Subject: Silly rookie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sergio alarcon
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all

I am new to Norht Africa, which design i have found very impressive.

But i have tried two times to play and both players could not advance beacuse of our novelty ...always discussing rules meaning and so no playing possible !!.

Does it exist any long explained rules, with a lot of samples, diferent situations, or whatever ( even an AAR (Afer Actio report such us in wargames ) so to follow and learn easily ???

thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergio,
Not really, unfortunately.

The "Living rules" can be found here:
http://www.decisiongames.com/LNA_eRules.doc

and there is a collection of questions and answers here
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@936.73OWaaFNU7d.26@.1dd...

If you have questions, you can ask here or on CSW:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@936.73OWaaFNU7d.26@.1dd1...

One problem is that the "operations" you can choose are hidden away at the end of the rules.

On your turn, each force you have on the map can do one of 4 things:

Move: move one or two regions. Force cards may not move into a second region if the first region is occupied by one or more enemy forces.
Attack: move zero or one region and participate in an attack in that region.
Regroup: Regain one loss.
Prepare: Draw one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
One problem is that the "operations" you can choose are hidden away at the end of the rules.

On your turn, each force you have on the map can do one of 4 things:

Move: move one or two regions. Force cards may not move into a second region if the first region is occupied by one or more enemy forces.
Attack: move zero or one region and participate in an attack in that region.
Regroup: Regain one loss.
Prepare: Draw one card.

This to me is they key thing, if they'd put this at the start of the rules understanding would come A LOT more quickly. That most of the other stuff happens as a result of one of the above 4 actions isn't clear - I found myself getting bogged down in the details of the combat mechanisms without any clear idea of gameplay.

That and some of the fuzziness around combat means a relatively simple game is much harder to fathom from the rules than it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Halder
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
north africa reinforcement
Hello,
does any one know when a player can officially play a reinforcement force card? Is it considered an "operation"? (which would make it playable only during YOUR turn) or is it considered an "Action"? (which would allow either player to reinforce during the normal 'back and forth" action exchanges of any turn. The rules then state that no "action" may be preformed by a just played reinforcement...(I assume that also means no operation may be performed as well)
thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From searching in the FAQ:

1) reinforcements are played in the action segment.

2) You pay the cost of the reinforcing force, then the opponent can play any reactions.

3) Newly placed forces do not get an operation that turn.

So, for example, if the Axis play 21 Pz div, they would discard 3 cards. The Allies could then react with "Malta Air Force", and 21 Pz is returned to the bottom of the axis deck (ouch!)

edit: as to 3) above, its not in the FAQ, but since forces do "operations", not "actions", I am assuming that is what it means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baker
United States
Oak City
Utah
flag msg tools
Only the player whose turn it is can play a reinforcement card. The defender can then react ,if possible , to that reinforcement card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.