Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Shameless thumbs.

Edit: the weird one is the Prestige/Search's Search Sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...interesting. I would have liked to see more cards but I guess I can't complain.

I wonder about the cards with pre-printed prestige symbols, like Uplift Code. Can you "spend" this prestige for things like the Casus Belli powers or are they merely used to determine the prestige leader?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wowzers. I am really excited about tBoW now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, good stuff. I really like Alien Research Team, it should make a pretty unique homeworld. The comment in the preview about drafting being up to 6 players interests me too; I've not tried drafting yet, but the bigger the deck gets the more tempting it becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like TBoW could make for shorter games, since the prestige leader gets one VP/turn. Once somebody acquires at least one prestige, there will be a steady drain on the VP pool. If I'm running a produce/consume engine in a two-player game against a military tableau, I can often be pretty confident that I'll be the only one taking any significant number of VP chips. Now that's probably not going to be so clear-cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:
Seems like TBoW could make for shorter games, since the prestige leader gets one VP/turn.

Where did you read this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer preview, linked in the first post in this thread wrote:
While 37 of the 48 TBOW game cards involve prestige, this is only ~20% of the combined deck. One challenge was making sure that players who drew only a few prestige cards didn’t feel hopelessly behind a player who got an early prestige lead. If the Prestige Leader bonus was too small, then vying for the prestige lead wouldn’t matter; if it was too large, then gaining prestige early on would dominate. Our solution was to vary the per round Prestige Leader bonus: 1 VP, plus a card draw if the Leader earned a prestige on the previous round; otherwise (or if tied), just 1 VP (which is nice, but can be easily overcome by other game actions).

EDIT: Since the preview also says there will be prestige markers, I wouldn't be surprised if the new game-end trigger Tom mentioned before is exhausting the prestige pool. I wonder how many prestige go into the pool per player? 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Lerche
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
I really like Alien Research Team, it should make a pretty unique homeworld.

I like this homeworld, too, and I see that it is blue 14, so a world that has less military tendencies. Now I'm curious about the other start worlds... Since the expansion focuses on Aliens and Uplift as well prestige, maybe one of them will be a military gene world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boycat-OH wrote:
Now I'm curious about the other start worlds... Since the expansion focuses on Aliens and Uplift as well prestige, maybe one of them will be a military gene world?

The blurb on the RGG site mentions Uplift Overseers, which I'm betting will be a militarily-inclined start world. I'd also bet that the Terraforming Engineers mentioned in passing in the preview will be the other non-military start world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Hmmm...interesting. I would have liked to see more cards but I guess I can't complain.

I wonder about the cards with pre-printed prestige symbols, like Uplift Code. Can you "spend" this prestige for things like the Casus Belli powers or are they merely used to determine the prestige leader?

Maybe it goes like: When this card comes into play, take a prestige chip from the pool.

And then there might be a 6dev that says: X vps / cards with prestige symbol on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I thought they would work, it makes the most sense to me. I wonder if the VP/round award for Prestige Leader each round comes out of the VP chip pool, shortening games with consumers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
QBert80 wrote:
I wonder if the VP/round award for Prestige Leader each round comes out of the VP chip pool, shortening games with consumers.

Five extra VPs are added to the pool. A 5 VP chip is supplied with this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How will Prestige work with the solitaire game? Ignore Prestige Leader perhaps, and the robot collects no Prestige?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potential Golden Age of Terraforming anti-synergy with produce powers
It occurs to me that the Golden Age of Terraforming's power to make newly-placed productions worlds start with a good is a mixed blessing. Most RftG players have felt the pain of having to consume a valuable genes or alien good from a just-settled windfall for a mere one victory point. GAoT can lead to the mirror image of this problem. Say you have GAoT and settle a production world with a nice produce power like Lost Species Ark World or the new Uplift Gene Breeders. If there's a produce phase that turn and you can't somehow consume the good before then, you won't be able to take advantage of the world's produce power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm heartbroken that they have not yet spilled the beans on the gobsmackingly obvious and clean Genes equivalent of Mining World:

Clean Genes World:
Cost 3, 2vp
Produces Green good.

We've been waiting for this shoe to drop for how long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
I'm heartbroken that they have not yet spilled the beans on the gobsmackingly obvious and clean Genes equivalent of Mining World:

Clean Genes World:
Cost 3, 2vp
Produces Green good.

Sorry, that world was conquered by giant killer bees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:

Clean Genes World:
Cost 3, 2vp
Produces Green good.

Gem World... Mining World... hmm...

Gene Suppliers:
Cost 4, 3vp
Produces Green good, if you do, draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:
MrWeasely wrote:

Clean Genes World:
Cost 3, 2vp
Produces Green good.

Gem World... Mining World... hmm...

Gene Suppliers:
Cost 4, 3vp
Produces Green good, if you do, draw a card.

That seems so much better than Malevolent Lifeforms. It is only slightly worse than Lost Species Ark World but easier to play. I like MrWeasely's card better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.