BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any suggestions aside from Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kookie antonio
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm new here and also rediscovering military/warfare board games (my first and only was American Heritage Dogfight, which I should have kept, but i was too dumb then shakesoblue ). I just put out an order for Memoir 44 (a toss between Tide of Iron) so that I can introduce my 9 years old son to this hobby. I'm wondering what other board games that are readily available that uses plastic figures? I know for the purist, this doesn't really matter, but it's eye candy for kids and an incentive to get them away from video games. I hope to hear some good recommendations, not only for the plastic soldiers but as well as the game play and mechanics as well. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check up Wings of War: Famous Aces and the following games in the same series. This is airplane dogfights rather than infantry, but it is a lot of fun and plays well with two (although best with more). In particular you should check out Wings of War: Miniatures.

Tannhäuser is a weird mix of WWII and an occult theme that has prepainted miniatures. Plays quickly and and the added "magic" might be especially interesting to your son. Not for the WWII purist though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, WoW:Miniatures is great. My soon to be 6yo son enjoys it and you can create all sorts of stories through the game play (for example, when his plane is shot down, we always play that another plane enters play and has to rescue the pilot from the first one, etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I would suggest having a look at Railways of the World or Railways of the World these are train games that come with trains, stations, water towers and other buildings and tiles with train tracks on so you can build your own railways.

What kid doesn't like playing with trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For playing with your 9yr old son, I'd have to go with Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie, Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro or Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark

I can pretty much guarantee it will be a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kookie antonio
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your quick replies and suggestions. I'll see how things work out with him in a month from now when I see him on my R&R. Then I can gauge if he'll be interested or not playing board games. I really have nothing against video games as I also play video games, but for something like this, nothing beats board game, plus being able to bond with your children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kookie antonio
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and one more thing, I told my older brother about this and he replied that if he was my son, he'd be jumping up and down. I guess we are just "child at heart."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
For playing with your 9yr old son, I'd have to go with Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie, Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro or Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark

I can pretty much guarantee it will be a success.
I just want to second this suggestion and strongly urge you to pick up heroScape, in particular the Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set. Even though it is a little harder to find it is by far the best and well worth the small investment. You will love the soldiers and he will love everything. I like to refer to heroScape as the 'Everything in the Toy Box Battle System' because it really does have that feel of taking out your Lego, your wooden blocks, your dinosaurs, your army men, your robots, your knights and dragons, and having them all slam together in an epic "Battle of All Time". Sounds like it wouldn't work at an adult level but if you're anything like me (and it sounds like you are a kid at heart) it will be a hit for both of you. It is a great game for all ages and in particular to play with your son. I would predict much greater success with this than with Memoir 44 when trying to appeal to a 9 year old, both in terms of the toy value and the simple yet fairly deap rules and strategies.
In any case good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kookie antonio
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll keep all these suggestions in mind. I'll have to see my son's reaction first before going into a buying spree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.