Popular Tags: [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played NH two times over the weekend and found it quite enjoyable. However, I experienced a major problem in both games... that of landslide victory.

After the first major battle of the game, there seemed to be very little purpose to finishing it out. Once the balance of power shifts towards one player, there is no way for the opponent to recover outside of random, poor leader draws... which is unlikely.

There appears to be no built-in self-balancing mechanism for preventing a runaway leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the tile draw mechanic is just such a mechanism. If Player A has gotten a bunch of great tiles at the start and Player B hasn't, then that means their remaining tiles are going to be the opposite: Player A only has junk left and Player B has the best yet to come. Of course, if one player gets down to 0 life, there's no recovering from that, but it's very rare in a game with two decent players for one of them to get down to 0 quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've played a few more times than you, and can say that landslide victories are certainly not inevitable. Don't extrapolate a trend from 2 datapoints.

EDITED TO ADD:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/21241?userid=125

I've been noting the final scores in my recently daily games of NH. Certainly there are landslides, but quite often not. Today's game had a 1-point final difference! There have also been 3 ties this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to know! Thanks guys.

Even though I consider NH as "not my type of game", it's the game I'm most thinking about coming away from a 3-day gaming convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Even though I consider NH as "not my type of game", it's the game I'm most thinking about coming away from a 3-day gaming convention.

My fiancee thought it was "not her type of game" also. (Post-apocalyptic science fiction? Wargame? Yuck!) That was a few years ago, before we'd played it a couple hundred times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Skadar wrote:

My fiancee thought it was "not her type of game" also. (Post-apocalyptic science fiction? Wargame? Yuck!) That was a few years ago, before we'd played it a couple hundred times.

It took her that long to start enjoying it? that's dedication!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if you are a new player, then situations like that happen *quite* often. Once both players get to know how to play the game, these situations happen really, really seldom, and board is less aligned by luck, and more by skill.

(Unless your opponent playing Borgo pulls out two net fighters and a few battles in the beginning, and you keep on drawing battles, moves and modules. In this case, blame Fortune herself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
(Unless your opponent playing Borgo pulls out two net fighters and a few battles in the beginning, and you keep on drawing battles, moves and modules. In this case, blame Fortune herself.)

Heh, I must admit that this morning I was Borgo and won a rather lopsided game 13-0 vs Neojungle, thanks to getting 2 net fighters in the midgame and having nice protected places for them to net the enemy HQ, and the enemy had no easy way to attack the net fighters. The game ended pretty quickly after that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's luck. Just when you pull your net fighters out in the very beginning and your opponent takes care of them with some 3- or 4-initiative units. Whoops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.