Hide
3 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick C
msg tools
I've owned this game for 2 months now, and we've played 3 times, but yesterday was the first time we finished a game. First two we played with 6 and it was a lot of fun, but we stopped after 8 hours both times. This time we tried the long game with 3 players and finished on Turn 7 with a domination victory for the English/Protestants. Protestants had 40 or so spaces and all electorates, English had a healthy son, Antwerp, and got lucky with a couple of discoveries, and the entire english language zone was protestant. Ottomans only needed two keys for an auto win, but they hadn't gotten any points form Piracy, and the French were in real trouble having lost their territory in Italy, striking out with their home card, and having all but one of their explorers and conquerers fail. Hapsburgs had lost Antwerp, Naples, and their key in north Africa, and they hadn't gotten Buda back for the hungarians. Papacy was holding off the Ottomans who were going hard at Rome. So questions..

1) As I said the reformation exploded in England. On turn 3 England got their divorce, so on turn 4 they were ready. Then between them the English and Protestants were dealt "Augsburg Confession," "Printing Press," and "Dissolution of the Monasteries." So by the end of the turn after spending points on english new testament I had most of England secure. I was using English control markers to mark the change from catholic to protestant on English home spaces, and that worked fine until turn 5. On turn 5 with the Hapsburgs distracted I declared war and took Antwerp, I then took control of all the Hapsburg home spots connected to Antwerp to prevent any reprisal. The problem was I ran out of markers. So does that happen, or does that mean we did something really wrong?

2) Andrea Doria. Says deactivate and then activate, does that mean if he is currently inactive you can activate him or not?

3) Naval move. If your allied with a minor power and they have naval squadrons, when you spend a cp on naval move you can move both theirs and yours yes?

4)Galleons? When do Galleons come in to play, is there a card that I just haven't seen yet, or should they be there from the beginning?

5) During winter if forces can't return home they suffer attrition, but then what? We assumed that this meant they returned home anyway, but lost guys along the way. Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm fairly sure the hex control markers are meant to be unlimited. It can definitely happen that you run out, though it's a bit rare.

2. That's right. It lets you activate Genoa if no one has allied with them yet, or lets you steal Genoa from whoever has them.

3. Yes. When allied with a minor power, their units move and fight as if they were yours. There's a minor difference for them in the winter step, but they're treated almost exactly like you own them.

4. Galleons is a specific card that pops up later in the deck.

5. I think units taking attrition stay where they are, but I'm not sure. Whoops. Correction: Bottom of page 33 of the rules: "The stack takes attrition (see above) if its path must cross a space in unrest or not under friendly control". So it still seems to take that path back to the capital or fortified space, it just loses some units on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Control markers are indeed unlimited. Yes, really, check the bottom of your box ...

If you run out, use some of the Independent (grey) markers on your home spaces. This is unambiguous, as Independent forces can never control your home spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.