Subject: Translation of "Alea Iacta Est"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
What does Alea Iacta Est mean in English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Die is Cast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
What does Alea Iacta Est mean in English?

Roughly: Dice thrown is.

Latin does not have definite form. Iacta is past participle.

But for everyday use: The dice has been cast (or however you want to say it in English!). Although Caesar probably said in Greek in the first place, if he said it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
So "alea" means dice. Interesting, given that the publisher Alea makes some of the most dice-less games around.
:-)

In looking for a translation of "alea" I found that wikipedia has whole article on the phrase "Alea iacta est":

[Attributed to] "Julius Caesar on January 10, 49 BC as he led his army across the River Rubicon in northern Italy. With this step, he entered Italy at the head of his army in defiance of the Roman Senate and began his long civil war against Pompey and the Optimates."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alea_iacta_est

Apparently a very famous phrase which I had never heard about. I supposed this event is also where the phrase "crossing the Rubicon" came from. I blame the US public school system for my ignorance about all this (it's actually my own laziness, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that same article might have said something about "let fate decide" or, "the game is afoot." Apparently they had their own version of "buckets of dice." involving chicken bones (or was it chicken entrails?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.