Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's go:

1} I played scenario 2. The Germans here follow a special rule that doesn't allow them to move. There are 2 sections in this same terrain. One with a machine gun and rifles and one with a Flamethrower and rifles.

I've managed to kill all soldiers with rifles from the flamethrower section leaving only Jager {who carries the flamethrower} alive.
I drew solitaire cards that are tied between the two German sections regarding which unit activates {or reacts}.
Jager has a range of 0-1 and nothing else. My sections are out of range.

Can I choose to activate Jager even though I know that he can't Advance nor Attack me essentially flipping him to Acted and sparing me for example a potential Counter-Attack from the other section with the Machine Gun?
I guess I can as this is supported by the manual. Of course this will only work with Solitaire cards that are tied when indicating the opposing acting section thus giving me the right to choose whatever I want.

And if I activate him how I resolve the card? Only the General Instructions at the top of the card and nothing else I guess?

2} Jager in the above example was on High Terrain which has the ability to give +1 range to Attacks but this is not mandatory. If there is a certain situation where choosing NOT to take the +1 range bonus is more beneficial for the AI should I choose to ignore this range bonus as a human would have?

Should I calculate the Firepower including this range "bonus" {actually a penalty in this case} because "the player chooses the options for the AI when there are ties" and of course I want the AI to have less firepower?

3} If I have a section that produces 0 Firepower in its current range and draw a solitaire card that causes it to attack with a certain +X Firepower, should I make the attack with this 0+X Firepower or this is a situation similar to this one {as the manual mentions}:
Quote:
It will only Advance instead of Counter-Attacking if it cannot produce any Firepower at its current range.

To phrase it better what are the situations where an AI section produces 0 firepower? When its Soldiers have a dash (-) in their FP column? When they are unloaded? Other cases?
The FP bonus that some Solitaire cards provides is counted for this calculation or not?

I don't know if the above is making any sense so I'll try to explain it better:

I have a Soldier with a dash (-) in his current fire range and another that has X Firepower. I draw a Solitaire card that ties in the Acting section so I can choose whoever I want to activate. The solitaire card gives +6 Firepower.

I choose the Soldier with the dash (-). How is this resolved? He cannot attack at all and simply flips to Acted? Can I do this? The manual says that I choose who gets to act in case of a tie.

If yes, what parts of the Solitaire card do I resolve? Nothing? The first two rows as always?

If no, he makes an attack with 6 Firepower given only by the card even if he couldn't reach in the first place?

Must the attacking section produce at least 2 Firepower on its own in order to receive the +X Firepower from the card or not?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same question regarding a Soldier with an unloaded weapon. Can he make an attack with only the card's Firepower bonus or he can't attack at all? And then does he flip to Acted or not? What parts of the soitaire card do I resolve?

I assume that in both of the above cases the attack is wasted, I resolve the top two rows of the Solitaire card only and the Section is flipped to Acted even though it did essentially nothing.

4} During my session I drew a Solitaire card as a reaction to one of my units' prepare action. This card had as a general instruction that "the acting opposing section gets 10 cover until player prepares". Since I resolve the top 2 rows only in this case there isn't any acting Section right? This card is discarded?
Or in this case should I resolve the 3rd row {the acting section row} and place the card on the indicated acting section even though it was a Prepare action that caused me to draw this Solitaire card.

5} The Solitaire card MOST MORALE activates the section with the most TOTAL MORALE disregarding MORALE counters on the soldiers or the most REMAINING MORALE after subtracting the MORALE hits?

6} What happens when the AI receives reinforcements with equipment counters? Do we add them into the mix?

Also what happens when an AI Soldier which has an equipment counters rating dies? Should we remove any equipment counters from the pool or not?

Phew! It's difficult to describe some things if you don't have the person in front of you and the cards to show them what you mean. If any of the above doesn't make any sense please tell me and I'll do my best to explain it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone? Dan? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I know from certain (from the rules)

3) The rules say "A dash "-" indicates the soldier cannot fire at that range, even with a positive modifier". So the modifier only applies if the section can generate at least some firepower on its own.

The rest I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say choose based on how hard you find the game. For example, 1) and 2) will make the game easier or harder for you. If you want more challenge, choose the optimal option for the opponent.

That said (and from here on everything I say is speculation) , for 1), note how the rules say that when you attack, the opponent's section will counterattack except if it can't produce firepower. That means, enemy sections can be chosen by the text on the card even if they've got no way to generate firepower against you (or else that note would not be necessary). If that's true, then they should be eligible for you to choose in case of a tie.

It makes sense, because just as players don't have to counter-attack all the time, the "AI" won't either, and in those cases it'd be like preparing or moving in reaction to an attack.

With 2) I think it's different because the rule about the player freely choosing only talks about choosing between tied sections. I think in other cases, like applying the -1 range or not, you have to choose what is most beneficial for the opposing player.

With 4) I'm not sure... if there's no acting section, then maybe ignoring the text is the right thing to do, but then again, it's not clear...

5) I'm pretty sure means "current" morale points. So each morale "hit" should subtract one to the total.

6) As the Equipment counters are placed to the side and not on individual soldiers, I think you don't remove any if one dies. The rules also say the solo player may have have more equipment counters than the ones indicated by the soldier cards. I also add more equipment counters if reinforcements arrive. I think it makes total sense... but again, am not 100% sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, can you take a look at my questions above please? I'd appreciate an official answer on them. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Vasilis,

Question 1:
Yes, you can choose activate Jager to attack or react (for no effect). Follow all the parts of the solitaire card knowing that his attack will not cause your forces any damage.

Question 2:
I’m not sure why taking the range advantage would hurt Jager. It would extend his range from 0-1 to 0-2.

In a more general case, for example when the AI has a Morter on High Ground and the decreased range would decrease his firepower then you would ignore the High Ground ability since on the card it states that you MAY treat the range as being one less.

Question 3:
You only get the Firepower bonus on the solitaire card if the force generates 1 or more Firepower.

Scenario rules overrule solitaire rules. If two sections can act then you can choose the one that has a dash to act. Resolve the AI card as normal. If the card says to move but the scenario says he can’t move, then he doesn’t move. If the card says to attack and he produces dash firepower then it is a wasted action. Flip his counter to acted. In both cases, resolve the entire card.

An unloaded weapon can never attack.

Question 4:
In this case, the acting AI section would get 10 cover. Use the force identifier (Acting Opposing Section) to determine which force would gain this benefit.

Question 5:
Most Morale is pertaining to a sections current remaining Morale points.

Question 6:
When an AI reinforcement arrives with equipment, just add the equipment to the AI equipment pool.
When an AI with equipment dies, you do not remove the equipment from the pool.

Thanks for the great questions,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
Vasilis,

Question 1:
Yes, you can choose activate Jager to attack or react (for no effect). Follow all the parts of the solitaire card knowing that his attack will not cause your forces any damage.

Question 2:
I’m not sure why taking the range advantage would hurt Jager. It would extend his range from 0-1 to 0-2.

In a more general case, for example when the AI has a Morter on High Ground and the decreased range would decrease his firepower then you would ignore the High Ground ability since on the card it states that you MAY treat the range as being one less.

Question 3:
You only get the Firepower bonus on the solitaire card if the force generates 1 or more Firepower.

Scenario rules overrule solitaire rules. If two sections can act then you can choose the one that has a dash to act. Resolve the AI card as normal. If the card says to move but the scenario says he can’t move, then he doesn’t move. If the card says to attack and he produces dash firepower then it is a wasted action. Flip his counter to acted. In both cases, resolve the entire card.

An unloaded weapon can never attack.

Question 4:
In this case, the acting AI section would get 10 cover. Use the force identifier (Acting Opposing Section) to determine which force would gain this benefit.

Question 5:
Most Morale is pertaining to a sections current remaining Morale points.

Question 6:
When an AI reinforcement arrives with equipment, just add the equipment to the AI equipment pool.
When an AI with equipment dies, you do not remove the equipment from the pool.

Thanks for the great questions,
Dan

Dan, you are really fast with answering questions! Thank you for the clarifications. I really like Frontline and I want to play it correctly.

Regarding question 2: Yes, maybe my phrasing was wrong. In my Jager example I was wondering if I could choose NOT to use the range bonus so that he cannot attack me at range 2.
From your answer it's clear that we must choose the best option for the AI and not for the player in the High Ground case.

Your answers to the questions are perfectly clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.