become boring after playing through 1 or 2 campaigns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 events per card is 54 events, this weekend ive played all six campaigns long, inc USAF Linebacker twice & im itching to go again. Also mission set up is different per mission & campaign, so lots of variables!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles, in addition to selecting the pilots (and their inherent aircraft) to your squad, the game gives you the option to have pilots assigned to you randomly, thereby "forcing" you to use various types of aircraft you might not ordinarily opt for. That alone, I think, makes the game's overall replayability virtually limitless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Ng
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lots of replayability because there is randomness in a lot of aspects like mission selection, random events, placement and type of enemy defenses, also pilot selection (optional rule).

The same missions and camapaigns do not give you exactly the same results each time you play.

But that doesn't mean that the game is highly biased towards luck / bad luck.
Mission planning and execution is still left to the player to deal with.
Good planning will greatly increase chances of mission success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
In some ways, the game almost acts as a parameterized puzzle generator: a big part of each mission is figuring out your plan for penetrating the defenses, which are always different. It doesn't really get stale at all.

The two sides (Air Force, Navy) of each campaign play *quite* differently too: different targets and different aircraft. So the three campaigns are really six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all said above. But I miss some points which could be a boring thing for some people.
The Tactical Display (terrain) is always the same. There are different numbers and types of bandits and sites. But always only bandits and sites. These two are placed on different places which are only 6. Not more and and not less.
The targets are different and the same at the same time. The goal is to destroy them. There are no half successes. Bandits and sites are usually annoying obstacles on the way to the target but you get no rewards destroying them. And there is usually only one target.
How I get to the target? It is always the same: punch through and press home the attack.
The fun for me with this game and all other Leader games is not necessarily the actual flight but preparing the mission and observing the mission how it evolves.
I am a fan of this game and all other Leader games but I am very well aware of the fact that this type of game can be boring for some people. The same could be said for example for Silent War and the upcoming Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1. I like it but for some it is very boring.
In the last years I tend to believe in a generally way that when a game simulates the reality it tends to be boring for some people. In short: the more simulation the more boring. Think at B-17: Queen of the Skies or B-29 Superfortress or Patton's Best. I have them all and I like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great answers from everyone, thanks.

One little clarification. If I played the same exact campaign, somehow drew the exact same mission, would it not be the exact same thing? Are enemy units placed according to the mission card or randomized in a different way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A target card will tell you to draw X amount of sites /bandits for the centre are & the 4 approaches. You draw these sites/bandits froma pool of such, so they are different every time, some better (for you), eg infantry & some not eg SA-2. though saying that having to F-4s damaged by infantry in 1 mission is very annoying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Ng
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
habchr wrote:
The goal is to destroy them. There are no half successes.

There is an optional rule that lets you consider partially damaged targets.

Quote:
Bandits and sites are usually annoying obstacles on the way to the target but you get no rewards destroying them.

You have to hit them sometimes to increase survivability of your pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.