Subject: Your house is burning down, what game do you rescue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: humor [+] [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your house is burning down, you have time to save only one game in your modest collection of 1000 games! This is the only game you will have for the next few years. What's it gonna be? It's going to need some replay value at the very least, so it may not be the flashiest game in your collection.

p.s. I'm assuming you've already got the wife or hubby, the kids, the dog and the cat out of the house.

p.s.s. What (game) would you like to throw back into the inferno, whether you own it or not? This doesn't include the wife or hubby, the kids, the dog or the cat!

For me, I'm saving Race for the Galaxy

It's not my fav game, but it will last the distance.

As the house is burning, I'm gonna get the neighbors to look after the kids then I'm going to find as many copies of Monopoly as possibly and toss them where they belong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably die in the fire trying to decide which one to save. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne. It's the only really nice game I have. That, or Chrononauts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
A game or my wife and children?

Not such a difficult choice after all

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I would probably die in the fire trying to decide which one to save. shake

laughlaughlaugh that cracks me up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War. I waited for it for 8 months -- now that it's here, I'm not about to let it perish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh I'd just run out, I've got insurance to cover just such an instance; or I'd save the laptop or something instead, but cats get first saving priority!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Akkermans
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would have to save Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, not only does Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion fit in the box, but it's my all time favorite game.

As for which games to toss in? I think it'd be a toss up between Puerto Rico or Agricola depending on which I could get in the fire first.

(I do realize I may get flamed for that answer, but I'm really not a fan of either of them, just my $0.02)

Scott devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Christensen
United States
Everson
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I gotta go with Tigris and Euphrates. I've only played a few times now, but as far as my collection goes it's the one game that really needs nothing else to make it interesting. Lotta depth there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is the "stranded on an island" question, but with the ability to file an insurance claim and re-purchase my games? In that case, I'd just get the hell out of the house.

But to entertain the concept of the question, I'd save Busen Memo.
Yeah, I went there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilhelm
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either Adv Civ or Age of Renaissance. In other words, the ones that are closest to irreplaceable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta go with either Roads & Boats (with & cetera in the box), Advanced Civilization (with Civilization in the box), Kingmaker, or most probably my CATAN 3D Collector's Edition. In terms of value and cost to replace, that's gotta be my choice. All else is replaceable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane Sather wrote:
Meh I'd just run out, I've got insurance to cover just such an instance; or I'd save the laptop or something instead, but cats get first saving priority!

cbs42 wrote:
So this is the "stranded on an island" question, but with the ability to file an insurance claim and re-purchase my games? In that case, I'd just get the hell out of the house.

To quote the original post in the thread "This is the only game you will have for the next few years" presume your insurance doesn't cover games, and anyway the insurance accessor will decline the claim on the basis it wasn't made in the spirit of the question posted in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my sleeved copy of Up Front, with Banzai, Desert War. All else is replaceable. (One day Up Front will be.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How the hell would I know the house is burning down, when I'm off somewhere on a desert island, playing the game of my choice with any person from history?

[fx] pounds head against wall, while screaming "make it stop, please, make it stop!!!" [/fx]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This actually sorta (but thankfully didn't) happen to me a few years back. I live in San Diego and we like to try and burn our whole city down every couple of years. The last time, I was in an area under an "optional evacuation" basically we were to be prepared to get outta dodge. We never did have to evacuate. Here's what my car looked like while we were waiting for things to go back to normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
How the hell would I know the house is burning down, when I'm off somewhere on a desert island, playing the game of my choice with any person from history?

[fx] pounds head against wall, while screaming "make it stop, please, make it stop!!!" [/fx]

Then stop encouraging us by replying to these threads. laughlaughlaugh and what was that board game you played on that deserted island with Angelina Jolie......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:

p.s. I'm assuming you've already got the wife or hubby, the kids, the dog and the cat out of the house.

so... you're saying we can could, potentially, get 4 extra games instead... right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:

Then stop encouraging us by replying to these threads. laughlaughlaugh and what was that board game you played on that deserted island with Angelina Jolie......

Tomb Raider, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who keeps his entire collection in a fireproof vault?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Akkermans
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impr3ssion wrote:

Funny you mention that, While doing my taxes this year, I had Pimp: The Backhanding sitting on my desk, I have a fireproof box that I keep really important things in (passport, previous tax info, lease agreements etc) And I remember moving pimp off my desk and into the box.

Which is kind of ironic since I was wondering where I had placed that, but that's a good place for it seeing as it's fairly tough to find!

Thanks for helping me out!

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Impr3ssion wrote:

You know, that's a great idea...(wonders if there's a market for fireproof game cases)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Miniatures. It's my favourite game and also the most costly game in my collection. I've probably spent £2500+ on this game alone.

In order I'd save;

1. Girlfriend
2. 1980 Kenner Millenium Falcon (gift from grandparents when I was 10)
3. Star Wars miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them. I have my games in three crates quite near the front door. I can carry all of them at once. It would take me longer to open a crate and pull one game out than to just take a whole crate or all three for that matter.
If I had to choose then it would be Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.