Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second thread in my new series: "If I Had My Way.." [IIHMW]

Grocery Shopping
Ever notice how many times your grocery items are handled? Let me elaborate: 1 - Pick up off the shelf, 2 - Place in grocery cart, 3 - Take out of grocery cart, 4 - Place on cash register conveyor, 5 - Cashier scans each item individually, 6 - Items are placed in bags, 7 - Bags with items are placed back into the grocery cart (or not), 8 - Bags are taken out of grocery cart and placed in your car, 9 - Bags are taken out of your car and placed in your home, 10 - Items are removed from bags, and FINALLY!!! 11 - Items are placed in refrigerator or pantry shelves.

Whew!! I'm tired just typing all that!!!!!

Well, if I Had My Way.........

.........I'd invent an all in one grocery shopping system!!!!!!! YAY!!

My Idea
You enter the grocery store and place your green bags in the cart. You select your items and place them inside the bags that are inside your cart.

The checkout is like a metal detector thingy that scans all the items and electronically rings them up!!

You pay and you are on your way to your car!!

Wow!! I cut out steps #2, 3, 4, 5, & 7. Now total times groceries are handled is just 6 instead of 11!!!

WAYT? [What Are Your Thoughts?]

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes!

They could build the self-checkout stations into the carts themselves, and you could scan items in to / out of your cart, which would give you an updated total after each scan. You could also upload a shopping list which would automatically check items off as you scan them in!

They could set it up so that you swipe a credit card when you take the cart, and then it automatically charges the total when the cart leaves the store. No checkout process whatsoever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:

Yes!

They could build the self-checkout stations into the carts themselves, and you could scan items in to / out of your cart, which would give you an updated total after each scan. You could also upload a shopping list which would automatically check items off as you scan them in!

They could set it up so that you swipe a credit card when you take the cart, and then it automatically charges the total when the cart leaves the store. No checkout process whatsoever!

YAY Quixle!!!!!

The technology has not advanced that much since I was a kid!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just think of what you want, and it instantly arrives in your pantry.

"Works for me!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:

Yes!

To carry that further the on-board shopping list could allow you to select from different brands and specials of items on your list and even list the aisle and shelf it's located at. Oh! And give you a total so you know what the bill will be before you start shopping. May as well stick a scanner on there for coupons too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothartvni wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:

Yes!

To carry that further the on-board shopping list could allow you to select from different brands and specials of items on your list and even list the aisle and shelf it's located at.

Excellent!

Now we just need a software designer and an engineer to build us a prototype, and we'll be millionaires!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
Lothartvni wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:

Yes!

To carry that further the on-board shopping list could allow you to select from different brands and specials of items on your list and even list the aisle and shelf it's located at.

Excellent!

Now we just need a software designer and an engineer to build us a prototype, and we'll be millionaires!

Yes!! But I still like Dave's idea A LOT!!!!!!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
The local Stop and Shop supermarkets offer a "Scan It" option while you shop. You take a scanning device as you walk into the store, and scan each item as you place it into your carriage (hopefully into a reusable bag within your carriage). The scanner keeps track of how much you've spent and how much you've saved with in-store promotions. At checkout you simply hand over the scanner and pay your bill.

http://www.stopandshop.com/our_stores/tools.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
The local Stop and Shop supermarkets offer a "Scan It" option while you shop. You take a scanning device as you walk into the store, and scan each item as you place it into your carriage (hopefully into a reusable bag within your carriage). The scanner keeps track of how much you've spent and how much you've saved with in-store promotions. At checkout you simply hand over the scanner and pay your bill.

That's more like it!! When is that coming to Florida I wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMB!!!!! YOU ARE SO CORRECT!!!! IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!! GENUINELY, IT'S SO BLOODY LABORIOUS.

What makes it even more annoying is when TV cooks stand there with a kitchen full off bowls of ingredients. Oh this recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare. Sure it does, if you have somebody else go do the shopping and open the tins and cut up the onions, and prepare the meat and have everything at your fingertips you bloody fraud.

There is another solution. We have a tap in our kitchen which delivers fresh water. We should have another tap that delivers food. Turn the tap, out pours food, into your pan. Heat it up YUM.

When I worked up at Monks Cross, my commute was an hour+ on 2 buses to cover just 6 miles. So I would have to go to the supermarket in my lunchbreak, and then lug bottles and cans, and fruit juice and bags of potatoes home. Finally, I just signed up for home deliver. £3.50 to have somebody do all the work and bring it to my door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me of the old IBM commercial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

I have not yet tried the hand held scanner, on good information (my brother is a store manager in the Stop & Shop system) I herd there were some early bugs in the system

I see more people using it, I should try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually some walmarts in the US have a system similar to previous suggestions. You have a card that you swipe on your cart and as you put items in it gives you your total, it also suggests sales based on previous shopping trips. The technology is there it is just expensive to implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
walk_softly wrote:
Actually some walmarts in the US have a system similar to previous suggestions. You have a card that you swipe on your cart and as you put items in it gives you your total, it also suggests sales based on previous shopping trips. The technology is there it is just expensive to implement.

Whoa.......Walmart can afford this expensive technology??????? Well, that explains it!!!!! Real stores may NEVER get it!!!!!

crycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

I have not yet tried the hand held scanner, on good information (my brother is a store manager in the Stop & Shop system) I herd there were some early bugs in the system

A local market was doing this but it didn't last long before they pulled it. I don't know of any stores doing this anymore around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

We had this when Bloom opened up a few years back. No one uses it anymore because it's horribly time consuming, especially for produce. Sounds good in practice, but it's far more efficient to let the professionals scan everything.

Now, with the advent of RFID, your desires will happen. You'll just shove your items in the bags in your cart and go through the outbound portal/door and never even realize that your items were scanned, tallied, and charged against your credit card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

Iv'e never noticed the bugs. The one in Cumberland has had the system for almost a couple of years now. I moved to Providence and the Stop & Shop near me doesn't have one I drive up to South Attleboro to shop there cause they have the system plus it's less ghetto then the one near me.

Thing I love about it is, if I going in the store with say $60 to spend then I can see my total on the handheld scanner and stay in budget. Plus there is never lines at the self service registers, plus you can use the self service 12 items or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

We had this when Bloom opened up a few years back. No one uses it anymore because it's horribly time consuming, especially for produce. Sounds good in practice, but it's far more efficient to let the professionals scan everything.

Now, with the advent of RFID, your desires will happen. You'll just shove your items in the bags in your cart and go through the outbound portal/door and never even realize that your items were scanned, tallied, and charged against your credit card.

We (here in N.E.) have scales in produce section that will print a lable after weighing item that has a UPC code you can scan. It's way faster to use then take you stuff out of your cart, put on belt, stand in line put stuff back in cart, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

That's what I'm talking about Randy!!!!! That's what I'd love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
There is another solution. We have a tap in our kitchen which delivers fresh water. We should have another tap that delivers food. Turn the tap, out pours food, into your pan. Heat it up YUM.

All I can think about after reading this is the tap at a flat I stayed in ages ago that used to spit out brown water.

So many unpleasent mental images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.