Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to see people thoughts on this game verse Antiquity, are they even comparable? I have only played Antiquity.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Both excellent. Antiquity is static, Roads and Boats is more dynamic. All about moving stuff A from B to C to change it into D, so you can take it to E to blend with F to make G... victory points start popping up around Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Both excellent. Antiquity is static, Roads and Boats is more dynamic. All about moving stuff A from B to C to change it into D, so you can take it to E to blend with F to make G... victory points start popping up around Z

They're both loaded with DEATH-SPIRAL!! But, it's fun death-spiral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not comparable.

My experience:

Roads & Boats is essentially a solitaire puzzle game. However, as soon as two players came into contact and are able to interact with other players by stealing their resources or using their buildings, the game breaks down and play time increases exponentially. Hint: this is not a good thing.

After I played a "scenario" two times, it became "solved" it we had to move on to the next. Replayability was surprisingly low.

In short: Roats & Boats is one of those games that should just be a computer game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
They are not comparable.
Roads & Boats is essentially a solitaire puzzle game. However, as soon as two players came into contact and are able to interact with other players by stealing their resources or using their buildings, the game breaks down and play time increases exponentially.

That is so not true!

Actually R&B thrives when there is interaction. If you expect to silently optimize in your corner, that is just not the game for you.

Yes you can be violently screwed in R&B (because not only can people steal your stuff, they can also build useless buildings on your precious building spaces), but that's an important part of the game, otherwise it would be dull and repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem isn't the interaction, the problem is the playtime. There is not enough gameplay meat here to warrant the insane playtime increase which results due to potential screwage by your neighbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
They're both loaded with DEATH-SPIRAL!! But, it's fun death-spiral.
I disagree.

Antiquity has pollution to show the land is used, and graves in the cities to show you could not feed people. In short, depressing.

Roads and Boats is all about building up your civilization in the most efficient manner. What can you make of your resources and how can you most efficiently transport them to create new goods, gold, and stock.

There is a certain puzzle aspect to Roads and Boats, and you can play it solitaire quite well. Between good players, the competition can become very cutthroat if you choose a small map. Recommended for 2 or 3. Play 4 only if needed or split up in to smaller groups. Yes, it can be long, but the time seems to fly by and you are involved all the time. Play simultaneously except where conflict arises and keep the game moving.

A good start game (first few turns) is important in R&B, so get some hints from an experienced player. (I am always happy to teach it whenever, and usually do at BGG.CON.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dcorban wrote:
They are not comparable.

My experience:

Roads & Boats is essentially a solitaire puzzle game. However, as soon as two players came into contact and are able to interact with other players by stealing their resources or using their buildings, the game breaks down and play time increases exponentially. Hint: this is not a good thing.

What you describe as broken is the portion of the game I find most interesting. Without that, there's just an uninteresting (to me) solo puzzle.

Quote:
After I played a "scenario" two times, it became "solved" it we had to move on to the next. Replayability was surprisingly low.

Agreed. The solo-game has a limited (and fairly short) life.

Quote:
In short: Roats & Boats is one of those games that should just be a computer game instead.

Nahh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Solamar wrote:
Roads and Boats is all about building up your civilization in the most efficient manner. What can you make of your resources and how can you most efficiently transport them to create new goods, gold, and stock.

Instead I would say that R&B is about building more efficiently than the other players. You don't have to build efficiently if you can ensure that they build more inefficiently. The goal isn't to do well, it is to beat the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now played both Antiquity and Roads and Boats several times each, I would say that the exploration out into the countryside to harvest resources is similar. In Antiquity, you set out the resources that you will get, and take one each round. In R&B, producers produce resources continuously throughout the game, and you have to go to that spot to get them and take them to somewhere else where you need them.

Antiquity ups the ante with famine and pollution - you have to be running to be one step ahead of the game. In R&B, you could walk around in circles the whole game. You may not get anything done, but you won't die, either.

Both can be played with a clash of power, or where you each stay on your own side and do your own thing. We play where we stay on our own side, and try to make our plan be more efficient and pan out better than the other person's.

Both have modular game boards. Antiquity has larger tiles with smaller hexes drawn on, where in R&B each hex is a land type.

Both have tons of chits. R&B's tiles and chits are somewhat more colorful and easier to distinguish. Antiquity's colors are more muted, and it can be hard to tell the chits apart. In both cases, some of the iconography is easier to decipher than others, but you'll become familiar with the symbols pretty quickly.

Both take 2-3 hours for a 2 player game. In Antiquity, it's who fulfills their requirements first. In R&B, you are each building up points, and highest score wins. Both are somewhat free-form in how you get there - you can create your world how you think it will work best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Having now played both Antiquity and Roads and Boats several times each, I would say that the exploration out into the countryside to harvest resources is similar. In Antiquity, you set out the resources that you will get, and take one each round. In R&B, producers produce resources continuously throughout the game, and you have to go to that spot to get them and take them to somewhere else where you need them.

Antiquity ups the ante with famine and pollution - you have to be running to be one step ahead of the game. In R&B, you could walk around in circles the whole game. You may not get anything done, but you won't die, either.

Both can be played with a clash of power, or where you each stay on your own side and do your own thing. We play where we stay on our own side, and try to make our plan be more efficient and pan out better than the other person's.

Both have modular game boards. Antiquity has larger tiles with smaller hexes drawn on, where in R&B each hex is a land type.

Both have tons of chits. R&B's tiles and chits are somewhat more colorful and easier to distinguish. Antiquity's colors are more muted, and it can be hard to tell the chits apart. In both cases, some of the iconography is easier to decipher than others, but you'll become familiar with the symbols pretty quickly.

Both take 2-3 hours for a 2 player game. In Antiquity, it's who fulfills their requirements first. In R&B, you are each building up points, and highest score wins. Both are somewhat free-form in how you get there - you can create your world how you think it will work best.
Wow. That is the most concise explanation of the differences I have ever seen. Well done! I need to snag this to save somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Wow. That is the most concise explanation of the differences I have ever seen. Well done! I need to snag this to save somewhere.

Thanks Sterling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.