BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Most wargamers open to sci-fi or strictly historical? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Do most "wargamers" play science fiction and/or fantasy wargames as well as historical, or are most wargamers strictly into recreating historical battles and such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
If you are a wargamer, do you play...
...mostly scifi or fantasy wargames?
...mostly historical wargames?
      88 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see more Sci-fi stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hungadunga wrote:
Poll
      88 answers

I don't think I want this poll here unless you add a third option "Plays both historical and sci-fi/fantasy wargames." Can you change it please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I consider myself a wargamer, I do own Star Fleet Battles and love to play it as well as any wargame I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I cut my teeth on Kingmaker and Star Fleet Battles. If you take a game like Federation & Empire, it's just like a bunch of historical war games: CRTs, hexes, managing units of various offensive, defensive, and movement capabilities, managing supply lines, and trying to take objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruleroftheuniverse wrote:
Can you change it please?

That's why I used the word "mostly".

That way no one can sit on the fence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Poll
      88 answers

When you consider what percentage of wargames overall have sci-fi or fantasy themes, this does seem to be a badly worded poll. The OP wants to know the level of openness to non-real-world settings. The poll asks instead which kind you spend more time playing. Lots of gamers who are completely open to fantasy and sci-fi themes are still going to end up having to say that they spend a lot more time on historical games--because there are lot more historical games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to play Sci-Fi wargames if they are available, but I had to put down mostly plays historical, because when I play wargames, I mostly play historical ones (which to my knowledge, an overwhelming amount of wargames are historical in comparison to sci-fi).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big wargame player but have started playing Warhammer 40K.

Personally I'm quite uncomfortable with recreating real battles where millions of people actually died. I bailed out of a WWII RPG recently too. I don't watch war films for true life dramas either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Hungadunga wrote:
Poll
      88 answers

How about a 3rd option: both equally?

Edit: oops, should read thread further before I reply! Now where's that coffee I so much need???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:

When you consider what percentage of wargames overall have sci-fi or fantasy themes, this does seem to be a badly worded poll. The OP wants to know the level of openness to non-real-world settings. The poll asks instead which kind you spend more time playing. Lots of gamers who are completely open to fantasy and sci-fi themes are still going to end up having to say that they spend a lot more time on historical games--because there are lot more historical games out there.

I agree. While Science Fiction is my preferred genre, when it comes to wargames, there are pretty few to choose from.

In the end, I think I'm playing about the same for both fictional and historical, thanks to my gf enjoying Wizard Kings and the recent release of Struggle for the Galactic Empire although the just released Frontline: D-Day may change the balance

Edit: I forgot about the OP I think there used to be more openness to fictional wargames years ago when serious Science Fiction / Fantasy wargames were much more common. Just look at the catalog of SPI and AH games in the late 70s and early 80s with games like Freedom in the Galaxy, Starship Troopers and many others, including some interesting smaller ones released in SPI's Ares magazine.

Now it seems wargaming has mostly moved away from non-historical settings and it's hard to find wargame publishers that do both (DVG, Decision Games and Columbia come to mind, and in all three cases the non-historical games are a minority).

Still, I hope things change, and we can start seeing more interesting simulations in these genres. Struggle was a big step in the right direction....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play wargames for the history, so I am one of those with absolutely no interest in sci-fi or fantasy wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Most whom I know seem open to sf/fantasy, but in practice play more historical (due to interest in the history and/or the higher availability of interesting historical wargames).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Poll
      88 answers

This poll doesn't seem to reflect the OP's question.

I play both, but as the historical variety is more prevalent, games based on historical events are in the majority. I would like to see more options as there are no modern analogs to games like Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon rereading the OP, maybe the poll should look like this:

Poll
As far as wargames go...
I only play historical wargames (including "whatif" historical games)
I play historical and scifi/fantasy wargames
I only play scifi/fantasy wargames
      19 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Upon rereading the OP, maybe the poll should look like this:

Poll
As far as wargames go...
I only play historical wargames (including "whatif" historical games)
I play historical and scifi/fantasy wargames
I only play scifi/fantasy wargames
      19 answers

Yeah, that looks better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as there's shooting/blasting/hacking/bombing/melee-ing going on, I don't care about the genre or era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm simply not interested in sci-fi. So I don't play sci-fi games. And if someboy talks me into trying one I always regret it because I find it absolutely dull - regardless of how good the game might be as a game. Sorry!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same is true for any kind of fantasy stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a game like Revolt on Antares. It involves combat on another planet with power infantry, jets, and tanks. However, it also involves magical artifacts.

City States of Arklyrell is combat on another planet with mythical creatures (ice worms, Roks -- kind of like Pteredactyls) and such.

Are these game war games because they involve CRTs, hexes, movement, and conflict. Are they fantasy because they both involve magical artifacts? Is City States a fantasy game because it involves mythical creatures?

The lines blur -- especially in mini games, such as Saga (the TSR pocket game), Cerberus: The Proxima Centauri Campaign, Hot Spot, Viking Gods, Moon Base Clavius, and The Warriors of Batak, to name a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
The lines blur

Indeed; a strict historical anti-fantasy/SF purist would have to say that the recent GMT game Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War is not a real wargame since it has sacrifices to the gods with concrete results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.