John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gang, I just treated myself to a 40" flat screen TV. If I were to buy one video gaming platform, which would Chit Chat recommend.

I am a tactical board wargamer first and I have had some enjoyable experiences with PC First Person Shooter games. I would probably like a Zombie Apocalypse themed FPS as well as a conventional war FPS. I'm not fond of martial arts games or sports games and have little experience with auto racing games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my PS3. Most games now are multi-platform with very few exclusives so you might consider that it also plays Blu-Ray DVDs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...well I tend to always prefer the PC. If your new HDTV has the proper inputs (DVI) then you can just play on your PC with your new TV, though using the K/M could prove a bit problematic in that set-up.

Both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 offer Call of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2, so it's a tie on the WW2 FPS games offered, and Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 are THE definitive Zombie FPS games on the planet (and rightfully so, they are extremely good) BUT they're only offered on the 360.

When you factor in the (arguably) better online experience and match-making offered by Xbox Live, I think that's probably the system for you, all things considered.

I love both consoles and they both offer many strengths but based on the little info you have offered us here, it's the 360 all the way for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what you want more of. There are a few PS3 exclusives of FPS on there, but more Zombie Apocalypse stuff is on the Xbox 360. Both are great systems, graphics are a bit better on the PS3. Also, ask yourself if you want a DVD player too. Then it's the PS3. Or ask yourself, do you want to be gaming today? Then it's the Xbox 360 as Sony adopted Nintendo's early policy of holding on to their systems to make their books better/drive up demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got an Xbox 360 for my son (Ill bet I put in more time on it then he does lol) And the left for dead series is pretty good for a Zombie Apocalypse game. The first one is more dark and creepy but the second one has more fun toys and special infected to play with as well as more interesting situations (love the hard rain campaign in the second one). It can be fun if played online but as usual you have the asshats on the internet and all the problems they bring.

Also the Call of duty games like modern warfare 2 have been enjoyable for me. They have an unlocking system as you play that makes more weapons, scopes, silencers and other toys available as you put in more play time, they also have special perks that give you special powers defeating or enhancing certain aspects of the game. Also I enjoyed the single player campaign it was like playing a movie and has an epic ending. The game also has a set of increasingly harder team based missions for two player split screen that have you performing different modern themed missions that will challenge your team work skills and tactics.

In Call of duty World at War (the WW2 version of the same game). They have a cool single player campaign and a mod called Nazi Zombies (you need to beat the single player game before you unlock it). You only get one map for free but can purchase 3 other ones for about 25 bucks from the xbox live down load options. Nazi Zombies is a hopeless series of rounds where zombies attack in larger and stronger waves. Each zombie you kill gives you money which you can use to buy better guns mounted on various points on the walls, open up new areas with new guns, or risk a random weapon from the random weapon box where some of the best weapons in the game that are not found on the walls are found. Eventually you cant fight the horde and you die... its still fun though and plays online if you hook up that aspect of it.

I suspect but dont know that the graphics on the PS 3 are better but I will leave a PS3 head to tell you about that.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the 360.

And today's Deal of the Day on Amazon is Left 4 Dead 2 for only $34. Tons of zombie killing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
ask yourself if you want a DVD player too

The 360 is also a DVD player. I believe you meant BlueRay :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Also, ask yourself if you want a DVD player too. Then it's the PS3.

Just as a clarification for Scrib, the 360 is a decent DVD player, too, if for whatever reason you just need one. But the PS3 is also (as mentioned above) a solid Blu-Ray player, and does DVD upscaling, too.

edit: What mirth said.

edit 2: And, yeah, the 360 is also the superior zombie-shooting platform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS3 Owner. ++ on the Blu-Ray and if you just have the HDTV with no player I'd get the PS3.

360 is great for other reasons, mainly the live content and boardgaming that can be done there that the PS3 just can't do right now.

Either way you go, get Modern Warfare 2, so addicted to that right now. Online is awesome!

Huck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gaming on the Xbox!!!! Please tell me more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
What prompted the purchase of the TV was I won a Sony Blu-ray/DVD player in a company contest a three weeks ago. (I just hooked it up today)I bought the TV on 13th because I wanted to watch the Pacific on a big screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a small point to most, or even no point, but playing online on the Xbox is not free. Just thought that should be mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meh. You can quote me on that.
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Atari 2600. Awsomest evar. 'nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
What prompted the purchase of the TV was I won a Sony Blu-ray/DVD player in a company contest a three weeks ago. (I just hooked it up today)I bought the TV on 13th because I wanted to watch the Pacific on a big screen.

Then you will most likely want to go with the XBox 360. Though, the other most useful thing to do is to go on Wikipedia and go through the game list and write down which games you like for each system. That produces the best result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you already won a DVD/BluRay player, it seems like the obvious (and cheaper) choice is the XBox 360.

It has boardgames (on Arcade, especially Panzer General: Allied Assault, as well as Blood Bowl, Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc), THE best co-op zombie games of all (Left4Dead 1 & 2), and CoD Modern Warfare is HUGE on the XBox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 numbers... 360
nuff said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Three Sixty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for PS3... are you more than confused from the recommendations yet?? Perhaps you should check out the exclusive games for each. That might help you decide too.

OH... compare PS3's Move and the Xbox360's Natal technologies soon to come too. Both look poised to move way beyond the Wii's motion sensing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS3.

It's a fantastic Blu-Ray player, the PS3 exclusive games are of higher quality than anything 360 and you won't have to pack it up and mail it in to get it fixed which is a reality with owning a 360.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So, to summarize:

360 Pros:
-More zombie games
-More board games to download online
360 Cons:
-Pay for online play
-May have to ship it in if it breaks (has a 3 year warranty)

PS3 Pros:
-Free online play
-Better image quality on most games
PS3 Cons:
-More expensive (for all but the most expensive 120GB hard drive versions)

From all that you have said, I would also suggest the Xbox 360. It fits more with the types of games that you would like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I keep hearing good things about the Atari Jaguar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xbox 360!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.