Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DW Kelly
United States
Lawrence
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you re-enter a player auction after having previously passed on that player?

For example, in a four player game:

Player A bids $1M Basko for "Roo Kie" (player tile)
Player B Passes
Player C bids $2M for "Roo Kie"
Player D bids $3M for "Roo Kie"
Player A ups the bid to $4M for "Roo Kie"

Now can Player B re-enter the auction and overbid Player A?

A literal interpretation of the English translated rules would seem to indicate that Player B could not re-enter the auction, however, I'm uncertain if this is, in fact, the intended rule.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rules sound like once you pass, you can't re-enter the bidding, although it is not perfectly clear. I can also see an argument that the rules as written only allow each player to bid once or pass, but we have played it as an auction style bid. So your example would be correct and player "B" could not place another bid, but the others could continue bidding until 2 more of them drop out.

What is more confusing to me is the rule that "Each season the tallest team manager starts bidding...". Note that this is not the team with the tallest player, but is like a lot of Euro games where the oldest player or youngest player, etc. starts. Taken literally the same player would start the bidding each season. Subsequent auctions each season clearly start with "the manager to the left of the previous winner." We thought it was unfair for the same player to bid first each season, so what we have done is carry over this to the next season. In other words, we determine the first bidder in Season 1 randomly, and then every subsequent auction starts with the player to the left of the last winner. You could also rotate the start player each season.

Overall I like the game and it is a simple and fun "closer" type game. My major criticism is there does not seem to be enough money supplied. We have only played with 3 players and had to use the bronze trophies as "10's". I imagine there will be a real shortage with 4 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
We play that you can't re-enter the bidding, and the lowest-strength player starts the bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.