James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

There is a brief example of gameplay in this review but Carson city has quite alot of choices and things to do, so i only show you some of the key Mechanics of the game.

www.youtube.com/harrymaxryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done... nice review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the comments about the rule book in current editions. That type of information is very useful and an important part of my purchasing decisions (learned my lesson from Blackbeard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review James, and thanks for the shout out.

Is the updated rulebook available online? I have the first print, and would love to have a look at the updated version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I haven't seen the revised rulebook online as yet. It looks so identical to the older edition that upon first glance (actually i lie, 2nd Glance) i thought i had the older one. It basically includes the Q&A's in a way that is very discreet, also it changes some wording to make things clearer.

And thankyou, I will have to go through other games you've rated when i'm look at purchasing another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
Thank you for the comments about the rule book in current editions. That type of information is very useful and an important part of my purchasing decisions (learned my lesson from Blackbeard).

Same with me, Nothing worse than buying a broken game. I always like to know as much about the rulebook as possible. The older ed, rulebook is available for download here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46714/carson-city-cons...

It will still give you alot of detail as to game elements and so forth, The later one is just clearer and is a little more detailed in parts that really needed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the updated German rules online, but not the English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, James! Between you and Tom Vasel, I'm now going to order this one (and I would not have been drawn to it normally)!

One thing Tom mentioned, regarding firepower, that I found to be interesting was that you didn't always have to use it in duels or as a deterrent, but you could also play the "robber" role. What he said was that you could put a cowboy on an opponent's building (preferably a profitable one) and that you were then entitled to 50% of the income from that building. If you have high firepower, then I suppose it would be harder to remove that leeching cowboy.

Is this not a viable strategy? Was he incorrect in his reading of the rules? I thought this sounded like a neat touch, and I am really excited about all of the different paths to victory!

This review gets a solid 10/10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
Is this not a viable strategy? Was he incorrect in his reading of the rules? I thought this sounded like a neat touch, and I am really excited about all of the different paths to victory!

Yes it is a viable strategy, And yes Tom is certainly correct, I was pushing the 10 minute time limit on this review so i had to leave some things out. It's great, there are other ways to take advantage of this rule, not only if you have the most firepower but if your opponent has run out of cowboys or chosen to pass. Plant one of your cowboys on his building and because he has no more cowboys it'll go unchallenged.whistle Unless of course another opponent thinks "hey that's a good idea" and challenges you to a duel so he came reap the benefits of that other player's building.

Quote:
This review gets a solid 10/10!

Cheers mate, I've since invested in some new equipment that i feel has greatly improved my reviews, I love doing the reviews and there are plenty of games out there review worthy so expect more. Thanks for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed the review to, It always inspires me to do more.

Cheers,
Jimmy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.