United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Played AH for the first time in months and of course had to resolve tons of rules issues and refresh my recollection. There were a few issues that came up that I had to use my judgment on though:
-Can you choose to engage a location special ability even if you cannot pass it? The purpose of this would be to avoid an encounter. So, for example say that you will choose to activate the ability instead of having an encounter but then saying "whoops not enough money/clues/trophies!"

-When you come back, you have to come back through the Other World gate you explore yes (or another gate of the same Other World). There was an item I hadn't seen or at least used before which allowed the owner to come through any gate, but I was struggling to see how this would be useful if those other gates don't count as explored if you come through them, and thus you can't even close, much less seal.

-Items seem to give rise to a lot of issues. I'd just like to get a clear understanding of the general principle. Any "hand" weapons/spells must be chosen before combat (with monster or combat check), and failing a spell still takes up a hand (another reason why spells are terrible). All other items can be "used" at any time on one's turn where useful. I swear there's one or maybe more limitations to this, but I can't find them offhand.

-All items are multi-use unless instruct discard/remove. (There was one yesterday that seemed super powerful--don't remember which--but did not instruct discard.)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
-Can you choose to engage a location special ability even if you cannot pass it? The purpose of this would be to avoid an encounter. So, for example say that you will choose to activate the ability instead of having an encounter but then saying "whoops not enough money/clues/trophies!"


No, need the trophies (or at least $1 for shopping).

Quote:
-When you come back, you have to come back through the Other World gate you explore yes (or another gate of the same Other World). There was an item I hadn't seen or at least used before which allowed the owner to come through any gate, but I was struggling to see how this would be useful if those other gates don't count as explored if you come through them, and thus you can't even close, much less seal.


You get an Explored marker when you return to Arkham. Most of the time you'll return via the same gate you entered (and same OW), but with Gate Box, you can return to any gate. You still receive an Explored token. Good for exploring an easier OW (like Celeano or City of the Great Race), then return to a R'lyeh gate and close that.

Quote:
-Items seem to give rise to a lot of issues. I'd just like to get a clear understanding of the general principle. Any "hand" weapons/spells must be chosen before combat (with monster or combat check), and failing a spell still takes up a hand (another reason why spells are terrible). All other items can be "used" at any time on one's turn where useful. I swear there's one or maybe more limitations to this, but I can't find them offhand.


Failing a Spell takes up the hand(s) for that round of combat, you can change for a latter round, getting full use of hands.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Great, that's what I thought but at the same time I wasn't certain so we didn't allow it. Rules aren't totally clear on this afaict and it does seem slightly strange to say you "explored" the world of gate you've never been in (but came out of).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a "gate explored" marker, isn't it? You explored the gate when you came out, and it's the gate that needs closing, never mind what's on the other side ;)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yeah, I can see it both ways but that works for me (and makes the Gate Box useful, certainly).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at exploring another world as gaining the general information you need to seal a gate, rather than the specific gate of the world you explored. You're gaining information in your overall struggle to save the world.

Your mind then shrivels to the size of a pea and you forget the knowledge you gained and have to reacquire it to seal again.
:-)

Brian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
I'd just like to get a clear understanding of the general principle. Any "hand" weapons/spells must be chosen before combat (with monster or combat check), and failing a spell still takes up a hand (another reason why spells are terrible).


Spells are generally more powerful (per hand) than Weapons though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.