Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A M
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi all!
I have again two questions and this time they're about these two ancient ones:

1) On Eihort's ancient one sheet it says that

"Eihort's Brood: Each time an investigator gains a brood token, roll a die. If the roll is lower than the number of brood tokens possessed by that investigator, he is devoured."

Does this apply throughout the game or just the final battle?

2) Has anyone won a game with Atlach-Nacha as the ancient one by closing ALL the gates and not just by sealing six gates? I've heard that many more experienced players have played with the house rule that sealing six gates is no more a victory condition, and due to that I just started wondering if it is even remotely possible to close all the gates since with this ancient one all gate openings are gate bursts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes it applies for the whole game

2) I have beat him in the final battle. It certainly is possible by closing all gates, but not easy. There are Mythos cards that don't open gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aphamino wrote:
I've heard that many more experienced players have played with the house rule that sealing six gates is no more a victory condition.
Where have you heard that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:

It's in the house rules by the game designer on the FFG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
Finland
flag msg tools
Syvanis wrote:
There are Mythos cards that don't open gates.

Do you mean those cards that add doom tokens to the ancient one's doom track? But there are only a couple of those, aren't there? Or have I missed some other cards?

Anyway, it seems so difficult to close all the gates with Atlach-Nacha that I suppose my playgroup will probably try to defeat her in the final battle. Of course, if someone knows any good strategies how to close all the gates, thus avoiding the final battle against Atlach-Nacha, I would highly appreciate if he/she would share those strategies with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a way to defeat Atlach. But surely, if I tell you, that would ruin all the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GazPAge wrote:
puck71 wrote:

It's in the house rules by the game designer on the FFG website.
I thought those house rules were pretty much superseded by the Dunwich Horror expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried Atlach-Nacha yet, but I think using Jacqueline Fine would almost be a must if you wanted to try closing all the gates.

Having Silas Marsh would also be helpful (for his personal story).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those house rules were made by the designer of the original game, not the designer of the FFG version. They're useful as an insight into the development of the game over the years, but they're not actually any good as actual house rules to use. If you read carefully, some of them are even responses to rules that don't actually exist in the FFG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.