Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run is a 1 player, web-published, Print and Play game released in 2010.

Setup: The game consists of 5 pages of cards (10 pages of front/back) and a short set of rules. The pages must be printed and assembled, but the effort is fairly minimal. I printed the 10 pages on a color printer then pasted them on 5 pages of light card stock and cut them out. PnP enthusiasts would have more refined methods, but the simple print/paste/cut method will work. There are 5 different types of Heroes, many dungeon tiles, various encounter cards, treasure cards, 3 boss encounters and chits for increasing abilities and recording wounds.

Quick Overview of the Rules: The player randomly selects one of the 5 heroes. Each hero has a rating for brawn, skill, magic, and life. The hero starts on the entrance card of the dungeon. As the player explores the dungeon, it is built with randomly drawn cards. When each room (except the entrance and Boss Lair) is added to the dungeon layout, the player rolls a die to see if an encounter occurs (if so, a random card is drawn) and if treasure is available (another card draw).

There are a variety of monsters that may be encountered, as well as traps. Combat is handled by rolling a number of dice equal to the monster’s attack rating and comparing the results to the monster’s power rating to see if potential hits are scored. The hero then rolls his/her brawn or magic rating and compares it to the monster’s defense to see if the monster’s hits are blocked and/or damage is scored. If the monster is slain, the treasure, if any, is gained and the player can continue to explore the dungeon.

There are also rules for escaping combat. A basic level-up system is also included, allowing a hero to increase his/her brawn, skill or magic ratings after overcoming 3 encounters. After the dungeon is explored, the Boss Lair is added and the hero battles the Boss Monster.

General Impressions: I love a good fantasy/dungeon crawl and own/play many games in the genre, including Prophecy, Return of the Heroes, Tomb, Runebound, and Talisman. These games normally take several hours to play and with family, work and life obligations, these games don’t hit the table as often as I’d like to play them. Dungeon Run has the tag line”…Quicker than a Dungeon Crawl!”, and this is very true. The game plays quickly and in my experience, faster than the 45 minute time posted on the geek page.

Although not as deep as many other exploration/adventure/fantasy games, Dungeon Run is very rewarding despite its quick playtime. There are a variety of monsters and traps, several heroes with special abilities and various treasures and magical items to help the player. The basic level-up system allows the player to compensate for character weaknesses or go all-out in one attribute. The art is very good and there are enough encounter cards to keep the game fresh for many sessions. Dungeon Run would lend itself very well to additions and expansions; a Loot Pile Expansion was recently added, furthering the value and re-playability of this game.

Overall, Dungeon Run is a very good “light” dungeon crawl that helps to satisfy the adventure craving when you don’t have the time to play a deeper game.

Value : This game is definitely worth the ink and time to assemble.

Replay : Various heroes and encounters keep the game fresh for many plays, and an expansion has already been released.

Tilt : If you must have an epic, in-depth, adventure experience, this game may not be for you; but if you’d like a light, fast, dungeon crawl to tide you over, this is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice review. Just a quick correction, there are actually 6 Heroes available for the player...

1) Dwarf
2) Elf
3) Fighter
4) Priest
5) Thief
6) Wizard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malechi wrote:
Thanks for the nice review. Just a quick correction, there are actually 6 Heroes available for the player...

Ah, yes, quite true. Last game I was playing with the dwarf and counted 5 in the pile beside me. D'oh! Thanks for the catching that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Stolk

Michigan
msg tools
Where do I find the file to download and print the game and game rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiffanystolk wrote:
Where do I find the file to download and print the game and game rules?

They've been pulled as the "official" release is coming out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.