David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I recently finished reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I know, I know. It took me long enough. I had read the Hobbit many moons ago but only now did I finally work my way through Lord of the Rings.

Yes, I enjoyed it. Although I might like The Hobbit a little more.

Anyway, I want to read more fantasy. I know nothing of it. I know there is a lot of mass market stuff out there, but I'd like to read the best of the best for this genre.

Any recommendations? I am already aware of the Fire and Ice books and I did read the first book in the Earthsea trilogy. Ideally, I'd like it not to be part of a huge crazy long series unless you feel it is worth the effort. Small series are ok, especially if they actually end and not leave you hanging.

Any ideas??

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps too obvious, but Harry Potter. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd heartily suggest the His Dark Materials trilogy. Not overlong, but quite awesome.

Stay the hell away from the movie though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try some of David Edding's stuff. The Belgariad and the Malloreon are both very good reads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gormenghast trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get tired of all the serious stuff, try Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Where the Mild Things Are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're in a mood for fantasy and fun give Terry Pratchett's "Color of Magic" a try. Set in his Discworld it is not only good but good fun, too.

Oooops, beat by C W while away from the keyboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is excellent.

These days I'm not usually a huge fan of fantasy, but the writing is superb, and the author clearly knows her Romantic literary history. She writes with a hilarious Victorian voice, and channels everything from Byron to Austen, all with considerable wit and ample winking to the reader. It's a nice take on the conventions, and a fine read.

It's not epic or particularly lyrical, so it may not be what you're looking for, but I highly recommend it to anyone interested in dry parody and a masterful take on the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh! I'd be remiss to neglect the excellent oeuvre of Peter Beagle, best known for the wonderful The Last Unicorn. A Fine and Private Place is great, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Anything by Neil Gaiman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
You have heard of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

I would encourage you and anyone else before too long to try Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind -- just cannot wait for more books in the series.

I would give a Mild recommend on C.S. Lewis's series The Chronicles of Narnia. I would recommend you wiki Narnia for the chronology of the books, as they were not published sequentially by time in the setting. It has a youthful and simple charm and is best read early on in one's experience with fantasy. They don't hold up well for those with more experience. It really helps to have it under your belt before you tackle Pullman's His Dark Materials series, too. The clash of ideals between the two series is more worth it than either one series alone.

I would tell anyone to run screaming from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, for to my tastes it was too long and it had too many sermon-like commentaries on modern society and its politics. Also avoid Greg Keyes' series A Kingdom of Throne and Bone. It only had two worthwhile characters and dragged on so long, only to rush to an end in the last 1/4 of the last novel.

Just having finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy, You may be right now in a good place to not mind the similarites of Christopher Paolini's series the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingir) to Professor Tolkien's world. The series is not yet finished, and is now starting to show mild promise for a new direction at the end of the third novel.

For some pure adventure, R.A. Salvatore's Drizzit novels are approachable and fun. But the series is so long that I can't say that there is any better place to start than the beginning - so a lot of trips to the Library. If the series didn't refer back to prior novels so much I would say to just start anywhere. Some of his novels I liked the best didn't involve Drizzit at all, though. He made a short trilogy called the Crimson Shadow -- One of the characters in it is the best comic reliefs I have come across in fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I ran across this page in a google search. Seems like a pretty good list:

Top 25 Best Fantasy Books
http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite fantasy reads:

Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper:
Under Sea, Over Stone
The Dark is Rising
Greenwitch
Silver on the Tree
The Grey King

The 1st three are spectacular and really draw you in. I read the last 2 to finish the series/find closure, but they aren't really necessary.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud:
The Amulet of Samarkand
The Golem's Eye
Ptolemy's Gate

All 3 of these are really good.

Lavinia by Ursula LeGuin
Excellent!!

Annals of the Western Shore series by Ursula LeGuin:
Gifts
Voices
Powers

I especially liked the first and last book. The 2nd one was not as engaging.

A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle:
A Wrinkle in Time
A Wind in Door
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
Many Waters

All highly recommended!! Mystery Bob is reading these now and loving them!

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott:
The Alchemyst
The Magician
The Sorceress
The Necromancer

I've read the first 2 and they are pretty entertaining with lots of suspense. I haven't yet read the 3rd one and the last one is coming out 5/25/2010.

The Magic of Reason series by Justine Larbalestier:
Magic or Madness
Magic Lessons
Magic's Child

I really enjoyed the first book, was meh on the 2nd, and was very glad I bought the last book as it clears up the problems I had with the 2nd one. Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Redbeardin84 wrote:
I would give a Mild recommend on C.S. Lewis's series The Chronicles of Narnia. I would recommend you wiki Narnia for the chronology of the books, as they were not published sequentially by time in the setting.

I would, in fact, recommend that they be read in the order of publication, not in the order that the current publisher numbers them. "The Magician's Nephew" is the sixth book, although now given the number 1, but it presumes knowledge of the earlier books. This is evident in the text itself. The same can be said for "The Horse and His Boy," now numbered third, but actually the fifth book. When considered in publication order, the books gradually become more complex and layered, again, presuming a knowledge of the earlier books.

Quote:
It has a youthful and simple charm and is best read early on in one's experience with fantasy. They don't hold up well for those with more experience.

Rather, I'd say that they can be enjoyed by children and adults, but for different things. I recently read them all to my oldest daughter, and while she loved them on the "story" level, I found myself discovering layers of meaning in the text.

Quote:
It really helps to have it under your belt before you tackle Pullman's His Dark Materials series, too. The clash of ideals between the two series is more worth it than either one series alone.

"His Dark Materials" is essentially Pullman's response to Narnia. But Pullman's interpretation of Narnia is wack!

So, as you can see Drew and I, despite each having an awesome first name, disagree on these works. You might note that if microbadges speak truth that Drew is coming from the worldview of a Christian, and Andrew is coming from a Worldview of a former catholic who has come to be a Taoist. Perhaps it can be the result of one's own life experiences that colors the lens of enjoyment of each of these series. But I think we both can agree there are larger wastes of time in the universe than a person giving both of these series a chance for themselves and making up one's own mind about each of them, and about how they play against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore is an awesome read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinando Woicickoski
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverending Story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meh. You can quote me on that.
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Seriously, it should be required reading in school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Best fantasy story I've read in a long time. It has about 500 fve-star reviews on Amazon, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogma wrote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Seriously, it should be required reading in school.

+1 YES!!!

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is good too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Dragonlance Chronicles, and Dragonlance Legends. All the rest I would suggest staying away from, but that's six books for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redbeardin84 wrote:

I would encourage you and anyone else before too long to try Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind -- just cannot wait for more books in the series.

TheEbonyTurtle wrote:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Best fantasy story I've read in a long time. It has about 500 five-star reviews on Amazon, too.

No, there's no echo in here

And Even though you did ask for fantasy, Add my name to the list of those recommending the science fiction humor of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More fantasy recommendations here, with links to yet more to be found therein... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/478040/what-to-read-afte...

It does depend on what you like in your fantasy, though. I'm enjoying 'The Gentleman Bastard Sequence' by Scott Lynch, but only two of the planned seven books are out yet, so don't dive in too quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.