Subject: Can You Negotiate for Tower Start Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game with our friends for the first time a few weeks ago - had a blast, one of the better received games in awhile. Everyone got into it quickly. One question came up that I couldn't seem to find in the rulebook on a quick scan:

Can the other players negotiate with the Tower Player to use their Start Tower in Any Space card? There were a couple of times where the Tower Player was willing to start in a general area, but didn't really care about the exact start space so started negotiating to be paid to use the Start in Any Space card. We saw no problem with it as long as where it started was the negotiating players action for the turn. Any feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sense you are doing this by indicating where you (the group of players) are interested in going (and by extension where you're willing to pay.) Part of this game is convincing the tower player that it is in their interest to go "your" way.

Remember that what you are negotiating for is the action associated with a particular building. So unless your negotiating for the tower player to start in a particular building that you want, there is no useful action associated with negotiating where the tower will start. By negotiating for the "Any Start Space" action, it seems to me that you would have used-up your action for that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can negotiate for a street space according to the rules. So I don't see why you couldn't negotiate the location of the starting space with the any start space special action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
You can verbally negotiate anything in the game (wide open for that) but I would disagree that money or goods or cards can be offered to coax the owner of an "any start space" token. At least I've never seen that in the rules, which is usually the determinant for what can be done. The rules do not have to specifically deny an action, but they must state an action in order to allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alea says no, Rio Grande Games says yes. Take your pick but be sure all players agree before you start playing.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/77041
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm - I hadn't gotten a clear answer 'til your answer, and now it is more unclear laugh! Not really sure what to do, but it seemed in the spirit to us that you could negotiate with the starting player. Obviously that would be your one action for the turn when that building is activated. Funny that it's not more clear as I can see this happening from time to time later in the game. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rule #1: Have Fun
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has had several long discussions about this.

What we decided was that first of all it is imperative that you cannot negotiate the use of the 'start any space' card - that is, if you decide to use it, you must use it - and you cannot negotiate it's use. This is clearly asserted in the rules on the basis that negotiations are solely either:

(A) Tower movement and it's subsequent action (if it has one), or
(B) Action of the current space

So then we are looking at the moment between the assertion of the use of the card and the actual placement of the tower, which involves tower movement. From reading the rules we read that tower movement is negotiable, so this movement should be negotiable. On the other hand, there cannot be a binding negotiation because the tower is not neighbouring any space, which means that the tower player cannot be paid to move the tower - but can be paid to take the action of where the tower is placed.

Examples:
(A) The tower player offers the placement of the tower to the highest bidder - legal, but pointless, as the auction winner is not committed to fulfilling her bid (it's not binding) and the winner can only pay the tower player if there is an action on that space.

(B) Bob says to Alice 'if you place the tower on the Palace and give me the action, I will give you D50' - legal but not binding.

(C) Another player negotiates with the tower player to place the tower in the market or on the road - there is no action against which to pay the tower player.

So in conclusion one can negotiate tower movement, but only using a non-binding agreement (which essentially means that no contract has been made), and therefore payment can only be made to the TP for the action of that space, or for a subsequent movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.