Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were out at Ben Franklin's today, looking for flags and I decided that I'd see if there was chipboard available for purchase. Well, the ladies there didn't even know what chipboard was (even though they sold boxes made of the stuff as well as letters).

Well, I got to wandering around and found something interesting. Canvas board (http://art.benfranklin.com/9X12-CANVAS-BOARD-3PACK/M/B0027A7... for an example). It's pretty rigid and has a cotton canvas on one side and a smooth surface on the other (canvas glued to mdf). I got to thinking that with the proper sizes, you could probably use these as good boardgame pieces.

With tape, you could very easily attach pieces together so they folded up and then using spray adhesive, stick your pnp board game on the smooth side of the boards.

They're relatively inexpensive (the most I saw was around $8 US for the larger pieces) and I could get a pack of 3 for relatively little price.

The great thing is that the canvas is pre-primed and you could spray with a paint of your choice followed by a protective covering to keep the paint from scratching anything.

Or you could go all out and attach felt to the canvas side.

What do you folks think? A good choice? Or do you have a better idea of mounting materials for boards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend my son and i threw together 2 Canada Power Grid boards. We went to a local Tile shop and got a couple tile display boards they no longer needed. Knocked the old tiles off and mounted some sticky sided paper to board and covered paper with some dollar cheap laminate my son purchased.

Not the best but will do for us took less than 2 hours for 2 boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Slothrop
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the boards for my copy of Dead of Night with these things. They work well and look pretty nice. The worst parts were cutting them (usually used up a rotary blade on each board), and the part where you cut them is a little unseemly. The cut line I'm sure you could clean. The cutting though, was a major pain in the butt. I went through a 30 dollar pack of rotary blades making Dead of Night, and could only do one at a time basically. By the end of one you hand is killing you and you need a break. They look great though.

[edit] and to specifically say, these kind of boards gave me the best quality, but were so much work. Unless it is something really special I will most likely use foamcore, or more likely photo matte board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about using a table saw or circular saw with a fine-toothed blade meant for cutting MDF? It might produce a better cut...

Another option would be to use the router attachment with your dremel (or other rotary cutter) which might prove to give you a better result with less fatigue and more savings. Since router bits are probably less expensive than rotary blades are (in the long run).

EDIT: Oh, any photos of your completed project?

I've been thinking about doing this for a few of the PnP games here...Most notably, I want to set up Battle Platform Antilles on a small board to see how well it works out. Maybe even on a folding board made of smaller canvas boards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Aaron Brothers art stores and they sell sheets of 2mm photo matting board that works great for mounting stuff.

Lumber yards may also sell sheets of thin (1/8" range) plywood that could be used to mount maps on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from Home Depot with an interesting find. A Leather textured contact paper that looks like it might be a good wrapping for a gameboard. :) I'll have to see how it works and let you guys know.

A roll of 18 inch x 15 feet was about 7 dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.